Pre-Game Talk: Lightning vs Leafs | January 28th, 7pm EST | TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Based on randy comments, they should be fine

God I hope so. But I'm a bit concerned about Kessel because this isn't the first time we heard him nursing an injury (wrist). Let's hope he doesn't tweak it to the point where he'll be out for a long time.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
My biggest concern with JVR and Kessel is the fact that they won't have any rest. With how much JVR gets banged around during games (especially against teams like Boston), I'm sure he's probably hurting and could use a little time off if it was possible but obviously he's going to keep playing through it (he basically did the same thing when he had a pretty bad hip problem in Philly). Kessel has seemed off/hurt at times this season as well. There's been a few times at practice this year where both had to leave the ice because it seemed like they were in pain.

It would've been nice if they could just stay home for the break and rest up, but oh well, that's life. At least other stars will likely be worn out as well.

Chicago won the cup with a bunch of their players in the Olympics. Who knows, a good performance might inspire their play for the rest of the year

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I think it suggests TB is a solid team because even if you take away one of the top players in the NHL they continue to perform as a top team in the conference.

I don't think our Leafs could do that.

If TB beats our Leafs despite one hand tied behind their back (missing Stamkos) it does make a statement towards our Leafs and their competitiveness in comparison. Stamkos is often a Leaf killer in past Leaf losses.

Lol, what? So you're pretty much saying that any team that loses to TBay shows that they aren't competitive? Because you do realize that in order for TBay to be in the position that they're it would mean that they've beaten a lot of teams, don't you?

FYI, the also have decent player in MSL who is ripping it up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lol, what? So you're pretty much saying that any team that loses to TBay shows that they aren't competitive? Because you do realize that in order for TBay to be in the position that they're it would mean that they've beaten a lot of teams, don't you?

FYI, the also have decent player in MSL who is ripping it up.

No I'm saying I'd be pretty impressed if my Leafs were able to do what TB is and that is battling for the division and conference title despite missing one of the best players in the world to injury.

Even with our best players playing we are not keeping up with the Lightning. Which means TB is a good team > Leafs even without a top player. Every team that loses to TB faces similar situation of proven Lightning are for real.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Losing your top players can do weird things; look at Ottawa last season and Pittsburgh the year before. Both lost their top players for prolonged periods of time and everyone got together and stepped up, but seemed to dip as soon as the top guys came back.

It's really weird and hard to predict.

I think the Leafs would be okay in the short-term, as most of the offence doesn't revolve around Kessel, but he's a game changer, so it's hard to say. Maybe everyone would play better defence? haha

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Tampa is a very inconsistent team over the last couple of years. They'll either win their division(back in the south least days) or be a lottery pick. I wouldn't be shocked if they're back in the basement next year, it's just the way they've been going in the last 5 years or so. However, they do have Drouin coming up and he should help the team in a few years.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Tampa is a very inconsistent team over the last couple of years. They'll either win their division(back in the south least days) or be a lottery pick. I wouldn't be shocked if they're back in the basement next year, it's just the way they've been going in the last 5 years or so. However, they do have Drouin coming up and he should help the team in a few years.

They'll probably draft McDavid next year :laugh:

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on

I guess kind of like how we couldn't win to save our lives, than we win 6 straight.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

When St. Louis demands his trade after Yzerman snubbed him from the Olympic team, Stamkos will suck and the decline of the Lightning will happen.

Then the Lightning will trade Stamkos to the Leafs and his career will be rejuvenated.

I can dream right?

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on

I guess kind of like how we couldn't win to save our lives, than we win 6 straight.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

i missed all of the game on saturday and almost all the dallas game, now it feels like forever since i watched the leafs. i think i'm going through withdrawal :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
When St. Louis demands his trade after Yzerman snubbed him from the Olympic team, Stamkos will suck and the decline of the Lightning will happen.

Then the Lightning will trade Stamkos to the Leafs and his career will be rejuvenated.

I can dream right?

I stopped dreaming...

The chances of Stamkos coming to Toronto before he's ~35 are about as close to zero as you can get. Stamkos likely stays in Tampa even if they did suck because there are no taxes over there...he would lose a lot of money if he went to any other team.

Tavares on the other hand is a different scenario...if the Isles continue to suck and we can become a more consistent team, we definitely have a chance to get him.

Guess when Tavares becomes a UFA? Around the time of the Leafs 100th anniversary.

SUCK ISLES SUCK!!!!!!

We need a 5 year thread tracking the Islanders progress :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
TB and TOR were the two teams most savaged by horrific goaltending for most of the last decade. Leafs finally fixed it with reimer and now bernier, and now it looks like the bolts have done the same with bishop.

Its nice to see.

Its just a crying shame that both teams sabotaged themselves for so long with incompetent goaltending.

I don't think they sabotaged anything...there just weren't any good goalies on the market.

We got Reimer and then Bernier shook lose from LA.

Tampa tried many times to get a good goalie before finally striking gold with Bishop.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I don't think they sabotaged anything...there just weren't any good goalies on the market.

We got Reimer and then Bernier shook lose from LA.

Tampa tried many times to get a good goalie before finally striking gold with Bishop.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here in either case. Bernier and Bishop both have really had this season as being #1s. Bishop had decent stats as a backup before that. We don't know how either of them will pan out quite yet but for the sake of a competitive league, hopefully they both do well.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here in either case. Bernier and Bishop both have really had this season as being #1s. Bishop had decent stats as a backup before that. We don't know how either of them will pan out quite yet but for the sake of a competitive league, hopefully they both do well.

If Bernier can play well under our so called "defense," I think it's safe to assume he's legit.

I think the Leafs will sign him to a long term deal after they see how he does in the playoffs (if we make it).

I would lock him up after this year for 6-8 years @ 5M per instead of waiting after next season when he plays ~70 games and demands Carey Price money.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No I'm saying I'd be pretty impressed if my Leafs were able to do what TB is and that is battling for the division and conference title despite missing one of the best players in the world to injury.

Even with our best players playing we are not keeping up with the Lightning. Which means TB is a good team > Leafs even without a top player. Every team that loses to TB faces similar situation of proven Lightning are for real.

the main difference between the Leafs & the Lightning is that A: we don't have older support players for our team, B: we're still very young with rookies who haven't played in 3+ seasons in key positional spots. so yes. if we were missing say just Kessel and we were horrendous - you may have had a point.

we haven't.

I would at least give the Leafs credit for all their struggles, they've only been out of a playoff spot for not even a full calender week - and now we're only 7 points behind Tampa. so..

... go Leafs?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If Bernier can play well under our so called "defense," I think it's safe to assume he's legit.

I think the Leafs will sign him to a long term deal after they see how he does in the playoffs (if we make it).

I would lock him up after this year for 6-8 years @ 5M per instead of waiting after next season when he plays ~70 games and demands Carey Price money.

so would I.
but you mean. when we make the playoffs.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Carey Price has been an outstanding #1 goalie for 4 years and is most likely Team Canada's #1 goalie as well. Bernier isn't there yet.

so would I.
but you mean. when we make the playoffs.

Well logically speaking, we haven't made the playoffs (with a full season played) in a decade so there's that.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Carey Price has been an outstanding #1 goalie for 4 years and is most likely Team Canada's #1 goalie as well. Bernier isn't there yet.

Well logically speaking, we haven't made the playoffs (with a full season played) in a decade so there's that.

Carey Price has had one outstanding year, no Vezina nominations, career average of .915 with 2.55 GAA (pretty good on an average team like the Habs) and has sucked in the playoffs and makes 6.5M.

I'd rather lock Bernier up at 5M.

In the NHL, you have to take some risks...there is a reason why JvR is one of our best contracts. He was signed based on his potential and how realistic it was for him to reach it. No surprise it's the Flyers that signed him, not the Leafs.

I bet JvR's contract would be closer to 5.5M had the Leafs signed him after he broke out.

Bernier's potential is a high end goalie and it's realistic that he can be that. In a league where Corey Crawford makes ~6M despite playing for a stacked team, I'd rather take the risk and worry about the rest later on.

Also, there is very little chance of Carey Price being the #1 goalie for Team Canada. Luongo has played great this season and since he won last time, he deserves to start purely based on experience.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Talk about not using injuries as an excuse for failure.

Lightning are the poster child to support this, as missing Stamkos one of the best players on the planet and not missing a beat as a team tied for 2nd in the Eastern conference standings.

Our Leafs are not missing a Stamkos but are not able to keep up with the Lightening. TB finished 3rd last overall last season while the Leafs made the playoffs.

Why are TB outperforming the Leafs this year?

:laugh:

What was their excuse last year? They had an identical team. Your argument is invalid.

LOOLOLOLOLOLOL

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
4 of our last 28 games are against the Lightning. We need to play well against them

we generally do.
I just looked back at last year's games, and we lost the series, but they were all 'close" (they won 4-2, we won 4-2 and then they won 5-2). tampa is one of the few teams in the league [I'd put Winnipeg, Dallas, and Chicago up there] that can really match and/or surpass us with their speed. Ergo - if we're on - it becomes a track meet, which suits both teams and if they aren't on - we burn them, and vice versa.

I truly believe and feel that we're winning tomorrow. [actually, I'm going to put this out there. We're winning all three games. Regulation [no overtime] vs. Tampa and Ottawa, and Im going to say a shootout against Florida, because well they are Florida]. I have full faith in this team and I think that they know they are in a perfect situation just before the Olympic break to really break away from Montreal [even with games in hand, now we're in the driver's seat in that aspect], Detroit & Ottawa.

:nod:
6 point week. Yeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad