Prospect Info: Liljegren will be the best Toronto d-man

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
That the offensive poise of our teenage draft pick doesn’t need validation. Its complete **** that people think his production in his rookie year somehow casts judgement on his future. His ahl production is irrelevant, once he develops his decision making to an nhl level, he will be playing in the nhl. It has nothing to do with racking up assists in the ahl, if you don’t see that, then you just don’t get it

So you're saying production at lower levels doesn't matter? Would you be singing the same tune if he managed a measly 3 or 4 points?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
In 44 regular season games and 19 playoff games Lilegren has scored 1 goal this season.

Since draft time there was some question marks as to how his goal scoring would progress and what level it would end at when he hits the show.

Craig Button claims he sees a Trevor Daley level player in TL.
Though button is not the best for assessing leafs prospects, Trevor Daley would not be a bad outcome.
That said the question of lily was always his defensive game. There might have been small questions about his offense but that was never the main worry

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Though button is not the best for assessing leafs prospects, Trevor Daley would not be a bad outcome.
That said the question of lily was always his defensive game. There might have been small questions about his offense but that was never the main worry
Trevor Daley 971 NHL games played, 2 Stanley Cups. Why not.

Reactions: saltming

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
So you're saying production at lower levels doesn't matter? Would you be singing the same tune if he managed a measly 3 or 4 points?
Incorrect. The message is that production from a 18 year old ahl rookie d-man has no predictive power of what hes going to do at the NHL level, and people should be focused on his decision making and defending. The talent is already validated, the production doesn't matter for him at this time.

Reactions: ULF_55

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
Incorrect. The message is that production from a 18 year old ahl rookie d-man has no predictive power of what hes going to do at the NHL level, and people should be focused on his decision making and defending. The talent is already validated, the production doesn't matter for him at this time.

Production is always a good indicator where a prospect is at in his development. Always has been, always will be.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Lilly has looked good this playoff, for the most part. I find that he defers to pass quite often, and I'd like to see him shoot more. I've been happy with his defensive play, as well. Usually pretty heads-up, and uses his stick well.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
Lmao, oh man. You just don’t understand prospects development. Next.

Better/core players dominate lower levels production wise, sure there are outliers here and there but isn't the norm. Pretty easy to understand.

I expect a big jump in production next year as he has the talent to be a great Dman at the NHL level. If he stagnates or drops off a cliff it will be a concern.

Of course there are other parts of his game that need developing, but who cares if he becomes a stay at home dman.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Better/core players dominate lower levels production wise, sure there are outliers here and there but isn't the norm. Pretty easy to understand.

I expect a big jump in production next year as he has the talent to be a great Dman at the NHL level. If he stagnates or drops off a cliff it will be a concern.

Of course there are other parts of his game that need developing, but who cares if he becomes a stay at home dman.
For me I see an 18 year old (ya he turned 19) rookie defenseman in a sheltered role that put up 17 points in 44 regular season games while adjusting not only to a new team, system and surroundings but to smaller ice. I'm quite comfortable in saying his production under those circumstances is admirable

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
In this instance I agree. Sure points are important, but nobody doubts his ability to produce, even if he had only few this year I could really care less. It's the defensive side of the game, decision making, that we needed to see "production". The good news, he has grown in both those regards, which is exciting to project out if it continues.

Reactions: Mikeyg

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't know what some are talking about but the kids is 18 and playing his first full season after a long layoff with mono last year. For an 18 year to be part of an AHL team that is in the finals, and playing a regular shift!!! That should tell you something about his abilities. Points are not a telling stat of an 18 year old that hasn't played in awhile, and is playing with bigger and older players to boot. Its him being able to keep up, and he is.

Good sign for the Leafs, I would compare him to McAvoy in Boston more then Daly. He is definitely showing good results this far in his growth.

Reactions: Mikeyg and meefer

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
For me I see an 18 year old (ya he turned 19) rookie defenseman in a sheltered role that put up 17 points in 44 regular season games while adjusting not only to a new team, system and surroundings but to smaller ice. I'm quite comfortable in saying his production under those circumstances is admirable

Absolutely. It's the notion that production is not an indicator of development. In this case, it's a big plus and a glimpse of where he's at.

I guarentee if Timmy managed but a couple points this year, there would be outrage that he wasn't ready to come over and was bad for his development. The concerns would be warranted if there wasn't tangible evidence of progression.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Absolutely. It's the notion that production is not an indicator of development. In this case, it's a big plus and a glimpse of where he's at.

I guarentee if Timmy managed but a couple points this year, there would be outrage that he wasn't ready to come over and was bad for his development. The concerns would be warranted if there wasn't tangible evidence of progression.
Agreed!
I am very impressed with lily this season. I was expecting a bit more of a project but he looks legit

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

Honestly, with any bit of luck, Lilly could've easily picks up 7-10 more points this season too. He set guys up for so many great chances that got flubbed. Next season I would be shocked if he doesn't put up 40-50 points down in the AHL barring injuries or callup.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Honestly, with any bit of luck, Lilly could've easily picks up 7-10 more points this season too. He set guys up for so many great chances that got flubbed. Next season I would be shocked if he doesn't put up 40-50 points down in the AHL barring injuries or callup.

and, after a settling in period he will probably find it easier to get points in the NHL. No offence to miro aaltonen and colin greening but there is a difference to putting it on a T for them or Matthews, Nylander or Marner for example. He has really high hockey IQ and its possible he thinks the game a lot differently than most AHL regulars. Of course genuine NHL talent is down there (johnsson and dermott) but there are a lot of career AHLer's too.

All this of course with adjustment to NHL players and speed not saying he could do it right now

Reactions: nobody

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->