Likelihood Sens sign both Duchene and Stone

Will the Sens be able to retain Stone and Duchene?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You don't always need to name a captain for your team right away
You also don't wait years to see what a rookie turns into. Nobody knew Stone was going to be in 2014, especially when you have a guy like Karlsson who was a Norris winner and viewed as the present, and future of the franchise. Karlsson wasn't even a question to be captain, it was the very obvious move.

Why would the franchise wait on Stone, without hindsight showing us what he was to become, when Karlsson was here and a franchise player already?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So now that the narrative seems to be shifting, i guess we'll start to hear more and more trade justification and character assassination. Maybe some more comments about how the dressing room is broken rather than Dorion reflecting on the fact that he just sucks at his job and has no financial backing.

This team is really gonna have to trade all three of these guys and just tank the shit out of this thing. Its an embarrassment to the league to see a team have to be operated like this.

Bobby Ryan may end up being the last big contract Melnyk ever hands out. They can have my fan card for life if they're really going to gut this thing even further and continue to blame fans rather than reflecting on their own incompetence that led to all of this.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So now that the narrative seems to be shifting, i guess we'll start to hear more and more trade justification and character assassination. Maybe some more comments about how the dressing room is broken rather than Dorion reflecting on the fact that he just sucks at his job and has no financial backing.

This team is really gonna have to trade all three of these guys and just tank the **** out of this thing. Its an embarrassment to the league to see a team have to be operated like this.

Bobby Ryan may end up being the last big contract Melnyk ever hands out. They can have my fan card for life if they're really going to gut this thing even further and continue to blame fans rather than reflecting on their own incompetence that led to all of this.
Nobody from the organziation is going to be attacking the character of any of the three UFAs. I don’t know about anyone else but I’m tired of reading these same comments over and over again. No offence, you’re entitled to your opinion, just tiresome hearing the same stuff over and over again.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
You also don't wait years to see what a rookie turns into. Nobody knew Stone was going to be in 2014, especially when you have a guy like Karlsson who was a Norris winner and viewed as the present, and future of the franchise. Karlsson wasn't even a question to be captain, it was the very obvious move.

Why would the franchise wait on Stone, without hindsight showing us what he was to become, when Karlsson was here and a franchise player already?
Like I said, it was understandable at the time when they anointed Karlsson the captain but I'd prefer if Stone was captain of the team.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Stone wasn’t realistic but Phillips should have been given captaincy. I believe a lot of players wanted that too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Stone wasn’t realistic but Phillips should have been given captaincy. I believe a lot of players wanted that too.
If Phillips were not in the twilight of his career he was the obvious choice for sure. Not sure the team wanted to have 1 year with Phillips then have to go through the process again as soon as he retired

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Nobody from the organziation is going to be attacking the character of any of the three UFAs. I don’t know about anyone else but I’m tired of reading these same comments over and over again. No offence, you’re entitled to your opinion, just tiresome hearing the same stuff over and over again.
They did that just this summer with Karlsson and Hoffman, so i dont have a lot of faith, but maybe you're right and they'll treat these ones with class as they trade them all away.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
They did that just this summer with Karlsson and Hoffman, so i dont have a lot of faith, but maybe you're right and they'll treat these ones with class as they trade them all away.
I don’t see it that way, but whatever. I don’t think they’ll be traded either, outside of Dzingel who i don’t consider a key piece and I would trade for defense regardless of his contract.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Captain doesn’t equal best player. He could have been a stop gap until the next one was named. But karlsson wasn’t a terrible choice. Just maybe a bit too early.

EK was the only and natural choice. It just sucks that Eugene toyed with Alfie and his final contract so bad he left for Detroit. That would have bought Erik one or two more years.

F'n Melnyk man. If the guy could just stay out of his own way we'd be a cup contender.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don’t see it that way, but whatever. I don’t think they’ll be traded either, outside of Dzingel who i don’t consider a key piece and I would trade for defense regardless of his contract.
I applaud your optimism that they'll be signed, i unfortunately just can't see it based on so many different factors and i think we're seeing the narrative start to get fans ready for another deadline purging.

I guess in their defense, i think it will not just be the organizations inability to offer the contracts it takes, but also that the players won't be willing to sign anyways.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Karlsson was a good captain and took us further than we've ever been in the playoffs other than 2007 (technically longer than the 03 run since we went to double OT ;) )

Captain doesn’t equal best player. He could have been a stop gap until the next one was named. But karlsson wasn’t a terrible choice. Just maybe a bit too early.
The captain doesn't have to be the best player but I truly believe they need to be one of the better ones. I know there was nothing more annoying playing hockey as a kid than when the worst player on the team tried to tell people what to do. At that point Phillips was costing us games, it just wouldn't have made sense.

Reactions: Mr Hat

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Neil should have been made captain, EK was not ready & he proved it, Spezza should not have been made captain either, he was in over his head. It should never go to the best player but the best leader, the guy who sets the best example for the entire team. Stone should be the next captain, IMO he sets the best example for the rest of the team to follow.

Reactions: Cosmix

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Karlsson was a good captain and took us further than we've ever been in the playoffs other than 2007 (technically longer than the 03 run since we went to double OT ;) )

The captain doesn't have to be the best player but I truly believe they need to be one of the better ones. I know there was nothing more annoying playing hockey as a kid than when the worst player on the team tried to tell people what to do. At that point Phillips was costing us games, it just wouldn't have made sense.

Prime Phillips would have made a fine captain but his last two seasons he was worse than Ceci. The rest of the team shouldn't be holding their breath every time the captains on the ice lol.

Reactions: Smeddy

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Prime Phillips would have made a fine captain but his last two seasons he was worse than Ceci. The rest of the team shouldn't be holding their breath every time the captains on the ice lol.
Agreed. I loved Phillips in his prime but he just wasn't good enough to be in the league after Spezza left.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Neil should have been made captain, EK was not ready & he proved it, Spezza should not have been made captain either, he was in over his head. It should never go to the best player but the best leader, the guy who sets the best example for the entire team. Stone should be the next captain, IMO he sets the best example for the rest of the team to follow.

EK was not ready and he proved it? I thought carrying the team on his back to the ECF as underdogs was pretty captain like. Erik wasn't the best captain in the league but he was a good choice.

The Neil's and Boros of the league should be happy to wear an 'A', they are liabilities on the ice. The only examples they set is how to take bad penalties and how to get beat by speed and talent.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
EK was not ready and he proved it? I thought carrying the team on his back to the ECF as underdogs was pretty captain like. Erik wasn't the best captain in the league but he was a good choice.

The Neil's and Boros of the league should be happy to wear an 'A', they are liabilities on the ice. The only examples they set is how to take bad penalties and how to get beat by speed and talent.
EK was a liability in defensive zone & proved it numerous times & as we found out later in the dressing room too. He didn't carry the team, Hoffman & Stone had a great playoff as well & Anderson carried the team.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
EK was a liability in defensive zone & proved it numerous times & as we found out later in the dressing room too. He didn't carry the team, Hoffman & Stone had a great playoff as well & Anderson carried the team.

So much delusion I don't know where to begin. The teams possession stats with him on vs off the ice was unbelievable. Andy, Stone and to a lesser extent Hoffman were all huge in that run but Karlsson was the biggest difference maker.

If your dense enough to believe Melnyk and Dorions locker rooms broken BS I guess I shouldn't be surprised you wanted to name various over the hill plugs as captain over the years.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So much delusion I don't know where to begin. The teams possession stats with him on vs off the ice was unbelievable. Andy, Stone and to a lesser extent Hoffman were all huge in that run but Karlsson was the biggest difference maker.

If your dense enough to believe Melnyk and Dorions locker rooms broken BS I guess I shouldn't be surprised you wanted to name various over the hill plugs as captain over the years.
Karlsson is the most overrated player ever on the Sens. Great offensive player who was deficient in his own zone, even when he cared.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
He should have been captain instead of Karlsson IMO.

I understand from a marketing POV that it was the right choice to go with 65 but Stone is the epitome of what a good captain is. IMO
Alternatively MacArthur (sp?) should have been captain instead of EK

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Give it to guys who can't skate, have no skill, and cannot be on the ice in important situations. Sure.

If that's the criteria, just give it to Boro. I hear McCormick tries real hard too. He can have an A.

If a player wouldn't be on the ice in the final minute of a playoff game 7, either defending a lead or trying to tie a game, he shouldn't be captain.

Reactions: Gil Gunderson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad