Injury Report: Lindgren, Georgiev in COVID protocol

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Gotta go Hajek/Fox, Miller/Trouba, Tinordi/Nils I guess. Can't complain when everybody is going through similar ish.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
The Rangers practiced today and testing started back up today as the holiday break officially ended.

And the NHL simply can't do the testing the NFL does. Whether you agree with it or not, the NHL has to deal with the Canadian government unlike the NFL and that's something they simply will not allow.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
The NFL has recently changed a lot of their testing protocols as the majority of the positive tests have been asymptomatic, much like the NHL.

This link explains it pretty well:
What to know about the NFL's overhauled COVID-19 protocols: Will less testing stabilize the season?

Well asymptomatic carriers aren't the ones you're testing to protect, its for whoever the asymptomatic carrier can affect. The article even points out that the NFL are balancing the need to get the season done with the risk to the general public. The entire point of the global pandemic response has been to precisely limit transfer from asymptomatic carriers, as people who display symptoms in most cases know to get checked and self quarantine.

Its nice that sport franchies take it upon themselves to decide whats in the publics best interest. And yes, I get that everyone are sick and tired of this thing. No, this isn't a common cold.

Reducing the number of positive cases by not testing players. What a novel concept.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Well asymptomatic carriers aren't the ones you're testing to protect, its for whoever the asymptomatic carrier can affect. The article even points out that the NFL are balancing the need to get the season done with the risk to the general public. The entire point of the global pandemic response has been to precisely limit transfer from asymptomatic carriers, as people who display symptoms in most cases know to get checked and self quarantine.

Its nice that sport franchies take it upon themselves to decide whats in the publics best interest. And yes, I get that everyone are sick and tired of this thing. No, this isn't a common cold.

Reducing the number of positive cases by not testing players. What a novel concept.
True, but also positives tests were previously utilized as an indicator to the numbers of hospitalizations and then deaths.

While not hyper accurate indicators, they were close enough to predict where the spikes were beginning and heading and how to prepare for the numbers that those tests alerted to.

Now, with vaccines, variant strains that are more infectious... yes... but not nearly as deadly and even the now 2, I believe, FDA approved treatment drugs... the testing becomes less important and almost alarmist when looked at through the same "predictor" lens.

I am NO fan, AT ALL of the "slow the testing down" rhetoric but testing positive today, doesn't portend the doom it did a year ago.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006

I'm not going to get into a Covid debate. You asked a question, I provided a response.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Sounds like there are gonna be taxi squads coming. Gotta think Jones will be on that squad, could be seeing him soon.
No he won't lol. The reason he hasn't been called up so far is they don't want to play him at that #6/#7 role, would rather have him play big minutes in the AHL. They sure as hell are not calling him up to be in the taxi squad to sit in the press box.

Reunanen or someone like him would be my guess TBH.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
No he won't lol. The reason he hasn't been called up so far is they don't want to play him at that #6/#7 role, would rather have him play big minutes in the AHL. They sure as hell are not calling him up to be in the taxi squad to sit in the press box.

Reunanen or someone like him would be my guess TBH.

Take a look around the league, if you don't think he'll get to play big minutes in the NHL then you're more optimistic than me. We had 3 players put in protocol Sunday, pretty safe to say there's more on the way.

As of now, Taxi squads are only until the All-Star break anyway.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I want to be ok with that, but I'll just cancel my various subscriptions and forget about the sport I've been following for 30 years if they do that.
You'll stop watching hockey if they test individuals not displaying symptoms less? (Which is what the NFL did) Or perhaps allow asymptomatic players to return more quickly than the 10 days?

Both of those seem perfectly reasonable to me.

Asymptomatic spread is not the same danger is was last year. We're dealing with a population in the NHL that's almost entirely vaccinated, which reduces a lot of the spread. This is a less severe variant and has produced more asymptomatic cases than previously observed. Individuals who never develop symptoms shed less virus than pre-symptomatic cases.

You mentioned risk to the public and public interest. Where are these players interacting with the public? When traveling with their teammates and staff, or when they're home during Christmas? If your concern is a chain of asymptomatic infections getting to a high-risk person, the league taking longer to start up only seems to worsen that issue to me. And regardless, I don't think a sample of 600 individuals is driving public risk in any way.

The cancellations are kicking the can down the road. It's not like these players are hunkering down with the time off. They're going to bars, seeing people outside the team, and just generally f***ing off. Being with the team is probably the safest thing to do, and the more they wait, the more cases they'll have.

Like I said, the NHL is either going to have to adopt the mentality of "only worry about it if they're actually sick" or just call the season. Those are going to be the realistic choices.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00