Friedman: Lightning-Wild possibilities (Brodin/Dumba, Drouin)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He's a great guy, and losing him would hurt but if it's a choice between him and Scandella, who would you realistically want to lose?

Sucks that Minnesota is in such a bad spot, they have to lose somebody good.

That's a little too much. Dumba or Brodin and a 3rd is fine.

Scandella is the guy I would rather lose, for sure. If they had equal contracts, I'd say the opposite, but we need that cap space Scandella is taking up. I prefer to keep the cheaper contract. This is what you get when you sign a bunch of near 30 year olds to long term deals, and now we're paying for it.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
why would fletcher want to trade for a little guy with a terrible agent and thinks hes to good to show up in the ahl. seems like he would just make his job harder. bruce doesnt want more small wingers he wants the team to get bigger. it amazes me how people are in love with druin on these boards. if your going small id rather have tyler johnson the playoff beast any day of the week.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Scandella is the guy I would rather lose, for sure. If they had equal contracts, I'd say the opposite, but we need that cap space Scandella is taking up. I prefer to keep the cheaper contract. This is what you get when you sign a bunch of near 30 year olds to long term deals, and now we're paying for it.
Shame. A top 4 D signed long term at $4M per year is quite a deal imo. But you're right, those Parise/Suter signings have ****ed the landscape of your team for a long time, especially since you have to automatically protect both.

SMH.. no thanks.
And who do you think is a better fit? Vatanen?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Shame. A top 4 D signed long term at $4M per year is quite a deal imo. But you're right, those Parise/Suter signings have ****ed the landscape of your team for a long time, especially since you have to automatically protect both.

I wouldn't go that far.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
i would much prefer dumba go then, as he is RFA like Drouin and both could get messy as we try to divide up the money left over after Granlund and Nino.
Dumba is signed for one more year at 2.5M . That one year means EVERYTHING for the Wild. After next year we are out from Koivu's contract, and Pominville becomes tradeable or can be a realistic buyout candidate.

We would have one more year to see what Dumba can do, and decide whether to invest in him, whereas with Drouin we would be going on pretty uneven track record.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa

If we trade Drouin for a meh player like Vatanen I will poo a brick.

Barrie or Krug, both rumored to be available. We need points from our blue line and both could help on the PP.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Barrie or Krug, both rumored to be available. We need points from our blue line and both could help on the PP.

Both are very good at providing points. Vatanen is no slouch, either.

Don't see the Bruins or the Avs being in a position to trade Dmen, though. Ducks are a different story. You could get Vatanen + from them.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Suter has been more than worth his salary. Parise , too, until he hurt his back halfway through last year. Hasn't been right since then.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Dumba is signed for one more year at 2.5M . That one year means EVERYTHING for the Wild. After next year we are out from Koivu's contract, and Pominville becomes tradeable or can be a realistic buyout candidate.

We would have one more year to see what Dumba can do, and decide whether to invest in him, whereas with Drouin we would be going on pretty uneven track record.

and with koivu gone, we need money for a center (then the next year another) and another year of Dumba improvement plus inflation and he's going to be making significantly more than Brodin is now. Granny and Nino will be long term. Dumba will ask the same.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
You say Vatanen is meh, but then say you want Barrie.

:help:

Oh please explain.. can't wait to hear this.

The team was worse than a dumpster fire. He pretty much matched Duchene's point totals. We need a point producer and Tyson Barrie fits that bill. Len Barrie's son or not.

Last edited:

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa

The team was worse than a dumpster fire. He pretty much matched Duchene's point totals. We need a point producer and Tyson Barrie fits that bill. Len Barrie's son or not.
You've been here since 2004. You remember Kurtis Foster?

How about Marc-Andre Bergeron?

Still nothing? Hm. Matt Carle.

You want another Matt Carle on your hands. Good for you, I'm just relieved you aren't in charge of this organization.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
and with koivu gone, we need money for a center (then the next year another) and another year of Dumba improvement plus inflation and he's going to be making significantly more than Brodin is now. Granny and Nino will be long term. Dumba will ask the same.

Unless Dumba continues with his inconsistent play, then you don't commit a lot of $$ to him. That's the beauty of the extra year, and the downside of dealing for Drouin. Can anyone seriously argue that he is a consistent producer in the NHL at this point?

If Drouin was a C it would be worth taking the risk, but a LW?

Oops, forgot about the Barrie thing.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Unless Dumba continues with his inconsistent play, then you don't commit a lot of $$ to him. That's the beauty of the extra year, and the downside of dealing for Drouin. Can anyone seriously argue that he is a consistent producer in the NHL at this point?

no, i cannot. and that's another reason i'd rather trade Dumba. If he isn't a consistent player next year then we'd have kept the wrong player and we'd have to go rummaging around for another with high first round pedigree/potential. (assuming then Brodin is gone).

my preference and prediction for the ED hasn't changed since the rules were announced:
preference is expose Dumba but work out a deal with Vegas for taking someone else.
prediction is we lose Dumba for nothing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Oops, forgot about the Barrie thing.

Are you referring to Dumba or Drouin when you say "can anyone seriously argue that he is a consistent point producer"?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

The Avalanche being a dumpster fire doesn't absolve Barrie from his putrid defense. You could argue that he contributed to it.

That's not to say that he's a terrible fit or anything, but he definitely isn't near the top of my list either.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
The Avalanche being a dumpster fire doesn't absolve Barrie from his putrid defense. You could argue that he contributed to it.

That's not to say that he's a terrible fit or anything, but he definitely isn't near the top of my list either.
More than contributed. He was the putrid defense.

The last thing we need is a player playing the wrong position. I don't think this team needs offense that badly. Because... we don't.

We need defensive stability first and foremost with a bit of offensive jump.

Now... show of hands. Who thinks that's what Barrie is. Go on. Be honest.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Would love for Wild to deal for Drouin. We could move forward with a forward group of Drouin, Granlund, Kaprizov, Nino, Coyle, Zucker, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, Tuch, and Greenway. I think between Kaprizov and Drouin we would have our "game-breaker" offensively, especially with Granlund as a setup man.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

It's not really those two, it's all the ones that came after them. Two of them is manageable, five or six is not. I'm talking Pominville, Vanek, Cooke (though he's now off the books). Even the Koivu deal before those was a bit more expensive than it probably should have been. He's worth the money, but usually offense dictates salary, and his offense has never quite lived up to $7.5 million, except weirdly in the last couple of seasons due to him remaining as good of a scorer while all the other scoring in the league is shrinking and contracts were inflating a bit. The point is, though, pick a couple of really great 30 year olds, pay them, and then stop getting 30 year old players!

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
You've been here since 2004. You remember Kurtis Foster?

How about Marc-Andre Bergeron?

Still nothing? Hm. Matt Carle.

You want another Matt Carle on your hands. Good for you, I'm just relieved you aren't in charge of this organization.

Lol.. right. Barrie is a much better player than either were offensively at anytime.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Minnesota has coveted Drouin for a while now. I think they have the pieces to get the deal done, but I'm not sure Tampa necessarily needs what's being offered? (Brodin/Dumba)

Seems like the Lightning have plenty of young guys due for a raise, which probably complicates things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad