Lindros with Quebec

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Marcel Aubut picking up a french fry in Mrs. Lindros' plate a day before the draft, to go along with his usual class act, probably didn't help Bonnie Lindros love the Nordiques organization.

This is from Réjean Tremblay.

Le temple de M. Lindros

"Lindros était un géant de six pieds et quatre pouces, mais il était terrorisé par madame. Et Aubut avait piqué une grosse frite dans l’assiette de Bonnie à Buffalo, la veille du repêchage, et elle le détestait."

According to Guy Lafleur, there's another anecdote where Aubut started thinking out loud in french to some friends, thinking Bonnie didn't understand french, and what he said was apparently unpleasant (which isn't hard to believe, knowing Aubut).

Lindros did come to the show TLMEP (Tout le monde en parle) in recent years and he put on the Nordiques Jersey.

It's obvious Aubut was a big problem, even if he wasn't the whole problem.
This is where I must admit that I did not entirely know the whole story.

I was a high school sophomore in the US when all this went down, and all my hockey info came from either Bruins telecasts or the Boston Globe. Not a whole lot of time devoted to Lindros, and although it was mentioned that Aubut and the Lindros family clashed, no one mentioned what a boor Aubut really was. And I’ll further admit that even with more resources at my fingertips here in the 21st century, I never bothered to really learn any more about the situation. Why would I?

Stubbornness is one of my foibles and I freely admit that.

Anyway... I don’t know if I’ll ever “like” Eric Lindros (I’m sure he’ll cry himself to sleep over that), but I’m starting to see that ownership really WAS an issue. Thank you, @BenchBrawl. I never knew any of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Thats a little iffy....
Do you really think that Colorado would have won the cup WITH him. They got a kings ransom in that trade and then dummied montreal on the Roy trade....
I do.

I dont think Lindros at any point was saying "Wow if I would have stayed I would have won...."

Maybe at the moment he realized he would never win the Cup?

Anyway, as I alluded to in my last post, I’m starting to think that I *might* have judged Lindros a little too harshly and am taking ownership of that right now.

The whole situation stank like a brothel at low tide, and I guess there weren’t any real winners here except hockey fans in Colorado.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Orr is regarded by some as the greatest player in hockey history--and definitely in a universal TOP-3 all-time.
Not so fast.
[Lindros] managed to make it into the HHOF but it wasn't even a lock for him at one point.
I make a rough separation of tiers for HoF: upper-division (top-third), mainstream (Niedermayer, Sundin, Bucyk-- that level of player) and lower-division (for the Dino Ciccarellis and Phil Housleys of the Hall). By that standard, Lindros is still an upper-division HoFer-- no worse than a mainstream one if you consider his desires to have influence over his own work locations to be some sort of character flaw.

I believe that Hockey History will judge those who opposed the Lindros induction to be people who embarrassed themselves by their own ongoing grudges.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Orr isn't in someone's top-3, I question their decision making--especially if the top-3 includes Mario--considering his career was banged up and injury-plagued like Orr's. The best player ever at his position--bar none. 8 consecutive Norris trophies, Art Rosses, Harts, Cups, etc. He's no less than 2nd all-time--outside of the top-3 is pure lunacy. :huh:

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
As an aside, whom might your Top Three be if Orr is not among them? Just curious.
Voter#
ChiTownPhilly1Wayne Gretzky
ChiTownPhilly2Mario Lemieux
ChiTownPhilly3Gordie Howe
ChiTownPhilly4Bobby Orr
ChiTownPhilly5Bobby Hull
ChiTownPhilly6Patrick Roy
ChiTownPhilly7Doug Harvey
ChiTownPhilly8Jean Beliveau
ChiTownPhilly9Maurice Richard
ChiTownPhilly10Howie Morenz
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
My case for Lemieux over Orr in less than a dozen sentences

My reasoning for why I didn't spend a lot of time trying to advocate for Howe over Orr:
1)
...passionate Orr-support carries with it powerful antibodies that quarantine, isolate, surround and excrete longevity-arguments. If the SuperBug of longevity-argument cases, Gordie Howe, doesn't get past that defense-mechanism, nothing will.
2)
A certain amount of that was an economy-of-effort exercise. Gretzky is presumptive #1, and needed no advocacy from me. The Howe vs. Orr argument was not likely be be fruitful, as Howe would bring his drum of longevity-ammunition to the duel, and it would all bounce harmlessly off of the anti-career-value armor-plating of Orr advocates.
Lemieux-Orr was the lock I had the most hope of picking, as I thought that Lemieux's near-miss in his prime could be bridged by the fact that he played nearly half-a-dozen more significant seasons than Orr. That effort fell short, as well.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not at all. The team was up and coming because of the ransom the Nordiques got from the Flyers. The reason the Nords and then the Avs were so good was because Hextall, Duchesne, Ricci, Forsberg, and numerous other contributors along with 7 figures in cash came in from Philadelphia. The Nords only had Sakic. Owen Nolan and Mats Sundin were out the door soon enough.

And jersey sales, especially in one of the smallest pro markets in North America, is not a lot of money. Marketing opportunities for Lindros with a cup win in Québec City would be less than and maybe equal to regular marketing opportunities everywhere else in the league.

Comparing Mahomes winning the Super Bowl with Kansas City, one of the biggest trophies in athletics for a medium-sized NFL market, with Lindros winning the Cup in Québec City, the least popular of the 4 North American sports league's trophies in the second smallest North American pro sports market, does not provide an accurate analogy. Not even close.

There was an interesting push around 1992 for the Nords, even before they traded away Lindros and got that wealthy package. They made a couple of good trades.

In March of 1992 they traded Bryan Fogarty for Scott Young who I believe was holding out from the Pens and playing in Europe. Fogarty played a total of 46 games after that. Young had a 60 point year in 1993 with Quebec.

Not to mention Andrei Kovalenko was a rookie in 1993 with a 68 point season.

Martin Rucinsky came to the team in favour of Ron Tugnutt. Good trade as well and it helped them in 1993.

Adam Foote was emerging at this time too.

So yeah, lots of things factored into the Nords exploding in 1993 and only some of it had to do with the Lindros trade. You had Ricci and Duchesne as well as Hextall come to Quebec. Do those three players make up for what Lindros may have done in 1993? We know that a rookie with Philly Lindros had 97 points, so what does he do in Quebec when they already have a star centre to take the load off in Sakic? Not to mention Sundin?

Sorry, I think that team is going to be great if Lindros comes. The Forsberg addition (he wasn't there in 1993) just makes it look like even worse of a trade for Philly but in reality with Lindros that 1993 Nords team looks like this:

Sakic, Lindros, Sundin, Nolan, Rucinsky, Kovalenko, Young up front. That's three centres and 4 pretty good wingers. No problems scoring that's for sure. All you need to do is grab a decent goalie and shore up your defense a bit. That team eventually wins a Cup as well, so Lindros missed out.

Reactions: shills

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
So yeah, lots of things factored into the Nords exploding in 1993 and only some of it had to do with the Lindros trade. You had Ricci and Duchesne as well as Hextall come to Quebec. Do those three players make up for what Lindros may have done in 1993? We know that a rookie with Philly Lindros had 97 points, so what does he do in Quebec when they already have a star centre to take the load off in Sakic? Not to mention Sundin?

Rookie Lindros had 75 points in 61 games. It was in season 2 that he took off and got 97 points. Ricci and Duchesne doubled his points total while getting paid a whole lot less. Hextall was pretty not great during his only season in Québec City. The initial effects during the 92-93 season are not even comparable, it's entirely one-sided for team "Not Philadelphia."

Sorry, I think that team is going to be great if Lindros comes. The Forsberg addition (he wasn't there in 1993) just makes it look like even worse of a trade for Philly but in reality with Lindros that 1993 Nords team looks like this:

The Nords were one of the top teams in the league. Philadelphia didn't even make playoffs. Remove Ricci, Duchesne, and their best goalie that season in Hextall, and they aren't nearly as good of a team, even if you replace them with Lindros.

Sakic, Lindros, Sundin, Nolan, Rucinsky, Kovalenko, Young up front. That's three centres and 4 pretty good wingers. No problems scoring that's for sure. All you need to do is grab a decent goalie and shore up your defense a bit. That team eventually wins a Cup as well, so Lindros missed out.

Oh yeah, but they wouldn't have won the Cup in Québec City as the Nords. If they all stick around and get signed the contracts they would have earned, Aubut runs out of money about 2-3 years sooner and the Nords relocate regardless.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rookie Lindros had 75 points in 61 games. It was in season 2 that he took off and got 97 points. Ricci and Duchesne doubled his points total while getting paid a whole lot less. Hextall was pretty not great during his only season in Québec City. The initial effects during the 92-93 season are not even comparable, it's entirely one-sided for team "Not Philadelphia."

That's right, it was 75 points.

The Nords were one of the top teams in the league. Philadelphia didn't even make playoffs. Remove Ricci, Duchesne, and their best goalie that season in Hextall, and they aren't nearly as good of a team, even if you replace them with Lindros.

But they weren't among the top team in the league just based on those three. Ricci, Duchesne and Hextall don't make up the difference of 52 points. Not if you replace them with Lindros, who probably gets a lot more than 75 points in Quebec in his rookie year. Like I said there were other factors. Sundin getting a lot better for instance. Sakic having another year under his belt, Nolan too. Then the addition of Young, Kovalenko and Rucinsky. Those three alone are at least as big of contributors as the three from the Lindros trade. Let's not forget Valeri Kamensky as well. This was just simply an up and coming team regardless.

Oh yeah, but they wouldn't have won the Cup in Québec City as the Nords. If they all stick around and get signed the contracts they would have earned, Aubut runs out of money about 2-3 years sooner and the Nords relocate regardless.

Wasn't it true that if the Nords had won that round against the Rangers in 1995 that it would have prolonged things for them?

Okay either way we are ignoring the Lindros factor. Him coming in there changes the landscape of the franchise. Think about Lemieux and the time he comes to Pittsburgh in 1984. He is known to have saved the franchise then. It is true Lindros did not have Lemieux's career, but by the mid 1990s Lindros was still "Lindros" and had that wide of a marketing appeal. Not to mention Sakic, Sundin and Nolan on your team among others.

I will never say "never" because the Brooklyn Dodgers moved in 1957 despite winning the World Series in 1955 and playing in it in 1956. Although that was based more on needing a new building and the owner just playing "chicken" with the city and winning. But if there was a person who could revive a franchise it was Lindros at that time.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Wasn't it true that if the Nords had won that round against the Rangers in 1995 that it would have prolonged things for them?

It would’ve delayed Aubut asking for government assistance. The team was still losing a lot of money no matter what the outcome of the playoffs were. Their fate was already half-sealed.

Ricci, Duchesne and Hextall don't make up the difference of 52 points.

Those three had over double Lindros’ point output and were the team’s top goalie while also being collectively cheaper. 160 points and good goaltending is better than 75 points and pretty okay goaltending. It’s better than having Lindros and easily makes up for 50some points.

I will never say "never" because the Brooklyn Dodgers moved in 1957 despite winning the World Series in 1955 and playing in it in 1956. Although that was based more on needing a new building and the owner just playing "chicken" with the city and winning. But if there was a person who could revive a franchise it was Lindros at that time.

That trade revived the franchise. Lindros being there would’ve ensured the Nords relocated. The team statistically performed better without him

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The Nordiques went 7-1 against the sens, 2-0 against the Sharks, 2-1 against Tampa and played 84 games instead of 80.

That a 11-2 records against low hanging fruit, they were 36-25-10 against the rest in 71 games, that 82 points in 71 games would have gave them a 92-93 points in a 80 game season season, an excellent jump from their 52 points they had, but a lot of those points would have come naturally with a team just good enough to beat those expension and those Nordique are getting an 1 year older Sundin, Rucinsky, Foote and Nolan older plus they add Scott Young, Rucinsky, kovalenko and Lindros to that mix....

Nolan Sakic Kamensky
Kovalanko Sundin Rucinsky
Young Lindros
Lapointe

Much more dept that the year before and with Sundin one year older much more elite as well at the top, Foote was only 20 in 91-92 and didn't play a lot, having him older and 81 games is probably a really good addition as well, a bit the same for Leschyshyn.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It would’ve delayed Aubut asking for government assistance. The team was still losing a lot of money no matter what the outcome of the playoffs were. Their fate was already half-sealed.

Well, perhaps, but what I am saying is that with Lindros in the mix the whole landscape and complexion of that franchise changes overnight and my guess is by 1995 we aren't talking about it anymore. Just like how Lemieux took Pittsburgh on his back.

Those three had over double Lindros’ point output and were the team’s top goalie while also being collectively cheaper. 160 points and good goaltending is better than 75 points and pretty okay goaltending. It’s better than having Lindros and easily makes up for 50some points.

Factor in Lindros' physicality though too, which was unique. Either way, you are still ignoring the addition of Young, Kamensky, Kovalenko and Rucinsky. Not to mention the already drafted Sakic, Sundin and Nolan. Either way, this team was going up. Give me Lindros in the long term as well over Duchesne, Ricci and Hextall.

That trade revived the franchise. Lindros being there would’ve ensured the Nords relocated. The team statistically performed better without him

I just don't see how that would be. The impact of Lindros on that team is monumental. He did have that sort of impact. This was Lindros before his head got scrambled. This is the Lindros who was expected to be the "Next One". Anyone that remembers the early 1990s, or even the mid 1990s, that statement was true then as well. It was expected of him. So Lindros and two other future HHOF centres don't help put this team over the top? I just don't see it. They won twice with Forsberg, and they did it without Sundin who was (poorly) traded for Wendel Clark who was banged up by then. How are they not better with Lindros in the long term?

Reactions: shills and popo

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Also I imagine in that scenario, Lindros start in the nhl right away, and that enlarge the what if a little bit, does the really bad 1991-1992 season for the Nordique occur ? Does Lindros learn to play differently a bit, if arriving one year younger he cannot out strength almost everyone right away?

If he start that year, does he become is dominant force a bit earlier, in 92-93 for example and full on by 93-94 ?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Well, perhaps, but what I am saying is that with Lindros in the mix the whole landscape and complexion of that franchise changes overnight and my guess is by 1995 we aren't talking about it anymore. Just like how Lemieux took Pittsburgh on his back.

Lemieux actually did put the team on his back. Lindros topped 100 points once. Lemieux did it 11 times in his career, and was on track for it for 4 other seasons. That was despite cancer preventing him from reaching maximum performance. Lindros was never the type of player to put the team on his back single handedly. He was a franchise player to build around, but he was never the type of player who could ever come near dominating 82 games by himself.

I just don't see how that would be. The impact of Lindros on that team is monumental. He did have that sort of impact. This was Lindros before his head got scrambled. This is the Lindros who was expected to be the "Next One". Anyone that remembers the early 1990s, or even the mid 1990s, that statement was true then as well. It was expected of him. So Lindros and two other future HHOF centres don't help put this team over the top? I just don't see it. They won twice with Forsberg, and they did it without Sundin who was (poorly) traded for Wendel Clark who was banged up by then. How are they not better with Lindros in the long term?

Lindros statistically did less good for his team than Ricci, Duchesne, and Hextall combined. That was already shown. Lindros was also paid more than the entirety of the group that went the other way. If he got paid what he ended up getting paid in Philadelphia, it would have guaranteed the Nords would relocate sooner. Nordiques were not going to take advantage of some big wave of popularity that would come in with Lindros. They were already close to capacity at the Colisée Pepsi, had no options to massively upgrade their TV contracts, and were maxing out their market potential already. Lindros wasn't going to save the Nords. The only thing that might have was a new arena.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Lemieux actually did put the team on his back. Lindros topped 100 points once. Lemieux did it 11 times in his career, and was on track for it for 4 other seasons. That was despite cancer preventing him from reaching maximum performance. Lindros was never the type of player to put the team on his back single handedly. He was a franchise player to build around, but he was never the type of player who could ever come near dominating 82 games by himself.

Lindros, even at what his potential could have been isn't Lemieux, no. But who is? However, he had that "it" factor. Put it this way, in roughly the same amount of games in 1996 Lemieux had 160 points to Lindros' 115. Throw in the physical play and it is closer than the points look even if Lemieux is still better. I am just saying, this is the Lindros we should be remembering. For years it was assumed he was going to be the guy in the NHL after Lemieux. I think people tend to remember the 2000 version of Lindros and think that this way how good he was. I remember the early to mid 1990s version of him and I also remember the hype in 1991 over him. It surpassed anything we saw of Crosby or McDavid. It is a rare feat, but I think he could have been that guy that "builds" a new arena and puts a team on the map. What did they call old Yankee Stadium? Or in Indy they call where the Colts play "the House that Peyton built". In my opinion Lindros could have been that good to make that happen.

Lindros statistically did less good for his team than Ricci, Duchesne, and Hextall combined. That was already shown. Lindros was also paid more than the entirety of the group that went the other way. If he got paid what he ended up getting paid in Philadelphia, it would have guaranteed the Nords would relocate sooner. Nordiques were not going to take advantage of some big wave of popularity that would come in with Lindros. They were already close to capacity at the Colisée Pepsi, had no options to massively upgrade their TV contracts, and were maxing out their market potential already. Lindros wasn't going to save the Nords. The only thing that might have was a new arena.

In 1993 those three outdo him, yes, but overall you want Lindros over them for the entirety of their careers. By the way, I am thinking about this in the mold that Lindros doesn't get his injuries. Think about him the way we view him by the mid 1990s.

Reactions: shills

wanderer34

Jul 4, 2021
Really cool post and insights, thanks for sharing.

Lindros is definitely not the biggest "what if" though in NHL history. Nobody will ever top Orr and Lemieux. But he's a big one, sure.

I believe the reason why he's the biggest "what if" is because of the potential that Lindros had during the '90's. Orr and Lemieux both won a couple of Stanley Cups each and both men were Conn Smythe winners (Orr - 1970, 1972; Lemieux - 1991, 1992) Both men won three Hart trophies, and each men have their own accolades.

Lindros after that 1995 season had a lot of potential. Sometimes I wonder what could've been had we invested in a goaltender and while Hextall was good, he was a shadow of his former self when he was more dominant in the 1980's. I blame the 1990's Flyer front office as to why the Flyers never lived up to expectations and Lindros can't do everything. Just ask GM Bob Clarke.

Also, it would've been impossible to keep three blue chip centers on the same team. There's a reason why the third line is designated for role players and enforcers and the fourth and fifth lines are for journeyman and new prospects. Had Aubut selected Lindros and Lindros gleefully accepted playing in QUE, Lindros would've had a harder time blossoming into the center we all know and love, as he would've had a hard time securing playing time between himself and Sakic/Sundin. While Sundin would eventually leave QUE for TOR after the 1993-94 season and be replaced for Forsberg, the point is that Lindros would have to share the ice with Sakic/Sundin and the QUE market at that time couldn't support all three centers, especially with the old and decrepit Colisée being the home for the Nordiques, which is why the Nords have to move just to win a couple of Stanley Cups.

And a couple more tidbits before I leave: he almost won the Art Ross Trophy in 1994-95. Jaromir Jagr is the winner of the Art Ross that season however Lindros and Jagr tied in that strike shortened season. Since there's no such thing as a tie, the NHL decided to award the Art Ross trophy to the highest goal scorer rather than the highest points scorer. Had the highest points scorer been the hallmark, then both Lindros and Jagr would've both won, but since the Art Ross trophy uses most goals scored than just points alone, then Jagr was awarded instead however had Lindros had another point whether another goal or an assist, then it would've been Lindros' first Art Ross and Lindros would've been the first Flyer to win an Art Ross in the history of the Philadelphia Flyers but the tiebreakers instead awarded Jagr instead because of Jagr having more goals than Lindros.

And Lindros is currently has the 18th most points per game (PPG) in his entire career, however, when it comes to his 8-year stint as a Philadelphia Flyer, his PPG is 1.356, meaning that some games as a Flyer, he'd have maybe a goal or an assist, and other games, he's be able to score a hat trick and even maybe a couple of assists. During Lindros' 8 years, he was a scoring machine and one wonders had the strike-shortened season never happened (Lindros would've probably won not just the Hart, Lindsay, and Pearson trophies but the Ross and even the Selke trophies). Looking at Lindros' 8 ears in PHI, the only other players who have a much higher PPG than Lindros are Orr, McDavid (active), Bossy, Lemieux, and Gretzky. Even Forsberg, Esposito, Sakic, Lafleur, Yzerman, Hull (father and son), Messier, and Clarke didn't have a higher PPG than what Lindros have between 1992 and 2000.

Lindros was three points shy of ever recording 100 points in the 1993-94 season and the strike shortened season cost Lindros another potential 100-point season and an additional hardware for Eric. I still wonder whether the Devils defensive scheme would've lasted has the NHL decided to play 82 games rather than just the 48. PHI had a window but I still don't see how the Devils would've lasted a full 82 games with that strategy and if that was the case, PHI probably would've beaten DET rather than the NJD.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I know a little bit about Lindros as a close friend of mine worked for the Flyers from the 80s through the late 90s. He knew Lindros very well. I will say this...

The Lindros family were good people--they just knew they had leverage at every level and they exercised it to protect their son. The Soo had to do with distance--the family was very concerned about Eric being exploited. Quebec was 100% about ownership. Lindros was willing to go to NY, Philly, Chicago, Montreal, etc. In fact, Montreal was one of Eric's personal favorite cities.

Even in Philly, the Lindros family was very hands-on. Bonnie would often come into the locker room after games, which made some of the players uncomfortable. The family was also overly-protective of Eric and questioned the Flyers medical staff on multiple occasions. Carl also kept asking Clarke to trade for Mike Peca because he didn't like how he was a thorn in Eric's side--this drove Clarke nuts. We know how it turned out in Philly, but I was told that Eric was a GREAT person. He was kind and generous with the Flyers support staff. After the season he would tip the training staff a big amount. He was generally quiet and didn't party much in Philly. After practices he would go to his favorite restaurant in NJ and get two large salads with chicken. After the home games he would pop into Bullies bar, have one drink and leave a $100 bill on the bar for everyone else to drink from.

My friend has been in contact with Lindros over the recent years and said he even forgave Clarke for everything. But it was Paul Holmgren who smoothed everything over. Supposedly Carl is still a little salty but Eric is over it completely.

This sounds crazy but I feel bad for Lindros. He is probably the biggest "what if" in NHL history. He still made it to the Hall, which is a testament to how dominant he could have been had it all worked out.

As for this interview with Lindros--I believe everything 100% because it sounds like the person I was told he was. He never had an issue with the Nordiques fans, Quebec City or anything like that--his family despised the owner. It wasn't even a financial thing--as it was portrayed in the media--Eric lived off his Score trading card endorsement for years and donated millions to a hospital for head trauma research. He is a generous, level-headed man--not some money hungry scrooge.

Slight correction. The Soo had to do with distance and the team on the verge of moving to Detroit.

A local doctor ended up buying the team, and Karmanos got the Detroit Compuware Ambassadors as an expansion team (thankfully that team name didn’t last long).

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think Lindros is probably telling the half truth. I completely believe him when he says that he had problems with the owner, but Quebec City was never a desirable destination for nhlers to play hockey in the first place.

I think marketing would have been tougher too. While Quebec City is a Canadian market, it was probably the most regional Canadian team. They got buried behind the habs in Quebec, and there was very little coverage of the team on a national level, nor was there any interest in the team outside of one province.

Culturally, I think most nhl players who are anglophones would rather not play in Quebec City, where you didnt have as much english being spoken in the city. I cant say this was a factor for lindros, but for hockey players in general, I think this was the case.

At the end of the day, I don't think lindros or his family were thrilled at the thought of playing in QC, regardless of what they thought of ownership.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Should I? I don’t ever remember hearing about that even once before now, but I’ll take your word for it.

On the one hand, I’m thankful Lindros didn’t go to a Bruins division rival, but on the other, it just seemed absurd that he was telling the NHL where he was going to go and where he wasn’t. Who did he think he was? Throw in that mom & dad got so involved made the whole situation even more laughable.

I’m an American who has never lived in Canada. In fact, I’ve probably spent less than 14 days north of the border, so I cannot speak of Canadian culture or the politics of the early ‘90s, but from where I was sitting, it looked to me like there was more to his not wanting to go to QC than what he was saying. Read into that what you will.

He did say that there weren’t good marketing opportunities and his exposure to mainstream media wouldn’t be as great there. How did that work out?

As a Flyer and after, I never saw him in commercials or print ads. He never won the Cup. He never achieved any real stardom outside of Philadelphia and hard core hockey fans. He never lived up to his hype.

AND... The ONLY time ANYONE EVER talks about him is when they talk about the Quebec thing and his not wanting to play there.

Lindros is a footnote.

Yup.

He sure showed them.

Footnotes don't make the Hall Of Fame.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Footnotes don't make the Hall Of Fame.
One single Hart/MVP, one season with more than 100 points, and one single First Team All-Star for a player touted as “The Next One.” He doesn’t even have 1,000 points.

Zero Stanley Cup championships.

And like I said, the only time anyone ever talks about him is when the Quebec thing is brought up.

In my humble opinion, the bar for the Hockey Hall of Fame is far too low. And I don’t have that opinion because of Lindros, either.

Bruising player with some talent, but belongs in the Hockey Hall of Very Good.

Reactions: barbu

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
One single Hart/MVP, one season with more than 100 points, and one single First Team All-Star for a player touted as “The Next One.” He doesn’t even have 1,000 points.

Zero Stanley Cup championships.

And like I said, the only time anyone ever talks about him is when the Quebec thing is brought up.

In my humble opinion, the bar for the Hockey Hall of Fame is far too low. And I don’t have that opinion because of Lindros, either.

Bruising player with some talent, but belongs in the Hockey Hall of Very Good.

The person who averaged 1.13 PPG over 13 seasons had little to "some" talent. Eric had a high, but unfortunately, short peak and was the most dominant player in the game for a 3 to 4 year period.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The person who averaged 1.13 PPG over 13 seasons had little to "some" talent. Eric had a high, but unfortunately, short peak and was the most dominant player in the game for a 3 to 4 year period.
We’re just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, bruh. Dominating for “three to four years” shouldn’t be enough for the HHOF. Like I said, he doesn’t even have a thousand points. He doesn’t even have 900.

Good for him that he made the Hall. I just don’t think he belongs with Jagr; Oates; Hull; Sakic; Forsberg; and other players of his era.

Have a good night.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Lindros is a Hall of Famer by any standard, for sure, and I hold the Hall to higher standards than most.

He didn't win the Stanley Cup. Okay, neither will most of today's best players. So, unless your personal standard is "win the Cup or you can't get in", what didn't Lindros do?
-- Won Memorial Cup as leading scorer
-- MVP of OHL
-- 1st team NHL All Star
-- NHL Hart trophy
-- leading scorer of NHL playoffs (conference champion)
-- 1st NHL points-per-game (four times top-3)
-- Canada Cup winner
-- Olympic gold medalist

In addition, he was the prototype of the NHL player in the 1990s. Teams all wanted a "him". Lindros was an elite goal-scorer, playmaker, hitter, fighter, and two-way forward, and in addition was team captain. His ES results were off the charts, and far better than, say, Mario Lemieux's.

For the six seasons 1995 to 1999-00, Lindros is:
-- 2nd in PPG to prime Jagr (above Forsberg, Selanne, Sakic, old-Gretzky)
-- 2nd to his own line-mate in plus/minus (would be 1st NHL if he hadn't missed games)
-- 2nd in pacing for 74 ES points per season (Jagr 1st at 83 per season)

For the NINE seasons (min. 300 games) 1992-93 to 2001-02 (he missed an entire season), Lindros is:
-- 2nd in PPG to Jagr
-- 5th in ES points (despite missing 215 games!), and 2nd (barely) to Jagr per game

Even in his first season with the Rangers, Lindros was 1st NHL in ES points-per-game (9th in PPG overall).

People can keep going about his club not winning the '97 Finals, but so what? As we all know, if winning one Cup were the key point, that would also exclude people like Marcel Dionne, Joe Thornton, Peter Stastny, and Pavel Bure from the Hall.

Lindros certainly "deserves" to have his all-time player ranking (if such things are important) reduced a bit due to his regular minor injuries and foreshortened career, but there is absolutely no question that he a deserving Hall of Famer, even by very, very high standards.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I think Lindros is probably telling the half truth. I completely believe him when he says that he had problems with the owner, but Quebec City was never a desirable destination for nhlers to play hockey in the first place.

Here's what Steve Yzerman said in August 1991:

"I would never accept to play in Quebec. No matter what happened, I wouldn't go. (...) I don't know what I'd do, but I imagine I'd have no other option but to refuse to report to the Nordiques and stay home. (...) I agree with Lindros on one point. Because of the taxes, the exchange rate on the dollar and the cost of living, it is financially very difficult to play in Quebec."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad