Linden gets Larscheid on TEAM 1040 (Mod Warning: Post#23)

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Yipppee... greatest colour man in the game!

“I just came from the Canucks dressing room and Pavel's groin has never felt better.â€

"I could watch Paul Kariya play with himself all day"

Bring it Tommy!

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
All I can say is that I always liked Larscheid. I appreciate his enthusiasm.

Yipppee... greatest colour man in the game!

“I just came from the Canucks dressing room and Pavel's groin has never felt better.”

"I could watch Paul Kariya play with himself all day"

Bring it Tommy!

He has such a passion for the Canucks it made listening fun. Personally I dislike Tomlinson because he basically tries to hard to be Tommy L. You cannot duplicate that kind of enthusiasm and passion and when you try it shows.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Hey guys if a man in his early 90s can do LA dogers games why not bring back the old gang if their healthy enough

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Larscheid was great his last few years here. So blunt and honest, just told it like it was. He wasn't a homer at all, he was very critical about who wasn't playing well.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I loved Larscheid. He was just himself on the radio. A fan. If things get high or low, I don't want to listen to some monotone, analytical, objective colour guy try to explain what's going on. I want to listen to someone express what I'm feeling as a fan.

Great post,exactly how I felt about him...Tommy actually brought color to the color man gig and and was a great sidekick to Jim Robson and Shorty along with being a big part of the Canucks history.It will be great to hear him again and it would be cool to have him in the booth for a few games time to time.
Hearing at the time that Gillis might have played a part in forcing him out really made me wonder about Gillis character.Kind of ironic,really.

bo2shink*

Hey guys if a man in his early 90s can do LA dogers games why not bring back the old gang if their healthy enough

For all the flack Bob Cole gets, it's worth mentioning he turns 81 this year. If I can see and talk and stay up till 10pm at 80 I'll consider it a success.

Wetcoaster

Am I the only one who doesn't care for this senile old man homer?

He's as bad a Bob Cole for ****s sake lol
But at least Bob Cole knows hockey unlike Tommy Boy.

The perpetual teenager and cheerleader for the Canucks was colour commentator Tommy -Boy Larscheid who was finally fortunately retired after a number of seasons of senility for the 2010-11 season at the age of 70. He was forced out about 20 years too late IMHO. It has been rumoured that Mike Gillis had a hand in his removal and if that is true it was one of the best things Gillis had done for the Vancouver Canucks.

Larscheid had zero technical knowledge of hockey having been a college football player in the US back in the late 1950's and early 1960's before playing a couple of seasons in the CFL with BC Lions. I think he took too many shots to the head during the leather helmet era.

He did colour commentating with the BC Lions (where at least he knew something about the game) and my favourite memory was the time he and play by play guy JP MCConnell (think Pillsbury Doughboy) got into a tussle that spilled out of the broadcast booth and into the stands at old Empire Stadium.

Truly embarrassing with his constant giggling and chortling and his unabashed cheerleading. Since Larscheid was clueless when it came to anything to do with X' s and O's, replacing him with someone who can actually provide insight into what is going on from the bench and on the ice would be a massive improvement. I miss Howie Meeker - he was as much a fan boy as Larscheid with as many cute sayings but he knew hockey.

groovygoodwine

May 8, 2013
But at least Bob Cole knows hockey unlike Tommy Boy.

The perpetual teenager and cheerleader for the Canucks was colour commentator Tommy -Boy Larscheid who was finally fortunately retired after a number of seasons of senility for the 2010-11 season at the age of 70. He was forced out about 20 years too late IMHO. It has been rumoured that Mike Gillis had a hand in his removal and if that is true it was one of the best things Gillis had done for the Vancouver Canucks.

Have to agree that if Gillis was involved, it was the single best thing he contributed to our organization.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Why do people keep bring up this non-sense that Gillis was responsible for the firing of Tommy Larscheid? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever and there is no factual basis or quote to substantiate it. Gillis rarely fired or traded anyone and never bullied anyone in the media. Why would he be concerned about the goings on with a third party Canucks broadcast?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/who-shot-tom-larscheid/article1376100/

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Linden brought Larscheid back and Gillis canned him?

As something that's firmly not under the umbrella of hockey operations, isn't there a media relations or PR director we can properly attribute this to?

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
Agreed. This is going to be an embarrassing era. Tervor Linden doesn't even have a plan. He should be spending his time on that, not little gimmicks. Get over yourself Linden. It's creepy this obsession with him in this city. "OMG Trevor is such a great guy, look he's bringing in the guy who should be retired to call a few games. How cute" Gawd.

Bring back Gillis.

This must be sarcasm. Geez what a brutal post.

John Bender*

Linden is fixing things, what Gillis did with Tommy was BS and Linden is trying to right that. These are reason why Linden is so well liked.

Yup.

The only thing that's embarrassing here is the negativity towards Linden at this stage. Too many children and teens on these boards.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yup.

The only thing that's embarrassing here is the negativity towards Linden at this stage. Too many children and teens on these boards.
How inflammatory. It's more childish how you're unable to tolerate dissident perspectives.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yup.

Well, many of the Linden detractors are fairly older as well...what I find dumb is that the moment Linden was sworn in everyone was so quick to knock him down a peg, calling him a liar, expecting failure to a degree, wondering if his legacy as a player might be tarnished. The way I feel about that line of thinking, if I fully expressed it I'd be off the boards forever in an hour.

Only in such a beautiful city could we manufacture so many problems. Have we made moves I disagree with? Yes. I'll wait and see how the team does in the future years to gauge his and Benning's job.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver

Oh, come on. That was Gillis' best moment. Moj is an idiot, and I guarantee MG was candid about his eating habits in the Press Box.

Honestly, could see Moj al la George Costanza at the Tennis Match attacking the ice cream sundae.

But it nice to Tommy back, I never have been his biggest fan, but I enjoy his enthusiasm for the Canucks, only my mother shows their passion for the Canucks as loudly as Tommy. That being said I always have to knock him for not even being able to probably even skate, guy is a football player, CFL was always his game.

John Bender*

How inflammatory. It's more childish how you're unable to tolerate dissident perspectives.

Dissident perspectives? I can tolerate reasoned argument just fine, but many of the posters here have already decided that Benning is an idiot, Linden is useless, the team is destined to be a bottom feeder, etc. The team these guys have put together has yet to play one single damned game of any sort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad