Linden "Playoff Performer?" Vey - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Bieksa was correct when he said last year that it has nothing to do with age but rather how good a player actually is. Now it was funny coming from Bieksa given his play but he is 100% correct.

Even if the age gap needed to be filled it doesn't let one off the hook for poor execution. Gillis was left with the same age gap by Nonis. Gillis went the FA route and unearthed Tanev, Lack and Kenins for example. There were other ways to do it other than spend a second on a guy dropping on another teams depth chart.

What little I heard Linden say yesterday annoyed me. He talked about how Corrado doesn't have any attributes that really set him apart and make him special at this point. Sure it's true but the same thing applies to Vey and it was this management group that picked him up and should have known this. Vey came exactly as advertised.

I've been #16 in ball and hockey since I was 15 (when Linden entered the league). I changed my number this year. It's #93. Petr flippling Nedved (though I'm not sure he actually wore 93 for vancouver it's who I thought of when I was handed the jersey..refusing to wear 16).

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE MADE ME DO TREVOR!

Last edited:

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
Someone had to pay for Vey's new house. It wasn't going to be his dad Willie or himself.

You must be really upset about this chain of events, what are you going to post about without the Vey Desjardins dynamic? You can keep us updated on how he's doing in Utica if it makes you happy!

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
You must be really upset about this chain of events, what are you going to post about without the Vey Desjardins dynamic? You can keep us updated on how he's doing in Utica if it makes you happy!

Actually, I won't be doing that, thank you.

I will likely voice my distaste for the management and occasionally praise the players who are performing well.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Bieksa was correct when he said last year that it has nothing to do with age but rather how good a player actually is. Now it was funny coming from Bieksa given his play but he is 100% correct.

Even if the age gap needed to be filled it doesn't let one off the hook for poor execution. Gillis was left with the same age gap by Nonis. Gillis went the FA route and unearthed Tanev, Lack and Kenins for example. There were other ways to do it other than spend a second on a guy dropping on another teams depth chart.

What little I heard Linden say yesterday annoyed me. He talked about how Corrado doesn't have any attributes that really set him apart and make him special at this point. Sure it's true but the same thing applies to Vey and it was this management group that picked him up and should have known this. Vey came exactly as advertised.

I've been #16 in ball and hockey since I was 15 (when Linden entered the league). I changed my number this year. It's #93. Petr flippling Nedved (though I'm not sure he actually wore 93 for vancouver it's who I thought of when I was handed the jersey..refusing to wear 16).

Linden isn't wrong. Corrado indeed does not have any attributes that set him apart from the rest of his competition.

Offensive potential? Hutton
Defensive potential? Tanev
PP quarterback? Weber
Physicality? Sbisa
Even Biega played a better overall game than him

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Im pretty stoked to have vey in the organization, going to be a big boost for Utica. And hopefully he gets it together there for his eventual call up.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
It sucks that we lose a young asset in Corrado for nothing, but that is life. I think at this point in his career he is a long shot to be a good NHL player and we couldn't just keep him on the team to not lose him and send a better guy to the minors.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Linden isn't wrong. Corrado indeed does not have any attributes that set him apart from the rest of his competition.

Offensive potential? Hutton
Defensive potential? Tanev
PP quarterback? Weber
Physicality? Sbisa
Even Biega played a better overall game than him

Didn't say he was wrong. In fact said it was true.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Here's the thing about Corrado, unless he has been completely hiding his game, his highest upside based on his performance to date is maybe 4th-6th on any decent team. 4th at the very highest.

It's not like they waived the next Bobby Orr, or even the next Chris Tanev. They waived the next Andrew Alberts.

There are many things this management team does that I find just plain wrong. This is not one worth really even thinking about.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

Vey's plus quality was that he put up major points in the AHL. Strong offensive player. Then he failed to translate that to the NHL in the time he was given.

I see where you're going with your comments, but what Linden said about Corrado doesn't apply to Vey. Corrado didn't even dominate in the AHL. He simply played an okay all-around game, from what I can gather.

By the way, I don't know why everyone seems to think we've seen the last of Vey. An injury here or there, and assuming he doesn't get claimed, and there's a good chance he'll be back up with the big club for a while. Which is okay. He can play a shift without hurting you too much and even play on your power play a bit, which is good depth to have.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Vey's plus quality was that he put up major points in the AHL. Strong offensive player. Then he failed to translate that to the NHL in the time he was given.

I see where you're going with your comments, but what Linden said about Corrado doesn't apply to Vey. Corrado didn't even dominate in the AHL. He simply played an okay all-around game, from what I can gather.

By the way, I don't know why everyone seems to think we've seen the last of Vey. An injury here or there, and assuming he doesn't get claimed, and there's a good chance he'll be back up with the big club for a while. Which is okay. He can play a shift without hurting you too much and even play on your power play a bit, which is good depth to have.

Oh we haven't seen the last of Vey....unfortunately. While Corrado hasn't excelled in the AHL I still think the comments apply to Vey. There is nothing that makes him special. Nothing that makes one say "that could get him to the NHL". Many players put up points in the AHL but don't have that something which allows them to take the next step. That should have been seen by the pro-scouting. Because let's face it, he was promoted as a top 6 solution and is so incredibly far removed from that ability it was a scouting error. A pretty big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad