Ligue 1 2016-2017

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Hire a sporting director and a REAL coach, who can manage the roster AND put some decent football tactic. Emery couldn't do either, he's completely out of his depth.

"Real" coach?

I mean, I know you hate the guy, but you're not even trying to look at the whole picture objectively there.

A - obviously, he's had great results in Valencia and Sevilla
B - his PSG side may end up with more points than they had in 2014 and 2015; the difference in their league position isn't the PSG performance really - it's the Monaco side, which is 10x better than any competition PSG had to face in the last 3 years
C - the home win vs Barca was special, and it took a freak night or luck and reffing to push Barca past it... It happens once in a 100 times, but it happened that night...

I'm not saying he's the right guy for the job in Paris, maybe he isn't.
But you're just piling hate on him with no consideration for any circumstances at all.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Disagree with great results with Sevilla in league. Heck, he finished 8th his last season there.
To say the difference isn't PSG performance is missing the whole season. Have you even watched them play?

You're absolutely not considering the whole picture here. He alienated tons of players, made PSG spend 50M on two players he never used (Jese and Kry), managed to crash earlier than Blanc ever did in CL, couldn't win the league even though PSG won it easily before. Sure Monaco's better, but I'm not sure where you get that they performed better, even if you ignore the **** poor showing on the pitch and only consider stats : Blanc lost TWICE last year, including one where they were already champs. Emery already managed 4 losses. Even if they win out, he can't reach last year's total. Year before they lost 3 times. Year before again 3 times.

Blanc has never lost 4 L1 games in a season. Emery's at 4 and he still has 3 games to go.

Emery's a mid-table coach to me. Only thing he can target is a 3rd spot with a good but not great team. He's badly outcoached most weeks, and let's not compare with Jardim and Favre who are both way better coaches.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Disagree with great results with Sevilla in league. Heck, he finished 8th his last season there.
To say the difference isn't PSG performance is missing the whole season. Have you even watched them play?

You're absolutely not considering the whole picture here. He alienated tons of players, made PSG spend 50M on two players he never used (Jese and Kry), managed to crash earlier than Blanc ever did in CL, couldn't win the league even though PSG won it easily before. Sure Monaco's better, but I'm not sure where you get that they performed better, even if you ignore the **** poor showing on the pitch and only consider stats : Blanc lost TWICE last year, including one where they were already champs. Emery already managed 4 losses. Even if they win out, he can't reach last year's total. Year before they lost 3 times. Year before again 3 times.

Blanc has never lost 4 L1 games in a season. Emery's at 4 and he still has 3 games to go.

Emery's a mid-table coach to me. Only thing he can target is a 3rd spot with a good but not great team. He's badly outcoached most weeks, and let's not compare with Jardim and Favre who are both way better coaches.

His Sevilla years are generally considered a success by most football people, seeing as how his team was in the hardest league in Europe and won 3 UEFA Cups in a row - meaning his squad was stretched pretty thin.

The point I was making about the amount of PSG points is that - if PSG win their last 3 games - they will have finished with more points than Blanc's PSG in '14 and '15 (but not '16).
So, yes, Monaco getting 20-30 points more than any other team during the last 3 years matters, to be honest.

As for the CL, saying "they got knocked out sooner, therefore he was worse than Blanc" is, again, missing context.
Emery lost to Barca, where he was an underdog. In freak circumstances as well.
Blance lost once to Barca, fair enough. He also lost to Man City and Chelsea, where he was never the underdog - if not a straight out favorite, with mostly the same team plus Ibrahimovic.
Saying "they got knocked out sooner" is like saying "Allegri's rubbish because Juve was knocked out in the 2nd round last year" (missing the context they got knocked out vs Bayern, and not vs Leverkusen or someone).

I'm not saying Emery is the right man for PSG - again, maybe he isn't. He probably isn't. I'm not even getting into that.

But to paint him as some sort of dime-a-dozen coach good enough for a mid-table team at best is not fair to him, nor being objective IMO.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Blanc's 14 and 15 squad wasn't close to this deep and rich. And yet he had less losses.
PSG was the underdog against Chelsea the first time (lost on away goals) and favourite the second time (won clear).
Only time they underachieved was not beating City. He got fired for that in fact.

He's totally out of his depth managing a team full of stars and talent.
As for saying he had the same team as last season, he lost Ibra, but gained Krychowiak (his choice), Ben Arfa (never used him), Jese (his choice), Draxler, Lo Celso (never used him), Guedes (never used him), Meunier, and got rid of Luis (his choice as well).

Yet the player he used the most is freaking Lucas... :facepalm:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Definitely with Evilo, his man management has been just absolutely absurd.

PSG was the underdog against Chelsea the first time (lost on away goals) and favourite the second time (won clear).

Just being a nitpicky Chelsea fan here, but they didn't "win clear" the second time, they won on away goals in extra time. So you can't really say "won clear" for 2014-15, but "lost on away goals" for 2013-14. Not to mention that the most one-sided game of any of those four was the second leg of the first time, in which Chelsea won on away goals (2-0 off an 87th minute away goal winner from Demba Ba, but Chelsea absolutely dominated that game and the result was never in doubt), although the 3-1 first leg was also pretty one-sided. That was honestly a very strange tie.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh yeah you're right, for some reason I was thinking about another game. That said, they clearly were the better side even though it was indeed very tight on the scoreboard.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
He's totally out of his depth managing a team full of stars and talent.
As for saying he had the same team as last season, he lost Ibra, but gained Krychowiak (his choice), Ben Arfa (never used him), Jese (his choice), Draxler, Lo Celso (never used him), Guedes (never used him), Meunier, and got rid of Luis (his choice as well).

Yeah, his signings were pretty bad, apart from Draxler and Meunier (who I know you don't like, but is actually a good player - whether he's better than Aurier, that's something else entirely).

Jese for 21 million lol...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Meunier's a decent option off the bench when you need some offense. Starting him over Aurier is... what can I say....

Draxler was Kluivert's move apparently.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Even if Meunier can be characterized as a good signing (which the argument can definitely be made), him starting above Aurier is still a reflection of Emery's ineptitude.

Oh yeah you're right, for some reason I was thinking about another game. That said, they clearly were the better side even though it was indeed very tight on the scoreboard.

Definitely true, but the same thing can be said about Chelsea in the second leg the year before. I'm just being persnickety though, Blanc's record is very clearly much better than Emery's was this year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So do you think PSG of years previous (with Blanc) beats Monaco of this year? Even Nice of this year has been a very big surprise to most, and has taken points off both Monaco and PSG.

With that said, PSG will likely finish on 5 losses...2 losses more than Blanc seems a bit nitpicky especially given that the league is stronger this season. I mean, at this rate they'll probably finish with 4 less points than last year, but with more points than the two previous seasons to that. PSG went out against Barcelona, but they also beat them 4-0 and there was a little bit of 'help' for Barcelona winning the overall tie. Arsenal got Bayern -- do you really think that having Blanc would have had PSG favoured against either of those opponents?

You can't rave about how amazing Monaco has been all season then slate Emery for not winning the league against them because he lost 2 more games than Blanc did (and still is likely finishing with more points aside from last season). You've been pretty anti-Emery from the start but realistically speaking PSG probably is about where they would have been anyway -- they'll probably win the CdF and finish in 2nd with more points than every season Blanc managed except the last one. I imagine he was brought in to do better in Europe but I mean, it's not like he flopped there or that Blanc would have done any better against Barca/Bayern really (actually we saw Blanc against Barcelona already).

EDIT: My math was a bit off because I thought they had 4 games left (I looked at Monaco's games played) too lazy to edit the totals but the point is still pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Monaco is impressive, but Blanc's PSG were rollercoasters.
In the end, PSG lost 5 points out of 6 against Monaco, but they also lost elswhere.

If PSG had played well and finished short, there wouldn't be a problem. But they failed on the scoreboard, they failed the eye test and they failed the man management. Winning the league was the only possible saving grace, and they couldn't either.

As for Blanc against Barca, Blanc did better and with a lesser squad against a better Barca.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Cercle Bruges are nothing but parasites who leech of off Club Brugge and I couldn't wait to see them relegate further down the Belgian leagues (they just narrowly escaped relegation to the 3rd tier this season). Their fans, the few they have, are also a bunch of hypocrites

So thanks Monaco :laugh:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It was lowly Bastia who were already badly beaten by then, but Lo Celso looked impressive in the limited minutes he got today.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It was lowly Bastia who were already badly beaten by then, but Lo Celso looked impressive in the limited minutes he got today.
No worries, Emery will put him back on the bench, even for meaningless games :facepalm:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Mbappé with two amazing assists already tonight, Monaco with their 101 goals of the season and is going to be champs tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad