Ligue 1 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What a season this is preparing to be.
After the amazing finish we had last year with 4 teams gunning for title in the stretch, races for 5th, and to avoid relegations, french teams have made some major moves this summer.
I'll post my thoughts.

Right now, Monaco/Nantes in 5 minutes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So, my projection for top 8 :

1- PSG.
Can't go against the major favourites. They added Donnarumma, Ramos, Hakimi, Wijnaldum, got Kalimuendo back. They have lost Florenzi, Bakker and Kean as well as sold Areola for good.
And of course... we'll know if they add Messi.

2- Monaco
They got their strong team even stronger. If they fail to qualify for the CL this year, they might lose some players before september 1st. For now, they look very good for 2nd.
Added : Jean Lucas, Jakobs, Boadu and Nubel.
Lost : Onyekuru

3- Lyon
Tough to pick Lyon because they'll play offense only football, but that midfield and attack should be enough, provided they don't lose major players before the end of the mercato. Bosz is the big addition obviously. Caqueret, Bruno, Reine Adelaide, Aouar, Dembele, Cherki, Paqueta, Slimani, Toco, etc... Losing Depay is IMO not a problem because he was also bringing some major negative (selfish play, taking all the kicks, never defending)
Added : Dembele (back from Atletico loan), Reine Adelaide (back from Nice loan)
Lost : Depay, Jean Lucas, Bard, De Sciglio, sold Andersen for good.

4- OM
Could challenge for 3rd. Impressive makeover, with a coach that has the right mentality. Very interesting to see them evolve.
Sampaoli will have plenty of options and so far they haven't lost Kamara.
Added : Ben Seghir (great prospect from Nice), Luan Peres (impressive in friendlies), Guendouzi (also impressive), Saliba (amazing), Cengiz Under, Gerson, de la Fuente, Pau Lopez.
Lost : Lirola (was very good on loan), Thauvin, Cuisance, Ntcham.

5- Nice
Team is too young IMO to be ranked higher. Adding Galtier is huge. And their mercato has been really impressive.
Added : Kluivert, Bard, Stengs, Todibo, Lemina, Rosario, Bulka
Lost : Nsoki, Pelmard, Lees Melou, Rony Lopes, Reine Adelaide

6- Lille
Team didn't lose that much, except their main leader, their coach. Gourvennec is NOT a good coach, no idea why they went this way. The addition of CL games mid week will hurt them.
Added : Onana
Lost : Soumare

7- Rennes
They added some nice players and of course a lot depends on Camavinga upcoming transfer, which could fund more purchases (Koopmeiners? Cajuste?). So a little tough to project them.
Added : Meling, Sulemana
Lost : Dalbert, Da Silva, Nzonzi

8- Lens
Still high quality coached team. They lost Bade but replaced him very smartly.
Added : Wooh, Frankowski, Danso, Said
Lost : Bade, Kalimuendo, Michelin

Troyes is promoted but is playing great football.
Clermont, also promoted, is still playing some nice football and has never ever paid for a transfer in their history (except for a 150k player a few years back).
Metz has some very very nice young players.

I expect Nantes, Lorient, and maybe Brest, Reims and Strasbourg to fight for relegation.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So, my projection for top 8 :

1- PSG.
Can't go against the major favourites. They added Donnarumma, Ramos, Hakimi, Wijnaldum, got Kalimuendo back. They have lost Florenzi, Bakker and Kean as well as sold Areola for good.
And of course... we'll know if they add Messi.

2- Monaco
They got their strong team even stronger. If they fail to qualify for the CL this year, they might lose some players before september 1st. For now, they look very good for 2nd.
Added : Jean Lucas, Jakobs, Boadu and Nubel.
Lost : Onyekuru

3- Lyon
Tough to pick Lyon because they'll play offense only football, but that midfield and attack should be enough, provided they don't lose major players before the end of the mercato. Bosz is the big addition obviously. Caqueret, Bruno, Reine Adelaide, Aouar, Dembele, Cherki, Toco, etc... Losing Depay is IMO not a problem because he was also bringing some major negative (selfish play, taking all the kicks, never defending)
Added : Dembele (back from Atletico loan), Reine Adelaide (back from Nice loan)
Lost : Depay, Jean Lucas, Bard, De Sciglio, sold Andersen for good.

4- OM
Could challenge for 3rd. Impressive makeover, with a coach that has the right mentality. Very interesting to see them evolve.
Sampaoli will have plenty of options and so far they haven't lost Kamara.
Added : Ben Seghir (great prospect from Nice), Luan Peres (impressive in friendlies), Guendouzi (also impressive), Saliba (amazing), Cengiz Under, Gerson, de la Fuente, Pau Lopez.
Lost : Lirola (was very good on loan), Thauvin, Cuisance, Ntcham.

5- Nice
Team is too young IMO to be ranked higher. Adding Galtier is huge. And their mercato has been really impressive.
Added : Kluivert, Bard, Stengs, Todibo, Lemina, Rosario, Bulka
Lost : Nsoki, Pelmard, Lees Melou, Rony Lopes, Reine Adelaide

6- Lille
Team didn't lose that much, except their main leader, their coach. Gourvennec is NOT a good coach, no idea why they went this way. The addition of CL games mid week will hurt them.
Added : Onana
Lost : Soumare

7- Rennes
They added some nice players and of course a lot depends on Camavinga upcoming transfer, which could fund more purchases (Koopmeiners? Cajuste?). So a little tough to project them.
Added : Meling, Sulemana
Lost : Dalbert, Da Silva, Nzonzi

8- Lens
Still high quality coached team. They lost Bade but replaced him very smartly.
Added : Wooh, Frankowski, Danso, Said
Lost : Bade, Kalimuendo, Michelin

Troyes is promoted but is playing great football.
Clermont, also promoted, is still playing some nice football and has never ever paid for a transfer in their history (except for a 150k player a few years back).
Metz has some very very nice young players.

I expect Nantes, Lorient, and maybe Brest, Reims and Strasbourg to fight for relegation.

Whats your take on Bordeaux? Adli, Benito, Zerkane, Basic, Gideon, Otavio, Briand, Kos...They have some good players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He supposedly phoned Sampaoli to ask if there was an opening for him. Denied. :D
Since then, no news.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They need to play together and find a balance.
They need to stop relying on individual brilliance to score.
They need to be coached.

Otherwise it'll be like with Emery or Tuchel. Defend and pray for a goal out of nowhere from the big guns.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
How crazy is it that PSG is about to have a front 3 that easily contains 3 of the top 5 (and you could make the strong argument of 3 of the top 3) attackers in the world.
It is the top 3 players in the world tbh.

anyway I hope @Evilo takes care of him. I’ve made my peace with it. Just can’t wait to see him live again

Reactions: KlausJopling

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not sure I can do anything, but that front 3 is orgasmic.
I think it's fair to say Mbappe can reach Suarez' level or above (if he isn't there already), so it'll be MSN+.
MMN.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Icardi
Mbappe - Neymar - Messi
Wijnaldum - Veratti - Hakimi
Ramos - Kimpebme - Marquinhos
Donnarumma

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure I can do anything, but that front 3 is orgasmic.
I think it's fair to say Mbappe can reach Suarez' level or above (if he isn't there already), so it'll be MSN+.
MMN.
But it won’t be the best version of Messi. :)

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So, something like Mbappe 40 goals, Neymar, Messi and Icardi 20+ goals each. And then some from the rest of the squad?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Icardi
Mbappe - Neymar - Messi
Wijnaldum - Veratti - Hakimi
Ramos - Kimpebme - Marquinhos
Donnarumma
Icardi won't play.

Against weaker teams it'll be most likely :

-------Mbappe------
Neymar-Messi-ADM
---Verratti-Wij---
Bernat-Ramos-Marqui-Hakimi
-----Navas/Donna-----

Against better teams, it'll be :

----Mbappe----
Neymar--------Messi
Bernat-Verratti-Wij-Hakimi
--Kimpembe-Ramos-Marqui--
-----Navas/Donna-----

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I wouldn’t be surprised to see icardi get sold. I’d more surprised if he stays.
Yes, I think PSG will try to sell a few players to make room. Icardi, Kehrer, Kurzawa, maybe Draxler....
They still need a LB (only Bernat on the roster) and a midfielder (Cama?).
If they play 3 at the back, they'll need a CB.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Really hope Messi goes to PSG. That means a swedish-company will buy the rights to ligue 1 without any doubt. Im tired of watching ugly free streams. Í already have discovery+, cmore and viaplay, who are all showing the big leagues and some smaller ones too. Lets hope its one of those companies who buys the rights, im not made of money.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Di Maria offers too little for what he is getting paid, but I guess he is on good terms with Messi and no club is insane enough to acquire him, so PSG are probably stuck with him. They'd be better off introducing someone else in that spot along the way.

Icardi offers something than no other player can, so they should hold on to him, even if he might seem as a somewhat luxury player.

Bernat shouldn't be a starter, he is all right as a back up. I'd wish they rather start Kurzawa who at least has some unpredictability, whereas Bernat is as average as you can get for a top flight team without any noticeable attributes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Kurzawa isn't the player he was a few years ago though.
Bernat has been excellent the last seasons.
ADM provides little except glory moments. He'll play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad