Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign Nick Paul to 7-year extension | $3.15M AAV

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Teams knowingly over pay for UFA players every offseason, does that mean that they did not see those players as valuable?

I am not talking about asset value, but actual value
The first sentence doesn’t even make sense. They’re overpaying, of course they think they’re valuable. Probably over valuing them.

Actual value, so why didn’t he get any actual value back? If you want to skip the contract, then just say you miss him and want to open mouth kiss him or something. Because the rest of us are talking about the hockey world, which includes business.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The first sentence doesn’t even make sense. They’re overpaying, of course they think they’re valuable. Probably over valuing them.

Actual value, so why didn’t he get any actual value back? If you want to skip the contract, then just say you miss him and want to open mouth kiss him or something. Because the rest of us are talking about the hockey world, which includes business.

I shouldn’t have to explain what I mean. Teams value players differently depending on their compete level

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

He's talking about value in the sense that McDonagh heading to a competitor HE approves of and what we could get in return is different than Anaheim, Arizona, New Jersey, etc where they're at different levels with cap to spend.

McDonagh didn't have poor value. And he certainly didn't have poor value just because of one season "possibly" starting to decline. He had a weak return/value because of the combination of affordability, contender, and his approval.

I think it's a stretch to say if all 31 teams yielded offers, he wouldn't have returned us a better combo than what we were given. Of course this is the heart of the issue, the cap, but I disagree with your reasoning, especially any that sense a decline.

I would like to see him play a year on Nashville before saying he's declining.

• Love
Reactions: Rschmitz

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
McD got a handful of beans as a return, because he simply isn't valuable to us or anyone really anymore. he isn't a 1B anymore and his cap hit is an albatross in a flat cap world.

next off-season we would've had to package picks to get rid of McD. hes cooked, he has a NTC, and it's unlikely that our team will achieve as much success next season so his value will plummet further.

No.. it's because he got to choose where he'd like to go and Tampa worked with him to do so. Let's not pretend like McDonagh was on the open market to all other teams and this was the best offer they got.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's talking about value in the sense that McDonagh heading to a competitor HE approves of and what we could get in return is different than Anaheim, Arizona, New Jersey, etc where they're at different levels with cap to spend.

McDonagh didn't have poor value. And he certainly didn't have poor value just because of one season "possibly" starting to decline. He had a weak return/value because of the combination of affordability, contender, and his approval.

I think it's a stretch to say if all 31 teams yielded offers, he wouldn't have returned us a better combo than what we were given. Of course this is the heart of the issue, the cap, but I disagree with your reasoning, especially any that sense a decline.

I would like to see him play a year on Nashville before saying he's declining.

Exactly, that's like saying Max Pacioretty wouldn't make any team in the league because he got traded for nothing. Obviously teams trading for capspace aren't going to get full value on their assets.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
No.. it's because he got to choose where he'd like to go and Tampa worked with him to do so. Let's not pretend like McDonagh was on the open market to all other teams and this was the best offer they got.
Yeah and even then, players that get CS votes a previous season and revert back to an average don't get noses turned up at them. GMs for the most part are pretty foolish. Nashville was probably one of few places he wanted to play and they coughed up what they felt was sufficient for a player nearing his mid 30s.

The only teams that would've brought back a better return were teams that he likely didn't want to play for. Nashville can contend. He knows that and so does Poille by bringing him in. A team like Jersey, Anaheim, Isles, etc aren't really a McDonagh away from giving top teams in their conference trouble, but they would've given us better had the deal been with them.

Reactions: Rschmitz

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Exactly, that's like saying Max Pacioretty wouldn't make any team in the league because he got traded for nothing. Obviously teams trading for capspace aren't going to get full value on their assets.
Exactly… and sometimes the value of that cap space exceeds the value of the player you’re moving out so you have to pay extra to make up for that difference. The Bolts are likely betting McDonagh’s cap hit will exceed his value next year so they made the move now to avoid paying extra later. It’s a sound long term move. Is it the right move? Only time will tell but this team hasn’t been wrong a whole lot in the last few years

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
McD value is low because of his cap hit and NTC. WOW thanks guys I hadn’t thought of that with every post I had made like when I mentioned his contract and NTC. Also, btw sky this is sarcasm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad