Friedman: Lightning-Wild possibilities (Brodin/Dumba, Drouin)

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Link
14. If Tampa Bay can’t swing a Vatanen deal, do they look to one of Minnesota’s defencemen? The Wild have expansion draft concerns. Either Jonas Brodin or Matt Dumba could make sense for the Lightning. Drouin would be an intriguing piece there, too.

Is there a deal to be made?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Correct me if i'm wrong, But wouldn't Fletcher want an expansion exempt player for either Brodin or Dumba you're going to lose at least one of them and Drouin would need to be protected so how does this make any sense.

They could go 4 and 4. Trade Brodin for example. Protect the 4 remaining D and 4 forwards. Either way they are screwed.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Friedman literally just speculates now.

Yup. I no longer have the respect for him I once did. Maybe he never deserved it. My mistake. Whatever, he doesn't deserve it now.

It Wild trade one of Brodin/Dumba don't they still lose the other one? Not sure. Don't remember but I thought that was a part of their problem.

Just as Ducks would have to add to Vatanen, Wild would have to add to Brodin or Dumba. Maybe a smaller add but still add.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Correct me if i'm wrong, But wouldn't Fletcher want an expansion exempt player for either Brodin or Dumba you're going to lose at least one of them and Drouin would need to be protected so how does this make any sense.

I guess it depends on the deal. A Zucker+Brodin/Dumba for Drouin+ deal would be interesting.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
They could go 4 and 4. Trade Brodin for example. Protect the 4 remaining D and 4 forwards. Either way they are screwed.

Granted they could they have to protect both Parise and Koivu due to their NMC and then protect Drouin and one more player. But that's still going to leave quite a few very good forwards in Minny unprotected. Yep either way you look at it they're screwed.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yup. I no longer have the respect for him I once did. Maybe he never deserved it. My mistake. Whatever, he doesn't deserve it now.

It Wild trade one of Brodin/Dumba don't they still lose the other one? Not sure. Don't remember but I thought that was a part of their problem.

Just as Ducks would have to add to Vatanen, Wild would have to add to Brodin or Dumba. Maybe a smaller add but still add.

If they go 7-3-1 they can protect one of Brodin and Dumba and have to expose the other along with Scandella. So if we trade one we still lose Scandella, which leaves us with 3 top4 defenseman. That's the problem.

This trade only makes sense for Minnesota if it's followed by other trades. I don't see it.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

If they trade one the other is protect and then they likely lose Scandella.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I really don't know what Tampa's expansion situation is. From the Wild's POV they've been saying they're going to go the 7+3 route forever and one would assume that's because they'd rather one of Brodin/Dumba/Scandella get sniped than the guys they'd leave exposed after Parise, Koivu, Pominville,+1 (lets say Granlund). So they'd rather lose one of our D than Coyle or Nino, essentially (or Staal if they think he's as important right now I guess).

At least that's the assumption i've been operating under.

I think they'd still go 7+3.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
If they go 7-3-1 they can protect one of Brodin and Dumba and have to expose the other along with Scandella. So if we trade one we still lose Scandella, which leaves us with 3 top4 defenseman. That's the problem.

This trade only makes sense for Minnesota if it's followed by other trades. I don't see it.

Agreed. Like you said, if there is another trade to follow that replaces Brodin/Dumba. Maybe a Nino or Granlund move to fill out our top4? If Fletcher feels he cannot fit both on new contracts of course.

If Staal is exposed, I could see Vegas taking him over Scandella. Depending on how things shake out of course. Vegas should have a more than decent top 4 without Scandella. As would we then. Bonafide top 6 centers will probably be harder to come by. Age difference notwithstanding. Very possible Staal could be Vegas's #1C next Oct. I guess this all depends on whether Pominville plays ball and waives his NMC.

Without straying way far out on the speculation/plausibility branch, Vegas taking Scandella looks to be best case scenario. Still blows, because Marco is one of my favorite players. He's just not irreplaceable.

Any way you slice it this expansion draft is going to hurt. I'm worried Fletcher's potential fiddling is just going to make it worse.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Nothing wrong with this. If talking heads and journalists never speculated and only ever reported rumours, there'd be like 15 minutes of hockey content a year. The problem is when people mis-represent speculating to be a reported rumour instead of that "insiders" opinion of what might happen.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There's reason it says possibilities in the title. It's not a rumor but it is something that makes sense and is worth discussing.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I really don't know what Tampa's expansion situation is. From the Wild's POV they've been saying they're going to go the 7+3 route forever and one would assume that's because they'd rather one of Brodin/Dumba/Scandella get sniped than the guys they'd leave exposed after Parise, Koivu, Pominville,+1 (lets say Granlund). So they'd rather lose one of our D than Coyle or Nino, essentially (or Staal if they think he's as important right now I guess).

At least that's the assumption i've been operating under.

I think they'd still go 7+3.

Lightning will go 7f-3d

Will have to expose one of Namestnikov or Killorn, and one of Dotchin or Koekkoek.

Definitely don't mind losing either of our D to Vegas if it means getting Dumba, but in all likelihood we lose Killorn to Vegas anyways

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba would be attractive to TB because he of his low cap hit for next year, giving them breathing room till 2018-19. It goes without saying that The Wild would have to trade Scandella and another forward for ED exempt assets before the ED for a deal such as this to make any sense.

Before the start of last year a forward like Drouin would have been a logical pickup, but one has to wonder whether he is a need now with the excellent years the young forwards(Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Zucker) on the Wild had, and the performance of their forward prospects(Kunin, Kaprizov, Greenway, Ek,etc..). A smallish LHW to join Zucker, NIno, Granlund, and Parise? Drouin is wonderful to watch on highlight clips, but how much of a need is he really? Wouldn't the Wild be better off getting a promising young D or C prospect or high pick?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

time of the year/expansion draft so sfa actually happening on the surface with teams are keeping their cards close to their chests, nobody is quite sure what's happening with Vegas or what other clubs are arranging. we'll likely get more info on hits and near misses once the trades start flowing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad