Borgman Liljegren
Holl Ozhiganov
Carrick

Reactions: goleafsgo88

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Every player has a different route.

Liljegren will take the Liljegren route. He’ll get there when he gets there.

yes I know that, someone posted give him the dermott treatment. My post was more about how dermott was actually pretty quick to the NHL when you really think about it. Liljegren has more pro experience which may help him and may not.

I would almost say liljegren is a sure thing to play in the NHL in some capacity, that skating makes it even if he as average skills which he doesn't he has great skills. Very exciting to get a player like that at #17.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The thing I am most excited for is that Liljegren is a prospect with high end talent going through an organization that has just done a superb job of developing high talented players into good 2-way players (Dermott, Kapanen, Johnsson, Rielly, Kadri, etc.).

Our AHL organization knows the mantra is to develop players so that they can play all situations and play 200ft hockey while Babcock has done a good job improving our players defensively; even if it means giving them limited offensive opportunities for the first while (see Rielly & Kadri). I have lots of faith our management can get him to play at least a decent defensive game and with his skillset he should have no problem hitting 40+pts in the NHL.

Edit: At this point you can't say he should be better than Rielly. After his draft year Rielly was seen as a better prospect, drafted higher, and progressed better than expected. He was a legit #1 defenseman (50+ pts while seeing top competition is easily a top 25 defenseman) last year and is still very young.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I think we're likely a year away from even assessing Liljegren.

Being an 18 year old in the AHL I think is even tougher, or at least equally as tough, as being an 18-year-old in the NHL. For the most part, you've been playing overseas on a different ice and a different system. An 18-year-old in the AHL is not as shielded. The play is less-structured and your teammates less-skilled.

I think you have to watch with blinders on for young Europeans in their first year coming over to the AHL.

This coming year we will really get a good sense of his potential. I'm guessing he spends all of 18/19 in the AHL, some call-ups in 19/20 and full-time in 20/21.

Reactions: taurine330 and 95

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think we're likely a year away from even assessing Liljegren.

Being an 18 year old in the AHL I think is even tougher, or at least equally as tough, as being an 18-year-old in the NHL. For the most part, you've been playing overseas on a different ice and a different system. An 18-year-old in the AHL is not as shielded. The play is less-structured and your teammates less-skilled.

I think you have to watch with blinders on for young Europeans in their first year coming over to the AHL.

This coming year we will really get a good sense of his potential. I'm guessing he spends all of 18/19 in the AHL, some call-ups in 19/20 and full-time in 20/21.
I think this is pretty much bang on

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah mayne Liljegren finna blow up big time next season. He finna do dat dang real hard. What a skater and offensive mind set. We needs that there. And some busy body too.

Reactions: al secord

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Probably not. 3rd best most likely. After rielly and dermott. His ceiling is high, but below riellys. His chances of reaching his ceiling are lower then dermott reaching his ceiling. I think lilijgren ends up a good 45 point dmen who is a slightly better version of gardiner(whos a solid number 2)

I don't think his ceiling is below Rielly or Dermott - but I do agree that Rielly & Dermott have a much better chance of reaching their ceiling (given that they're both much closer - especially Rielly).

I'd also assume that Liljegren ends up much better than Gardiner in the defensive end (it takes a special person to be at Gardiner's skill level for years - without ever figuring out how to manage risk or play defense).

Last edited:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
yes I know that, someone posted give him the dermott treatment. My post was more about how dermott was actually pretty quick to the NHL when you really think about it. Liljegren has more pro experience which may help him and may not.

I would almost say liljegren is a sure thing to play in the NHL in some capacity, that skating makes it even if he as average skills which he doesn't he has great skills. Very exciting to get a player like that at #17.
Yeah I understand where you were going. I was basically saying it’s useless to compare development from player to player as if it is a linear process. It’s not, and I was basically agreeing with you.

Reactions: Walshy7

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
havent watched too many marlies, how is lilly's defensive game and strength looking

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I like him but don't think his offensive upside is as high as most Leaf fans do. If he ends up as a Stralman type player in the long run that is very successful for me.

Then you're not watching the same player we are. Good shot, great vision, good stick handling, great puck mover and great edge work = lots of points at any level. He's adjusting to the smaller surface as an 18-19 year old. Watch what happens when he gets the reigns to play more offensive.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
It is way way too early for anyone to know what he will be in 3 to 4 years. To try to compare him to Rielly or dermott is even more offside. He will spend next 2 seasons playing for Marlies and adjusting to life and hockey in AHL. Then given his 1st round pick status he will get his chance to make the Leafs. Probably up and down for a year or two after that given Babcock history with younger players.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
havent watched too many marlies, how is lilly's defensive game and strength looking

I haven't watched much either but from the VERY small sample I have seen it appears he has really settled in defensively compared to where he was at BUT it appears as if this has also shielded him offensively for now.

Which is fine, we know he should be a great offensive player. Lets have him develop defensively now too.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
I have been to 10 Marlie season home games and all the playoff games. By the way it is terrible Toronto is not supporting Marlies in playoffs very disappointing turnouts. What I see is he gets played like a 5 or 6 dman by coach. He gets on PP though. He is being nutured and sheltered hard. He needs a season where he plays in the top 4. When Dermott and Holl are up with Leafs then he should get that chance next season to start to see where he is.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He is just turning 19 as many are stating. He is playing on NA ice in a smaller rink than he has played his whole life and he is away from his family for the first time. Not to mention that most players he is playing against are in their early 20’s for the most part. He will be good to great he just needs time and opportunities. Don’t rush this kid, let him play a top 4 role with the Marlies all year next year and have this guy ready to roll in 2019/20.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Then you're not watching the same player we are. Good shot, great vision, good stick handling, great puck mover and great edge work = lots of points at any level. He's adjusting to the smaller surface as an 18-19 year old. Watch what happens when he gets the reigns to play more offensive.

Which of those is Stralman missing?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Which of those is Stralman missing?
Honestly it's just play style, I can kind of get why you'd see Stralman in a Liljegren that's focused on defense but I think they'll take off the restraints next year and have him be an OFD for us

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
The leafs had a strong message for Timothy when he was drafted. To work on taking less risks with and without the puck and taking smart rushes and pinches. Timothy still makes mistakes but you can clearly see he took that message very seriously and is doing his absolute best to work on his game to be more risk free. That is a good sign for the leafs...Also as he gets more confident in being a solid defensive player he will begin to gain more confidence offensively. Hard to say what his offensive potential is, but develop him as a powerplay guy at the AHL level and hope he can run a dangerous unit in the future.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Liljegren had been selected top 5 would we expect him in the NHL 2018-2019 season?

I'm curious, if he has done enough to get a look this year?

Overager Aho was the only defender to play in the NHL that was drafted last year, but 6 defenders from the previous draft did get some playing time.

I'd like to see him get some playing time, but I'm fine if he doesn't break in until he's Kaberle's rookie age. Makes we think Kaberle was underrated, he was so smooth.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If Liljegren had been selected top 5 would we expect him in the NHL 2018-2019 season?

Overager Aho was the only defender to play in the NHL that was drafted last year, but 6 defenders from the previous draft did get some playing time.

I'd like to see him get some playing time, but I'm fine if he doesn't break in until he's Kaberle's rookie age. Makes we think Kaberle was underrated, he was so smooth.
I think with the Leafs philosophy they're going to let him cook a bit longer than usual for prospects.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I’d say conservatively he starts with the Marlies but may threaten for a Leafs roster spot during the second half of the season depending on what other moves Dubas makes

Treasure Island

Mar 24, 2014
Kingston
This will be a huge summer for him to recoup his energy after a very long first season. At 19 and a frame like his we should see a much bigger stronger player come September.
I think he will be a player to be reckoned with at training camp. Maybe up with the big club come Christmas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad