Pre-Game Talk: Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
He is seeing much worse competition than Ceci and Nurse and is being sheltered a little bit which explains some of that.
Totally, I'd love to see the QoC but I don't think they are out yet. He's massively outperforming all his partners so he must be improving every pair he's on at the very least.

In 36 minutes of 5v5 time Nurse-Bouchard are: 1.5 xGA/60 and 1.64 HDCA/60. In 16 of those minutes without McDavid or Drai on the ice they are 1.33xGA/60 and 0 HDCA/60.

Small sample size obviously but they might have something there even if it regresses a bit.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Leaf fan coming in peace.

Jack Campbell will find his game guys, most of the time he's a slow starter and honestly he's getting acclimatized right now.

I know this swiss cheese version you're seeing is scary but I promise you this dude is capable of some seriously stellar play.

He is 1000% better than this, and you will see what he can bring to the table over the next few months, just let him get comfortable. The defensive play also needs to be better, but you guys know that.

All I'm saying is what you're seeing, is not all you're going to get, it'll come, just give him some time.

Best of luck to the season for you guys.
Thank god
He was actually pretty good against TB

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
4PP goals allowed in one game. Is that an Oilers record? If not what is. Worse, Caps were scoring on our pk for fun. On one they needed only 5secs to score, on another 20secs to score. Would have been a shitkicking if we ever got a major penalty.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
4PP goals allowed in one game. Is that an Oilers record? If not what is. Worse, Caps were scoring on our pk for fun. On one they needed only 5secs to score, on another 20secs to score. Would have been a shitkicking if we ever got a major penalty.
Apparently 6 in a 11-0 thrashing courtesy of the powerhouse Whalers back in 1984.

The most frustrating thing wasn't that the Caps scored so easily, it was that basically every penalty was a braindead play that would've been a penalty pre-lockout.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
The Oilers are unique in the NHL in the sense that literally every playoff level team would have been on their toes and come out guns a blazing against the Capitals, as you said. Just look at the Flames in Long Island last night, for example (even though they blew the game - lol). They got embarrassed at home, lost 4 in a row, players benched, etc. and then they come out and outshoot the Islanders 18-3 in the first.

The Oilers don't do that, they basically aren't capable of doing that. They don't seem to have it in their DNA whatsoever to actually come out with urgency when they have been embarrassed/not playing well/need a win, etc. Doesn't matter who the opponent is. In fact the worse the opponent the worse it usually gets because they will have a bunch of players that are hungry and want to prove themselves (what a luxury that must be to have) while we usually limp dick it out of the gate.

The issues with the team so far this year are well documented ($3M trio of bums, goaltending, PK), but THE issue with the team is commitment to a strong work ethic. This group of idiots come out every year shrugging their shoulders mystified why they can't seem to start games well. ITS BECAUSE YOU DONT f***ING WORK HARD. They f***ing float into games looking to dipsy doodle their way to scoring goals while the other team is usually comes out committed to playing a simple, no nonsense north south game because they are petrified to turn the puck over against us. It really isn't hard to figure out, but these jackasses can't seem to connect the dots. If we come out shooting the puck, getting to the net, making a commitment to being first to the puck and supporting each other in the d zone we will win a lot of games. But we can't, because easing their way into games like a bunch of bitches is all this group is mentally capable of doing. Only when they are down a few goals do they simplify out of pure necessity.

The most frustrating team in sports I have ever watched on a consistent basis by a mile. Its ridiculous at this point and EVERY player in the lineup is responsible for making it better. The cute starts are as much on Connor and Leon as anyone else on this team.
The Oilers just pulled a Leafs against the Caps....so no its not unique.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Apparently 6 in a 11-0 thrashing courtesy of the powerhouse Whalers back in 1984.

The most frustrating thing wasn't that the Caps scored so easily, it was that basically every penalty was a braindead play that would've been a penalty pre-lockout.
That team must've gone on a bender. I think I remember that game, but not enough to know it was 6 pk goals allowed. I think Gretz or mess were injured that game but wow. I think it was a road game. Afairc the Oilers were crap the whole road trip.

yeah. The penalties were so clear cut we can't even complain. Even Drai saying we take so many penalties and they're obvious ones. Like how do you not call those? There were 3 others we got away with. Just really undisciplined.

edit. yeah, I just checked. That 1984 Feb road trip was among the worst ever. The team played 5 Eastern road games, lost all of them, and were beaten 9-2 by Washington on same trip. They were showing no signs at that moment that they would be winning their first cup 3mths later. The cumulative scoreline on the trip was 33-9 including a loss to the Islanders who they would go onto beat in the Final. The Oilers had not yet solved the Islanders to that point having been swept by the Isles in the 83 cup final. There was some thought at the time though that the shit kicking the Oilers received on that road trip galvanized them to play better.

Indeed the Oil followed that infamy with an 8 game winning streak in which they were dominant.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Detecting this trend of getting scored on quickly on the PK thought I'd do the math. The average time the Oilers are shorthanded per penalty taken is 1:21. Only Vancouver is worse with 1:19. Granted even up calls impact this number as well as 5 on 3, but practically speaking all teams should have a bit of that.

Yesterday was just pitiful. Even one of the penalties that they managed to take almost to the full 2 minutes, they had a full intermission to prepare to kill the final 32 seconds and still couldn't muster the wherewithal to survive 32 seconds of PK time with a neutral zone faceoff.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If players like Yamo, Foegle and JP are not helping this team offensively at all... the least they can do is at least try to stay even in the +\- department. But when they're making stupid giveaways that lead to goals against (Foegle) or taking dumb penalties that lead to goals against (Yamamoto)... their play is now costing this team even more. It just adds to the frustration level fans have against these players already. I used to like Yamo quite a bit, I'm not sure what is wrong with him this year. Either he is injured or just playing scared now due to all of his injuries. He used to be such a hound on the puck, causing turnovers, breaking up plays, and being in the right spot offensively. It's pretty sad how his season is going so far.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Leave the lines alone from their winning streak. They had one bad game against Dallas, and even then they were generating a good amount of chances. I would even put Yamamoto back on the second line until we call up a right winger.
No. Just no.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Not to be overly positive or anything, but perhaps this Eastern swing might be what Campbell needs to settle in a bit more. Little more familiarity against these opponents in his career, and historically he's played Tampa pretty well, including the playoffs last year. Not to mention, we haven't done poorly against Tampa either.

Granted the more likely outcome is our D coverage and PK is going to leave him shell-shocked again. He'll have to make a few grade A saves tonight to plant some confidence.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I loaded up on treats and cannabis for tonight. so if the game starts going south I will still feel “ok”

Big shout out to my neighbour that did our sidewalks this morning. As always, I’ll get you next time!

• Haha

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
And Oshie, Backstrom and Carlson who all play first unit PP were all out of the lineup last night. Let that simmer on the stove for a moment.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The Oilers are unique in the NHL in the sense that literally every playoff level team would have been on their toes and come out guns a blazing against the Capitals, as you said. Just look at the Flames in Long Island last night, for example (even though they blew the game - lol). They got embarrassed at home, lost 4 in a row, players benched, etc. and then they come out and outshoot the Islanders 18-3 in the first.

The Oilers don't do that, they basically aren't capable of doing that. They don't seem to have it in their DNA whatsoever to actually come out with urgency when they have been embarrassed/not playing well/need a win, etc. Doesn't matter who the opponent is. In fact the worse the opponent the worse it usually gets because they will have a bunch of players that are hungry and want to prove themselves (what a luxury that must be to have) while we usually limp dick it out of the gate.

The issues with the team so far this year are well documented ($3M trio of bums, goaltending, PK), but THE issue with the team is commitment to a strong work ethic. This group of idiots come out every year shrugging their shoulders mystified why they can't seem to start games well. ITS BECAUSE YOU DONT f***ING WORK HARD. They f***ing float into games looking to dipsy doodle their way to scoring goals while the other team is usually comes out committed to playing a simple, no nonsense north south game because they are petrified to turn the puck over against us. It really isn't hard to figure out, but these jackasses can't seem to connect the dots. If we come out shooting the puck, getting to the net, making a commitment to being first to the puck and supporting each other in the d zone we will win a lot of games. But we can't, because easing their way into games like a bunch of bitches is all this group is mentally capable of doing. Only when they are down a few goals do they simplify out of pure necessity.

The most frustrating team in sports I have ever watched on a consistent basis by a mile. Its ridiculous at this point and EVERY player in the lineup is responsible for making it better. The cute starts are as much on Connor and Leon as anyone else on this team.

raw

Excellent post.

After years of this same shit, it almost feels like McDrai are a blessing and a curse. It's not like they are incapable of going all out and working hard (look at the McDavid injury scare game), but it's few and far between.

The sense of entitlement that they can just score at will is from the top down.

And thus, we get a coach-killing club for a good majority of the time. Woodcroft is looking over his head just like Tippett was. I'm not trying to bring the Leafs into it as their situation is not exactly the same but I get a similar vibe from them. Keefe is getting pushed around by big egos in their locker room as well, and while Babcock was past his prime, they stomped and whined until he was done.

I'm actually starting to get disgusted with this team again. I know people don't want me going on about the Hawks here, but I watched pretty much every game they played from 2009-2016, and the commitment to hardwork from their core was night and day. They had a winner's mentality. The years they won the Cup, it felt like it was going to happen.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Detecting this trend of getting scored on quickly on the PK thought I'd do the math. The average time the Oilers are shorthanded per penalty taken is 1:21. Only Vancouver is worse with 1:19. Granted even up calls impact this number as well as 5 on 3, but practically speaking all teams should have a bit of that.

Yesterday was just pitiful. Even one of the penalties that they managed to take almost to the full 2 minutes, they had a full intermission to prepare to kill the final 32 seconds and still couldn't muster the wherewithal to survive 32 seconds of PK time with a neutral zone faceoff.
Some alarming items looking at the individual penalty killers, Draisaitl is being scored on at an alarming rate of 20.9 goals per 60 on PK (granted 4 of the 7 GAs against were 6 on 4, 5 on 3 or 4 on 3). Nurse is also at 19.67 per 60 (only 4 of the 12 against were 6 on 4, 5 on 3, and 4 on 3).

But most concerning to me is RNH at 18.57 GA per 60 with all of them being 5 on 4 and him having the third most minutes of any forward on the kill, and Hyman at 13 GA/60 needs to get better as well.

McLeod and Yamamoto seem to be the only forwards with significant time staying below 10 GA per 60. The two of them had company last year with Draisaitl, Nuge and Hyman being even below 8GA per 60 last year, so the personnel they have can do it, they just aren't.

Nuge went from 4.7 last year to 18.57 this year. 10 GA all of last year on the kill, already 7 against this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
raw

Excellent post.

After years of this same shit, it almost feels like McDrai are a blessing and a curse. It's not like they are incapable of going all out and working hard (look at the McDavid injury scare game), but it's few and far between.

The sense of entitlement that they can just score at will is from the top down.

And thus, we get a coach-killing club for a good majority of the time. Woodcroft is looking over his head just like Tippett was. I'm not trying to bring the Leafs into it as their situation is not exactly the same but I get a similar vibe from them. Keefe is getting pushed around by big egos in their locker room as well, and while Babcock was past his prime, they stomped and whined until he was done.

I'm actually starting to get disgusted with this team again. I know people don't want me going on about the Hawks here, but I watched pretty much every game they played from 2009-2016, and the commitment to hardwork from their core was night and day. They had a winner's mentality. The years they won the Cup, it felt like it was going to happen.
It's hard to believe this is more or less the same team that dismantled the Flames last year in the playoffs. That game 3 they played should've probably been 10-0.

But any time this team sniffs success they get fat on it and fall back into old habits. It's absolutely maddening how the same issues continue to plague this team year after year:

Defense
Goaltending
Depth scoring

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's hard to believe this is more or less the same team that dismantled the Flames last year in the playoffs. That game 3 they played should've probably been 10-0.

But any time this team sniffs success they get fat on it and fall back into old habits. It's absolutely maddening how the same issues continue to plague this team year after year:

Defense
Goaltending
Depth scoring

They were allowing a ton of GA in the playoffs too. Not sure why you guys gloss over that. Calgary could not handle our speed or skill.

We are a run n gun team with a slow GM who takes forever to address issues.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Defense
Goaltending
Depth scoring

Indeed. As much as it sucks to pin any blame on McDrai, Kane, Nuge, Hyman etc, but those guys need to lead by example and show a commitment to 200 ft play at all times. Hyman is the only one that is bringing it almost always this season

While this might sound crazy given recent results, I think goaltending will be 'okay' now, provided the other two are solved. Campbell is better than shown, and Skinner has shown elite potential (he will be up and down this early in his career). The team shouldn't need Vezina goaltending to be competitive with the offensive potential it has.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They were allowing a ton of GA in the playoffs too. Not sure why you guys gloss over that. Calgary could not handle our speed or skill.

We are a run n gun team with a slow GM who takes forever to address issues.
Smith wasn't very good, he just happened to be better than Markstrom in round 2. Then a real team came along and put the Oilers in their place. This team is capable of actually shutting teams down but they just make egregious errors at the worst possible times.

Indeed. As much as it sucks to pin any blame on McDrai, Kane, Nuge, Hyman etc, but those guys need to lead by example and show a commitment to 200 ft play at all times. Hyman is the only one that is bringing it almost always this season

While this might sound crazy given recent results, I think goaltending will be 'okay' now, provided the other two are solved. Campbell is better than shown, and Skinner has shown elite potential (he will be up and down this early in his career). The team shouldn't need Vezina goaltending to be competitive with the offensive potential it has.
I'm still not going to worry too much about them. It just would be nice to get some depth scoring more often than once every three games. Yeah they need to be better in their own end but honestly who doesn't?

Campbell certainly isn't as bad as he's been playing but they need him to shape up and quick because a bad November could spell doom on the season. Luckily this division is trash save for Vegas.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Smith wasn't very good, he just happened to be better than Markstrom in round 2. Then a real team came along and put the Oilers in their place. This team is capable of actually shutting teams down but they just make egregious errors at the worst possible times.

I'm still not going to worry too much about them. It just would be nice to get some depth scoring more often than once every three games. Yeah they need to be better in their own end but honestly who doesn't?

Campbell certainly isn't as bad as he's been playing but they need him to shape up and quick because a bad November could spell doom on the season. Luckily this division is trash save for Vegas.

People need to stop with the “Avs were just the first decent team they faced!” … no the Avs were not just a good team, they were a great team. No one was beating them in a 7 game series, they never even trailed in one series once.

We are what we are, a pretty explosive run n gun team with one of the best offenses in the league. But they give back a lot due to GMs unwilling to spend on D and rather wait for maybe projects.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
It’s really hard to imagine getting any worse than that.

I loaded up on treats and cannabis for tonight. so if the game starts going south I will still feel “ok”

Big shout out to my neighbour that did our sidewalks this morning. As always, I’ll get you next time!
Lucky! Nobody gets our street shoveling. 😡

Oh well. I have some strong IPA’s I can have for the game tonight.

hahahaha that’s adorable.
As long as he doesn’t play to that size. Really hope Campbell can have a good game for us.

Skinner has bailed us out and given us some quality starts. Would be nice to see Soup deliver

Reactions: ZJuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad