Line Combos: Line Combinations & Point Projections - Early Edish

Do we have a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs

• Total voters

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
We might have trouble with secondary scoring and offence from the backend. Right now this looks like a very flawed team.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Ok. I'll give this game a whirl.

Gaudreau (95)/ Lindholm (70)/ Tkachuk (77)
Mangiapane (55)/ Monahan (66)/ Coleman (45)
Lucic (30)/ Backlund (52)/ Dube (40)
Richardson (12)/ Gawdin (12)/ Ritchie (20)
Lewis (10) Pitlick (10)

Hanifin (26)/Tanev (20)
Valimaki (25) /Andersson (31)
Zadorov (10)/ Gudbranson (5)
Stone (5)

Markstrom (1) .920 Sv%
Vlader, .905 Sv%

Some optimistic projections no doubt. I still think there will be an early season trade and the lineup could change in a material way.

We also have some young guns (queue Twilight Zone music and 1990's flashbacks) that will press for a job this camp. The waiver wire this year will be fascinating as 9 teams are over the cap with another 4 with less than a million in cap room. If we don't graduate Phillips or Gawdin or Kylington, they'll have to clear to go down.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Ok. I'll give this game a whirl.

Gaudreau (95)/ Lindholm (70)/ Tkachuk (77)
Mangiapane (55)/ Monahan (66)/ Coleman (45)
Lucic (30)/ Backlund (52)/ Dube (40)
Richardson (12)/ Gawdin (12)/ Ritchie (20)
Lewis (10) Pitlick (10)

Hanifin (26)/Tanev (20)
Valimaki (25) /Andersson (31)
Zadorov (10)/ Gudbranson (5)
Stone (5)

Markstrom (1) .920 Sv%
Vlader, .905 Sv%

Some optimistic projections no doubt. I still think there will be an early season trade and the lineup could change in a material way.

We also have some young guns (queue Twilight Zone music and 1990's flashbacks) that will press for a job this camp. The waiver wire this year will be fascinating as 9 teams are over the cap with another 4 with less than a million in cap room. If we don't graduate Phillips or Gawdin or Kylington, they'll have to clear to go down.

Those numbers are hilarious.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Problem is fit. Monahan really doesn’t fit anywhere without Johnny

If the Johnny/Monahan combo works, they have 2 good lines. If you split them, you only have one good line

The solution is to trade Monahan but that didn’t and won’t happen until he produces again

I feel like we’ve proven that Monahan doesn’t work with Johnny either tho. I’d rather put Monahan with like Dube and Lucic on a 3rd line and leave Johnny some legit top line mates like Chucky Lindy or Mang. That way we have 2 really good lines and 1 meh 3rd line as opposed to dragging down the top line and having a slightly better 3rd line

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like we’ve proven that Monahan doesn’t work with Johnny either tho. I’d rather put Monahan with like Dube and Lucic on a 3rd line and leave Johnny some legit top line mates like Chucky Lindy or Mang. That way we have 2 really good lines and 1 meh 3rd line as opposed to dragging down the top line and having a slightly better 3rd line

sure but that means you have already given up on Monahan which many flames fans have not

I am on the fence, I want to see one more time if it’s just a health issue

yeah I am a sadistic lol

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If we make ploffs, i'm more confident of our prospects than years prior. But by Sutter's own admission, he doesn't care much about regular season results.

And that's fine considering his track record of success, but he was squeaking into the top 8 with a team that had prime Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. It's pretty obvious his work is cut out for him with this Flames team, but man... this is gonna be an ugly regular season.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021

I feel like I'm one of the only ones around here who would like to see something more akin to a top-9, or a middle-6, for that matter. Johnny and Chucky should be together, but the only player on the team capable of keeping up with them is Lindy imo. Switching Mony to LW would give the Flames a nice one-two punch on the left side with Mangi, and on the right side with Coleman and Looch, but it would mean moving Dube to C, which I'm totally on board with. Metrics obviously don't mean shit if nothing thus far has worked; the only answer for that dilemma is to try something they haven't. It's worth noting that Coleman was used primarily as a C with the Devils, and could be an option between Mangi and Dube if the jury is still out as to whether Dube can cut it as a center in the NHL. I just don't see any way to split up those three that isn't to the detriment of other lines.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I assumed Treliving hired himself a drinking buddy because Gudbranson hadn't been an nhl level player for several years
With 2M Gud can pay for a lot of beer

would be a shock if Kylington is the regular though….he is probably going to take the same path as his twin brother Sami Niku soon

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
With 2M Gud can pay for a lot of beer

would be a shock if Kylington is the regular though….he is probably going to take the same path as his twin brother Sami Niku soon
I don't actually expect Kylington to play regularly but I know at the end of the season we will most likely be talking about needing more speed and offense from the defense while also playing a guy like gudbranson who will make just as many mistakes as Kylington while offering nothing of value to the lineup over Kylington who actually could offer something the other bottom pairing players don't.

Sep 13, 2009
Gaudreau Monahan Coleman
Tkachuk Lindholm Mangiapane
Lucic Backlund Pitlick
Dube Richardson Lewis
Ritchie

Hanifin Tanev
Zadorov Andersson
Valimaki Gudbranson
Kylington Stone

Markstrom
Vladar
Werner

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If we make ploffs, i'm more confident of our prospects than years prior. But by Sutter's own admission, he doesn't care much about regular season results.

And that's fine considering his track record of success, but he was squeaking into the top 8 with a team that had prime Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick. It's pretty obvious his work is cut out for him with this Flames team, but man... this is gonna be an ugly regular season.

You could see them making the Pacific 3rd seed with like 94 points, then absolutely blasting the Oilers who have like 105 in the first round 4-0 :laugh:

Reactions: Mobiandi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

bCiggUj.gif

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021

Those lines seemed a little ew at first, but I actually don't hate them. Seems weird to me that Sutter has Coleman on the RW and Mangi on the left.

Dube - Backs - Pitlick/Ritchie

It would if great if Popsicle made the team out of camp.

Glad that Hanifin and Ras are likely to be paired together.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk torched the league in the last 16 games of the season. So it only makes sense to break them up.

That was still like, three months ago. My guess is Sutter wants to see where Coleman fits best. Watch Mangi hit 30g/70pts playing with Johnny and Mony. Same thing with Coleman and Lindy. I'm willing to wait and see how it all plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad