Likelihood Sens sign both Duchene and Stone

Will the Sens be able to retain Stone and Duchene?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
8 x 8 is too much for this player. Either the term or dollars need to come down.

8M x 6 or 7M x 8.
Ya, you're gonna be disappointed. It'll take 8x8 at minimum for both Stone and Duchene imo.

We may even have to overpay on annual salary on top of that since Scrooge can't afford bonus money and they both have us over a barrel.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
8 x 8 is too much for this player. Either the term or dollars need to come down.

8M x 6 or 7M x 8.

It's the market for a player like this. Maybe we can luck out and shave the term down to only 7 years.

There can be arguments made that re-signing him to a big contract isn't the best move, but unless he for some reason wants to take a home town discount, we're not getting him for much less than 8*8.

I'm on mobile, so later on I can point out some comparable contracts. The two big ones are Couture and Johansen.

Coors19

Jul 18, 2011
I think they both sign. Future looks bright with these kids and they have the opportunity to be the leaders and the go to guys here. They both have said they love it here, its close to home and the on ice product in trending in the right direction. All you here from the guys in interviews is how fun and close the room is. So i think its a good sign that they are respected guys in the room. As long as management pays them what they are worth then I see them here long term.

Reactions: pzeeman

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ceci for sure but keep Pageau for now!
Ideally. Just some other options since Smith will probably still be untradeable.

Pageau is gonna be up for a new deal after next year and we have the depth to replace him more than most positions, so it could be a good time to move on soon.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Pageau is going to be traded. No way we pay him 4M+ over multiple seasons on an extension. If he was not hurt this season, I think he would have been dealt in the 2019 off season at the latest, but now that he'll miss so much time, maybe we have to keep him until the 2020 TDL to properly showcase him and rehab his value.

Including this season, Tierney has 3 years of team control. I could see him being in the same boat as Pageau, just one year later.

The only way we keep either is of they cement themselves as legit top 6 players. I think we'd rather pay a true 2C 5M+ than pay a top level 3C/middle 6 type Bonino/Hanzal money. Pageau is a warrior, so we'll get a good return for him at the 2020 trade deadline so long as his injury hasn't ruined him.

If Duchene leaves, it increases the odds of us keeping either or both of Pageau or Tierney.

If we actually intend to sign Duchene, I think we're looking at Duchene as the 1C, White in the former Pageau role as the heavy lifting 3C, and Tierney in the 2C role (even if he's not a 2C) until a prospect like Brown or Chlapik breaks out (not a given).

Reactions: Gesus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like Simpson's comment this afternoon. Dorion could have talked to Brisson at anytime over the summer and it should not be that complicated.
Does Duchene want to stay.
Are the Sens prepared to pay 1C or top 6 money for him to stay.
If the answer to both is yes, then its a matter of agreeing to a figure, the salary/bonus structure and the NTC/NMC ..
It should not need to take very long.

If Ottawa wants some form of short term deal , or one that limits the $ or the structure to that of a lesser player .. they are answering NO to their question.

Reactions: JungleBeat

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I like Simpson's comment this afternoon. Dorion could have talked to Brisson at anytime over the summer and it should not be that complicated.
Does Duchene want to stay.
Are the Sens prepared to pay 1C or top 6 money for him to stay.
If the answer to both is yes, then its a matter of agreeing to a figure, the salary/bonus structure and the NTC/NMC ..
It should not need to take very long.

If Ottawa wants some form of short term deal , or one that limits the $ or the structure to that of a lesser player .. they are answering NO to their question.

There's some big contradictions by management.

We had to trade Karlsson in September because we could not risk him getting hurt, and us losing him for nothing, yet we have a pending UFA in Duchene unsigned and playing.

Unless they've actually been talking for quite some time now, and there's enough traction in negotiations to expect a deal soon, it's a huge contradiction.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

We had to trade Karlsson in September because we could not risk him getting hurt, and us losing him for nothing, yet we have a pending UFA in Duchene unsigned and playing.

Unless they've actually been talking for quite some time now, and there's enough traction in negotiations to expect a deal soon, it's a huge contradiction.

Yup ... same for all the pending UFAs.. with a slight exception in the Stone case re the date he can sign.
I don't take anything they say at face value.. they do an awful lot of posturing

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think we keep one of Pageau/Tierney. Signing both long-term with Chlapik, Brown, White and Norris coming through the pipeline is unnecessary, but on the other hand it doesn't make sense to not have a single "veteran" center on the roster.

Based on his history of being an absolute warrior in the playoffs, I'd keep Pageau. That's assuming he wants to stay of course. Could easily want to jump ship at the end of next year.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think we keep one of Pageau/Tierney. Signing both long-term with Chlapik, Brown, White and Norris coming through the pipeline is unnecessary, but on the other hand it doesn't make sense to not have a single "veteran" center on the roster.

Based on his history of being an absolute warrior in the playoffs, I'd keep Pageau. That's assuming he wants to stay of course. Could easily want to jump ship at the end of next year.
If Duchene leaves, we may just end up hanging on to both of them. Of course that will depend on what our prospects look like by then.

When it comes time to re-negotiate Tierney will be an RFA while Pageau will be UFA, so that could be a factor in their direction as well.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Sad to see how many people voted that both go :(

Not saying your completely wrong, just sad to think we are ready and expecting to loose 2 very valuable players on the team.

I suppose that’s what happens then our franchise defenceman gets shipped out the door though

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

it appears like one yes.

it's quite possible though, if not probable, that Stone and Duchene have indicated a willingness to re-sign and the team is interested whereas with Karlsson that wasn't the case. That changes the risk

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sad to see how many people voted that both go :(

Not saying your completely wrong, just sad to think we are ready and expecting to loose 2 very valuable players on the team.

I suppose that’s what happens then our franchise defenceman gets shipped out the door though
It just feels hard to imagine us being able to offer the two largest contracts in Senators history simultaneously after we just made slashing payroll a priority for the last 6 months and we have low attendance from fan revolt.

It's not impossible, but the skepticism is warranted and nobody is going to give the organization the benefit of the doubt. I will believe it when the contracts are signed and thats it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Melnyk's comments in the interview with Boro should have erased pretty much all hope of keeping Duchene and Stone. Pretty clear that there is a plan in place that doesn't involve the team keeping them.

Dude flat out said that the team isn't 1, 2 or 3 guys (guess which 3 he was referring to), and went on to say that we will have 15 or 16 rookies or young players next season, along with a ton of picks (from trading those 3 players). Not to mention that he said we're going into a rebuild.

Dorion chatting with Duchene's agent is just covering his ass and that of his boss. Same as when they offered EK a token contract so they could say they gave re-signing him their best shot.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Melnyk's comments in the interview with Boro should have erased pretty much all hope of keeping Duchene and Stone. Pretty clear that there is a plan in place that doesn't involve the team keeping them.

Dude flat out said that the team isn't 1, 2 or 3 guys (guess which 3 he was referring to), and went on to say that we will have 15 or 16 rookies or young players next season, along with a ton of picks (from trading those 3 players). Not to mention that he said we're going into a rebuild.

Dorion chatting with Duchene's agent is just covering his ass and that of his boss. Same as when they offered EK a token contract so they could say they gave re-signing him their best shot.
I don't see Duchene staying. He has been through this before and the last thing you need is to sign long term with a questionable owner.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

K so whats the play here lmao. hes a GM.... dealing with an agent..... this is a normal thing. its not some front, it literally happens several times a week. I loathe dorion, but hes just doing his job here lmao.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I know the consensus is that Colorado made out like bandits in the Duchene trade while Ottawa got taken to the cleaners in the Karlsson trade...but looking at things as they currently stand, I'm not sure that's the case.

Right now:

Girard > DeMelo (though DeMelo is outscoring Girard this year)
Tierney > Kamenev
Norris > Bowers (debatable)
Balcers > Hammond
San Jose's 2019 1st round pick > Ottawa's 2019 1st round pick
San Jose's 2019 2nd round pick = Nashville's 2018 2nd round pick (too early to tell)

Colorado also received Ottawa's 3rd round pick in 2019
Ottawa could receive up to 2 additional first round picks

Reactions: pzeeman

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I know the consensus is that Colorado made out like bandits in the Duchene trade while Ottawa got taken to the cleaners in the Karlsson trade...but looking at things as they currently stand, I'm not sure that's the case.

Right now:

Tierney > Kamenev
Balcers > Hammond
San Jose's 2019 2nd round pick = Nashville's 2018 2nd round pick (too early to tell)

you have to judge trades relative to who was being traded.....

also how is sanjoses first a better piece than our first?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Right now:

Tierney > Kamenev
Balcers > Hammond

you have to judge trades relative to who was being traded.....

also how is sanjoses first a better piece than our first?

Even looking at the trades that way.... Sens lose on Girard and on their first pick, to win on Tierney, Balcers and Norris?

And thats forgetting getting Duchene, losing Turris and Karlsson (the 3 most important pieces of the deal... maybe Ottawa 1st would turn out as important lol)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Hope I'm wrong but I to lean towards what was mentioned above, I can't see this team dolling out 1 let alone 2 big contracts shortly after doing everything they can to squeeze every penny from their spending.

That said most actions this team has taken over the last 2-3 seasons does not even comes close to making any logical sense and typically decisions have been proven to be the wrong one over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad