Injury Report: Lindgren, Georgiev in COVID protocol

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Take a look around the league, if you don't think he'll get to play big minutes in the NHL then you're more optimistic than me. We had 3 players put in protocol Sunday, pretty safe to say there's more on the way.

As of now, Taxi squads are only until the All-Star break anyway.
I'm just pessimistic it will happen. I would've brought him in already as a 6th defensman in any case, because we need more D who are able to move the puck.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
You'll stop watching hockey if they test individuals not displaying symptoms less? (Which is what the NFL did) Or perhaps allow asymptomatic players to return more quickly than the 10 days?

Both of those seem perfectly reasonable to me.

Asymptomatic spread is not the same danger is was last year. We're dealing with a population in the NHL that's almost entirely vaccinated, which reduces a lot of the spread. This is a less severe variant and has produced more asymptomatic cases than previously observed. Individuals who never develop symptoms shed less virus than pre-symptomatic cases.

You mentioned risk to the public and public interest. Where are these players interacting with the public? When traveling with their teammates and staff, or when they're home during Christmas? If your concern is a chain of asymptomatic infections getting to a high-risk person, the league taking longer to start up only seems to worsen that issue to me. And regardless, I don't think a sample of 600 individuals is driving public risk in any way.

The cancellations are kicking the can down the road. It's not like these players are hunkering down with the time off. They're going to bars, seeing people outside the team, and just generally f***ing off. Being with the team is probably the safest thing to do, and the more they wait, the more cases they'll have.

Like I said, the NHL is either going to have to adopt the mentality of "only worry about it if they're actually sick" or just call the season. Those are going to be the realistic choices.

This is in part because there are too many people stuck in March-June 2020 and not understanding what has changed since then. We're no longer dealing with a huge unknown. There is a very small unknown at this point, and even that you can begin to take educated guesses on what is about to transpire around the world.

Updated protocols is a must. Cannot continue to treat players like they would have been last season, especially before a vaccine. The changes that have been made so far with the taxi squad isn't enough.

The only thing the NHL does have going for them that the other leagues do not is a baked in 3 week break for the Olympics that is still in place, but they won't be doing. Sure, building availability is up to question, but I'm sure there is enough wiggle room to get all these postponements added in that three week stretch and take some of the condensed games at the back end and move them up. They can be aggressive because they added in around 12-14 days to their calendar that were not there a few weeks ago.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You'll stop watching hockey if they test individuals not displaying symptoms less? (Which is what the NFL did) Or perhaps allow asymptomatic players to return more quickly than the 10 days?

Both of those seem perfectly reasonable to me.

Asymptomatic spread is not the same danger is was last year. We're dealing with a population in the NHL that's almost entirely vaccinated, which reduces a lot of the spread. This is a less severe variant and has produced more asymptomatic cases than previously observed. Individuals who never develop symptoms shed less virus than pre-symptomatic cases.

You mentioned risk to the public and public interest. Where are these players interacting with the public? When traveling with their teammates and staff, or when they're home during Christmas? If your concern is a chain of asymptomatic infections getting to a high-risk person, the league taking longer to start up only seems to worsen that issue to me. And regardless, I don't think a sample of 600 individuals is driving public risk in any way.

The cancellations are kicking the can down the road. It's not like these players are hunkering down with the time off. They're going to bars, seeing people outside the team, and just generally f***ing off. Being with the team is probably the safest thing to do, and the more they wait, the more cases they'll have.

Like I said, the NHL is either going to have to adopt the mentality of "only worry about it if they're actually sick" or just call the season. Those are going to be the realistic choices.

according to the medical experts, if you have Covid or test positive, as long as you have the vaccine or the vaccine and booster, I believe the quarantine time is less as well. I wanna say I heard the talking heads on the idiot box say it’s 5 days for fully vaxxed people as opposed to the standard 10-14 days from last season.
But you’re right, their current system blows. I don’t know if Canada Is making it that much harder, but whatever the case is, they need to figure something out.
It’s not as if the virus is just going to stop spreading if everyone gets a vaccine. Obviously there’s millions of cases of people who have the vaccine/booster and still have covid or are asymptomatic and feel normal and just keep spreading it around the population.
You can’t expect all these guys that feel normal in their mid/young 20s and 30s going to all these different cities for 2-3 days at a clip to just sit in their hotel rooms the entire time before practice or a game.
The problem is even bigger when their home like you said because they are going about their normal everyday lives- going grocery shopping, getting dry cleaning, going to the mall, out to dinner/lunch, all the shit people do when they have free time.
So they get a test, let’s say it’s positive. But they’ve already been going for multiple places for days either being a carrier or a spreader asymptomatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Machinehead

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
When is the next game exactly? What about the month off w the Olympics?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Rangers are waiting on Hartford testing results before taxi squad recalls. Gotta imagine there will be a few especially since they only have 6 available D for the road trip.
Yeah I saw Brooksie's tweet right after posting. On the AHL transactions page a lot of teams have I guess already got those results and made taxi squad moves. I guess the Rangers will do the same basically as soon as the results are back.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All this testing is to ostensibly stop spread. It's failing miserably to do that. It isn't designed to do that. You're around your teammates constantly. By the time you've tested positive, you've already exposed them.

If you're going to be around somebody you're not normally around, particularly if they're at risk, then I get the testing.

But if you get covid, guess what? Your everyday contacts (people you live with and people you work with) are already exposed. Nothing is stopping that. Not testing, not masks, not distancing. Your only weapons are vaccination and luck.

Guys together on a hockey team are exposed to each other. Probably even more so than a household because they have the exact same working hours.

That's precisely why they did a bubble in the past. We can't stop exposure between the players, that's literally impossible, but we can stop exposure to the outside world. Players won't go for that for a whole season and that makes sense.

So we're back to the choices being lump it or just call the season. Those were always the choices. More rules and day-to-day pauses are just putting spices on a burnt meal. It's burnt. Now you eat it or don't eat it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Protocol should only be 5 days now, I would think?

"Close contacts" is interesting to me.

I read the league's whole protocol and apparently they do partake in contact tracing which is funny because isn't that like, the entire team?

Then those people are supposed to isolate but they can't because like, it's the entire team?

Nothing about this makes sense because a pro sports team is such a unique enterprise.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
"Close contacts" is interesting to me.

I read the league's whole protocol and apparently they do partake in contact tracing which is funny because isn't that like, the entire team?

Then those people are supposed to isolate but they can't because like, it's the entire team?

Nothing about this makes sense because a pro sports team is such a unique enterprise.

That is kinda silly to trace with a pro sports team, it’s like um the entire team was in contact? I do hope that they implement these new guidelines into the NHL protocol. With only 5 days, players would only miss 2, at worst 3 games.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That is kinda silly to trace with a pro sports team, it’s like um the entire team was in contact? I do hope that they implement these new guidelines into the NHL protocol. With only 5 days, players would only miss 2, at worst 3 games.
If they're not symptomatic, they shouldn't miss any time. Who are we protecting? Their teammates who they're already exposed to?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If they're not symptomatic, they shouldn't miss any time. Who are we protecting? Their teammates who they're already exposed to?

Oh I agree. But you know how things are, I’m hoping worst case it will be only 5 days now.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The NBA just moved their minimum quarantine to 6 days. They have the Raptors, maybe Canada will allow that for hockey as well.
Can always keep individual players from crossing the border if they’re not Canada Clean yet. With so many Canadian teams it gets a bit complicated though

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
No you won't.

Nono I'll absolutely do that.

I'm more than happy to review my opinion if healthofficials are supporting this, but if the sport franchises take it upon themselves to dictate public health protocol as an excuse to generate revenue, I can't support that.

Asymptomatic carriers and their teammates aren't the ones they are putting at risk, its the cascade of infection that they might bring along with them that ripple out into the communities. I know that many people are fine with that risk/entertainment factor, but I'm not.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

I'm more than happy to review my opinion if healthofficials are supporting this, but if the sport franchises take it upon themselves to dictate public health protocol as an excuse to generate revenue, I can't support that.

Asymptomatic carriers and their teammates aren't the ones they are putting at risk, its the cascade of infection that they might bring along with them that ripple out into the communities. I know that many people are fine with that risk/entertainment factor, but I'm not.

There will always be a risk factor since the virus will never go away. Being neurotic about it isn't going to help either.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

So, you'll quit watching hockey because of NHL health policies?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
So, you'll quit watching hockey because of NHL health policies?

I won't support a sport organization that sacrifices public health over matchday profit. Until a time where health administrations condone this type of covid protocol, this is a stance I'm perfectly happy with.

More than anything I'm disappointed in players and staff who have been unable to avoid this situation arising in the first place.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
There will always be a risk factor since the virus will never go away. Being neurotic about it isn't going to help either.

I'm not neurotic about anything. On the contrary I'd be quite happy with this as long as it was based on guidelines issued by a governing body who can put forward advice based on current developing research in a very fluid covid wave. Right now this is a guideline motivated by a want to play hockey and get fans to the stadiums, "balancing" that with the need to protect the public.

I have a real problem with the NHL wanting to "balance" anything on their own accord.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The NBA just moved their minimum quarantine to 6 days. They have the Raptors, maybe Canada will allow that for hockey as well.

I hope the NHL is reducing the days in protocol. There has been no updates. They seem to always be a step behind on things. 10 days is a joke, especially with no symptoms, and the CDC even agrees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad