Proposal: Limit thread replies to reduce spam

Add time limit on thread replies (per user)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
The forum is becoming difficult to read with the 50+ page GDTs.

We should introduce a time limit that prevents users from multi-replying to the same thread in a short period of time.

For example, once you post a reply on the GDT, you have to wait 5-10 minutes before you can post again. You are welcome to like/react to messages in the mean time.

This will incentivize higher quality posts, and encourage more interaction between users as they wait for their timeout to expire.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Agreed.

It's not just spam. Seeing 42 messages in a row in the GDT of "yes!" or "f--k!" after each goal makes it unreadable. If you knew that you can't post for 5 minutes after each post, you'd post something more quality. We all know you're happy the Rangers scored, but a single word or name celebrating the goal is not helpful.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
At one point we also had two separate PGTs: one for X’s and O’s and one that was essentially a virtual rage room.

Bottom line is that everyone uses this place for a different purpose and we will never agree on anything. Except that EdJo has awful taste in pizza and hockey players.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The GDT is the place for people to express themselves in the heat of the moment while watching their favorite team, to want to limit people's ability to do that just seems Pejorative Slured. Part of why the GDT is great is because you only get that instant off the cuff reaction in there during games. If you don't want to read what you consider spam just scroll past it man it aint that difficult.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The GDT is the place for people to express themselves in the heat of the moment while watching their favorite team, to want to limit people's ability to do that just seems Pejorative Slured. Part of why the GDT is great is because you only get that instant off the cuff reaction in there during games. If you don't want to read what you consider spam just scroll past it man it aint that difficult.

Agree with this. The whole point of a live GDT is to comment in the moment. If Lindgren gets high sticked and it gets missed by the ref and I want to post “wth, no call there? Lindy got his teeth knocked out!” and while I’m typing that Kane makes a nice dangle to gain the zone and set up Trochek at the far post for a great chance and I want to post “Troooo so close, damn. Nice pass though” it’s beyond absurd to propose I should have to wait 5-10 minutes because I had just posted about Lindgren.

Plus I want to spam the GDT with gifs and shit posts, as is tradition.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Not sure why you consider posts in the GDT that are commenting on what is going on during the game as spam.

Even if it's 50 straight "YES!" posts after we score or something, I'm not sure how it's spam. The GDT is basically supposed to be like fans watching the game and having a chatroom to discuss in real time. That's what those posts are for so there should be a million posts in there with off the dome reactions.

I actually like it and think we're lucky to have an engaged group of posters here that make the GDT fun to follow when you're in the mood for it and we also have good discussions in the PGTs as well. Some other boards on HF are like ghost towns in their GDT/PGTs.

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Not sure why you consider posts in the GDT that are commenting on what is going on during the game as spam.

Even if it's 50 straight "YES!" posts after we score or something, I'm not sure who it's spam. The GDT is basically supposed to be like fans watching the game and having a chatroom to discuss in real time. That's what those posts are for so there should be a million posts in there with off the dome reactions.

I actually like it and think we're lucky to have an engaged group of posters here that make the GDT fun to follow when you're in the mood for it and we also have good discussions in the PGTs as well. Some other boards on HF are like ghost towns in their GDT/PGTs.
Yea we’re lucky, there are so many times where something happens in a game and I want to see the other teams fans reactions and I go to their board and nobody says anything lol

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Let's not beat around the bush; if you're looking for nuanced discussion the GDT is not that place for it. However I'm sure there would be place that offer more measured, in game reviews.
Rather than try to change the GDT threads on here, which do have their own style and flow, it might be worth looking for a different style of commentary to follow alongside the game.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is how I see it, can’t restrict members from posting more in a thread. I enjoy posting play by play moments in the GDT, and when someone scores a goal will post a funny meme hoping to get a few laughs. Stuff like that makes it more fun for me here.

I understand some folks don’t like what some others have to say, or they feel they are spamming or trolling the thread. Sometimes they think a member is overkill with their views. I would just put them on ignore. You will find less posts to read then.

Reactions: nyr2k2

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
The forum is becoming difficult to read with the 50+ page GDTs.

We should introduce a time limit that prevents users from multi-replying to the same thread in a short period of time.

For example, once you post a reply on the GDT, you have to wait 5-10 minutes before you can post again. You are welcome to like/react to messages in the mean time.

This will incentivize higher quality posts, and encourage more interaction between users as they wait for their timeout to expire.
why are you even on a message board? that's pretty much how they work. HF has even made a stealth improvement to one of your complaints. If a poster does multipler responses in a short period of time, it will combine them into one post.

Those "higher quality posts" you mention. I don't know what that means to you but if it's big multi-paragraphed posts, that is a big NOPE NOPE NOPE from me. I don't have time to read your novel. I may read it if it's a "trusted poster"

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't participate in GDTs much anymore, but when I did, I liked being able to post quickly. I want to be able to respond to someone's point and then 30 seconds later exclaim "f***ing goal Mika!" or whatever. It's a big part of the fun of the thread.

If you're looking for high-quality discourse, to be completely honest, the GDT is not it. The GDT is almost always going to a be a shit show and it always slants towards a pessimistic view on how things are going because people are emotional. GDTs are really just like Twitter feeds.

The points you make, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think a majority of people would agree with that approach.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
why are you even on a message board? that's pretty much how they work. HF has even made a stealth improvement to one of your complaints. If a poster does multipler responses in a short period of time, it will combine them into one post.

Those "higher quality posts" you mention. I don't know what that means to you but if it's big multi-paragraphed posts, that is a big NOPE NOPE NOPE from me. I don't have time to read your novel. I may read it if it's a "trusted poster"
tldr

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't participate in GDTs much anymore, but when I did, I liked being able to post quickly. I want ot be able to respond to someone's point and then 30 seconds later exclaim "f***ing goal Mika!" or whatever. It's a big part of the fun of the thread.

If you're looking for high-quality discourse, to be completely honest, the GDT is not it. The GDT is almost always going to a be a shit show and it always slants towards a pessimistic view on how things are going because people are emotional. GDTs are really just like Twitter feeds.

The points you make, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think a majority of people would agree with that approach.

Another thing to add . The GDT and PGT threads are temporary threads. They will be locked once the games are over, or the next GDT is up.

They are meant to have that heavy traffic of short quick posts discussing the game which is live.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Better yet; I propose we have a manual mod review process where they need to approve each post before it’s made public, to ensure we allow nothing but the utmost quality of posts.
If they did that,95% of your posts would never see the light of day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad