Pre-Game Talk: Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
This all seems not good. Who possibly has a worse PK?
Screenshot_20221108-093425_theScore.jpg

Edit:
Anaheim 31st at 63.3%
Vancouver 32nd 60.5%

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Said last night I think this could be the big game situation we've been waiting for from Jack Campbell. Getting in late to T-Bay this team and back-to-back this is the scenario in which they will need a top goaltending effort. I'm looking for hot Soup on the menu.

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Was curious which Oilers D were giving up the most chances 5v5 so pulled these numbers.

xGA/60, HDCA/60
Bouchard 2.58, 9.33
Nurse 2.77, 10.99
Murray 2.85, 10.96
Ceci 2.86, 11.86
Kulak 3.19, 11.49
Barrie 3.31, 12.63
Niemalainen 3.33, 10.81

Just as an example here is Weegar and Toews
Weegar 1.95, 8.71
Toews 1.86, 8.85

I don't think any of this is entirely surprising except maybe Bouchard being that much better at limiting chances then the rest of the team.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I've seen this movie 1000 times.

Game 1 of the road trip: Slumping Oilers lose a game they should easily win on the road, look terrible.
Game 2 : Play way better, go toe to toe with a top team, and lose in OT or a SO
Game 3 : Scrappy win and collect an important 2 pts.
Game 4: Show up for one period and completely implode. Lose 5-3 or something like that. Blame the loss on the fact they have been on the road for a week.

Final record: 1-2-1 for 3 out of 8 pts. Stauffer declares the road trip a success.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I've seen this movie 1000 times.

Game 1 of the road trip: Slumping Oilers lose a game they should easily win on the road, look terrible.
Game 2 : Play way better, go toe to toe with a top team, and lose in OT or a SO
Game 3 : Scrappy win and collect an important 2 pts.
Game 4: Show up for one period and completely implode. Lose 5-3 or something like that. Blame the loss on the fact they have been on the road for a week.

Final record: 1-2-1 for 3 out of 8 pts. Stauffer declares the road trip a success.

I'm at the point now where I can predict with a pretty high degree of accuracy what the team is going to do on a given night. I knew yesterday was going to be a problem, and your description of Game 2 on the trip is my exact prediction for tonight haha.

This stupid team has followed the same template for 5/6 years now. Groundhog Day every god damn season.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'm at the point now where I can predict with a pretty high degree of accuracy what the team is going to do on a given night. I knew yesterday was going to be a problem, and your description of Game 2 on the trip is my exact prediction for tonight haha.

This stupid team has followed the same template for 5/6 years now. Groundhog Day every god damn season.

A Stanley Cup contender would have smoked the Caps in the first period and never looked back. They have most of their middle 6 and top 4 defense out with injury and they started their backup goalie. We just put the same VHS tape from the last decade back into the VCR and hit play.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Yeah but at least Holloway and Ryan are semi useful. I would waive Foegele for Janmark and replace Shore for Kostin though cuz what do we have to lose.

I don’t know if we can afford to lose Foegele’s offense and physical play. The 2 assists he has chipped in the last 30 games would leave a massive hole. His spooning the opposition along the boards and losing every puck battle would be sorely missed.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
My guess is they lose tonight, lose to Carolina to complete the win 5 straight lose 5 straight cycle and then they’ll win against the Panthers

I was planning on hopping over to Florida to catch that game against the Panthers but we’ve got a tropical storm/hurricane rolling into tonight/tomorrow so that plan might be shot to shit depending on how bad we get hit.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Our scoutign needs to prioritize guys that do well in limited ice time. Not acquire players who do well with a lot of minutes on crappy teams.

The imbalance of our roster necessitates a bottom 6 that can thrive even under limited playing time.

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Leaf fan coming in peace.

Jack Campbell will find his game guys, most of the time he's a slow starter and honestly he's getting acclimatized right now.

I know this swiss cheese version you're seeing is scary but I promise you this dude is capable of some seriously stellar play.

He is 1000% better than this, and you will see what he can bring to the table over the next few months, just let him get comfortable. The defensive play also needs to be better, but you guys know that.

All I'm saying is what you're seeing, is not all you're going to get, it'll come, just give him some time.

Best of luck to the season for you guys.
Classy post!

Best of luck to Toronto

That feels weird saying that……

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well this is a scheduled loss ... which means they will probably win.
Saturday was a scheduled loss.

Just in time to play against the Oilers

I don't think we really have a chance to win until our LA game honestly.

Leaf fan coming in peace.

Jack Campbell will find his game guys, most of the time he's a slow starter and honestly he's getting acclimatized right now.

I know this swiss cheese version you're seeing is scary but I promise you this dude is capable of some seriously stellar play.

He is 1000% better than this, and you will see what he can bring to the table over the next few months, just let him get comfortable. The defensive play also needs to be better, but you guys know that.

All I'm saying is what you're seeing, is not all you're going to get, it'll come, just give him some time.

Best of luck to the season for you guys.
I don't think Campbell can play well in front of our d.
Campbells biggest issue is his rebound control and our defense has been abysmal at that for years. His weaknesses is magnified by the teams weaknesses.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Was curious which Oilers D were giving up the most chances 5v5 so pulled these numbers.

xGA/60, HDCA/60
Bouchard 2.58, 9.33
Nurse 2.77, 10.99
Murray 2.85, 10.96
Ceci 2.86, 11.86
Kulak 3.19, 11.49
Barrie 3.31, 12.63
Niemalainen 3.33, 10.81

Just as an example here is Weegar and Toews
Weegar 1.95, 8.71
Toews 1.86, 8.85

I don't think any of this is entirely surprising except maybe Bouchard being that much better at limiting chances then the rest of the team.
He is seeing much worse competition than Ceci and Nurse and is being sheltered a little bit which explains some of that.

Reactions: The Safe Play

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Holland arranges his roster by salary.

Making $3M means you're better.
I think Fogele and Yamamoto could pass waivers. Pulju wouldnt.
Yes. Call up Järnmark and Kostin.
I think Kostin would be an upgrade.
Send down Yamamoto. They cP would work, yes?

Honestly, with the exception of McLeod, they’ve been better than our third line .. haha
How about Holloway? Has he been better latley?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
A Stanley Cup contender would have smoked the Caps in the first period and never looked back. They have most of their middle 6 and top 4 defense out with injury and they started their backup goalie. We just put the same VHS tape from the last decade back into the VCR and hit play.

The Oilers are unique in the NHL in the sense that literally every playoff level team would have been on their toes and come out guns a blazing against the Capitals, as you said. Just look at the Flames in Long Island last night, for example (even though they blew the game - lol). They got embarrassed at home, lost 4 in a row, players benched, etc. and then they come out and outshoot the Islanders 18-3 in the first.

The Oilers don't do that, they basically aren't capable of doing that. They don't seem to have it in their DNA whatsoever to actually come out with urgency when they have been embarrassed/not playing well/need a win, etc. Doesn't matter who the opponent is. In fact the worse the opponent the worse it usually gets because they will have a bunch of players that are hungry and want to prove themselves (what a luxury that must be to have) while we usually limp dick it out of the gate.

The issues with the team so far this year are well documented ($3M trio of bums, goaltending, PK), but THE issue with the team is commitment to a strong work ethic. This group of idiots come out every year shrugging their shoulders mystified why they can't seem to start games well. ITS BECAUSE YOU DONT f***ING WORK HARD. They f***ing float into games looking to dipsy doodle their way to scoring goals while the other team is usually comes out committed to playing a simple, no nonsense north south game because they are petrified to turn the puck over against us. It really isn't hard to figure out, but these jackasses can't seem to connect the dots. If we come out shooting the puck, getting to the net, making a commitment to being first to the puck and supporting each other in the d zone we will win a lot of games. But we can't, because easing their way into games like a bunch of bitches is all this group is mentally capable of doing. Only when they are down a few goals do they simplify out of pure necessity.

The most frustrating team in sports I have ever watched on a consistent basis by a mile. Its ridiculous at this point and EVERY player in the lineup is responsible for making it better. The cute starts are as much on Connor and Leon as anyone else on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad