Injury Report: Lindgren, Georgiev in COVID protocol

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I won't support a sport organization that sacrifices public health over matchday profit. Until a time where health administrations condone this type of covid protocol, this is a stance I'm perfectly happy with.

More than anything I'm disappointed in players and staff who have been unable to avoid this situation arising in the first place.

Seems odd to take away from your own viewing pleasure because you don't agree with their Covid protocols.

Whenever someone has told me they would stop watching a sport they love because of external policies, everyone of them has come back.

I have heard of folks who claimed they would no longer watch football because of players kneeling, but none that I personally know.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I hope the NHL is reducing the days in protocol. There has been no updates. They seem to always be a step behind on things. 10 days is a joke, especially with no symptoms, and the CDC even agrees.

A joke is putting it lightly. NFL just moved the quarantine period to 5 days and the NHL continues to postpone games.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A joke is putting it lightly. NFL just moved the quarantine period to 5 days and the NHL continues to postpone games.

I get the whole Canadian border thing, and with their politics, but looking at the Rangers schedule, they are not traveling across the border anytime soon. So why can’t they implement the new CDC guidelines for teams traveling within the US and make it only 5 days? I mean Rangers are only traveling to Florida now , and just like taxes there seems to be no Covid down there either. Lol.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Seems odd to take away from your own viewing pleasure because you don't agree with their Covid protocols.

Whenever someone has told me they would stop watching a sport they love because of external policies, everyone of them has come back.

I have heard of folks who claimed they would no longer watch football because of players kneeling, but none that I personally know.

I have many interests that I can devote time to, football, my work, reading, powerlifting, family and friends. I can also stand by a principle when I'm not comfortable with financially motivated actions that can potentially jeopardize public health needlessly.

I love hockey, I love the Rangers, but if the league decides that "the risk is worth it" without getting a green light from the HHS, I'm out until the public protocol changes.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I get the whole Canadian border thing, and with their politics, but looking at the Rangers schedule, they are not traveling across the border anytime soon. So why can’t they implement the new CDC guidelines for teams traveling within the US and make it only 5 days? I mean Rangers are only traveling to Florida now , and just like taxes there seems to be no Covid down there either. Lol.

The whole Canada thing doesn't make sense in general. The Raptors can follow the new NBA protocol. It's okay for Edmonton to have the WJC, literally bringing in people from all over the world.

Yet, they're the "barrier" for the NHL and reduced Covid policies?

Reactions: Leonardo87

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The whole Canada thing doesn't make sense in general. The Raptors can follow the new NBA protocol. It's okay for Edmonton to have the WJC, literally bringing in people from all over the world.

Yet, they're the "barrier" for the NHL and reduced Covid policies?
The Raptors can be moved if need be and the WJC is a short one-time event.

When you have seven teams and constant border crossings at random times, the restrictions become an issue.

So I get where the league is in a tough spot.

Why the Canadian government can't just make an exception on certain things for the NHL is beyond me. It's not like they don't know what hockey is.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Why the Canadian government can't just make an exception on certain things for the NHL is beyond me. It's not like they don't know what hockey is.
Think of the opposition attack adds, by factions that would actually AGREE with the exceptions being made likely for everyone lol, but still would use it as political fuel:

*black and white photo of PM with mouth open pointing finger*
THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, HE FORCED FAMILIES APART, KIDS FROM NORMAL SOCIALIZING, BUT RICH WHITE NHL GETS EXEMPTIONS FROM SUPPOSED SAFETY RULES SO HE COULD POCKET THE ECONOMIC BENEFITS FOR HIMSELF

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Think of the opposition attack adds, by factions that would actually AGREE with the exceptions being made likely for everyone lol, but still would use it as political fuel:

*black and white photo of PM with mouth open pointing finger*
THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, HE FORCED FAMILIES APART, KIDS FROM NORMAL SOCIALIZING, BUT RICH WHITE NHL GETS EXEMPTIONS FROM SUPPOSED SAFETY RULES SO HE COULD POCKET THE ECONOMIC BENEFITS FOR HIMSELF
This is true. Politicians are constantly offering solutions they themselves would oppose.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006

When you have seven teams and constant border crossings at random times, the restrictions become an issue.

Are border crossings really that big of a deal? The Rangers traveled farther for the Florida trip than they would going to Toronto or Montreal. I will assume they're on chartered flights and not trains like the 1940's.

Just seems to me it's another thing that's blown out of proportion but maybe there's a Covid force field at the border.

I'm with you on the idea that the Canadian Gov't needs to budge here on this.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Are border crossings really that big of a deal? The Rangers traveled farther for the Florida trip than they would going to Toronto or Montreal. I will assume they're on chartered flights and not trains like the 1940's.

Just seems to me it's another thing that's blown out of proportion but maybe there's a Covid force field at the border.

I'm with you on the idea that the Canadian Gov't needs to budge here on this.
I agree with you.

I'm all for being careful with covid and doing what's sensible. I've got three doses in me and if the time comes for four, five, six, seven, no skin off my nose. To me, that's relatively non-disruptive and highly effective. It makes sense to me.

The border thing doesn't make sense. I've said it before: the virus doesn't have feet and it doesn't have wings. It travels between people. You have to have contact with a person. "Airborne" is just a means of personal contact. You're not bringing the virus into a community by crossing a land border. Visiting players have very little contact outside of other hockey people.

If Canada had no covid, then I could see "well nobody goes in or out right now" but they have community transmission and experts have said zero covid is long since impossible.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Canadian law still needs to jive with this or it means nothing in regards to those games.

If a team is not traveling across the border for like say 2 weeks then it benefits them. Players won’t miss as much time. But I agree Canada needs to be on board with this .

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

Why the Canadian government can't just make an exception on certain things for the NHL is beyond me.
It's not like they don't know what hockey is.

Its the principle of fairness. Everything applies to everyone and exceptions are exceedingly rare. Without that, everyone can make a good argument for why they need an exception and the whole thing crumbles.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Its the principle of fairness. Everything applies to everyone and exceptions are exceedingly rare. Without that, everyone can make a good argument for why they need an exception and the whole thing crumbles.
Being an NHL player is exceedingly rare. It is inherently an exceptional operation.

The entire population is low-risk and regular travel is absolutely necessary to do their job.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Canada is slightly more culturally egalitarian than the USA so the no exceptions thing makes some sense.

Still think it's weird that Canadian players on USA teams in MLS count as international while USA players on Canadian teams in MLS don't count as international, however. I remember when Garber was asked about that he mentioned some sort of anti discriminatory ordinances in the USA

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I agree with you.

I'm all for being careful with covid and doing what's sensible. I've got three doses in me and if the time comes for four, five, six, seven, no skin off my nose. To me, that's relatively non-disruptive and highly effective. It makes sense to me.

The border thing doesn't make sense. I've said it before: the virus doesn't have feet and it doesn't have wings. It travels between people. You have to have contact with a person. "Airborne" is just a means of personal contact. You're not bringing the virus into a community by crossing a land border. Visiting players have very little contact outside of other hockey people.

If Canada had no covid, then I could see "well nobody goes in or out right now" but they have community transmission and experts have said zero covid is long since impossible.

I'm right there with you man on all of that. Hopefully Canada will follow suit on the new protocols and we can get past this silliness.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad