Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign L Chris Kunitz (1 year, $2M AAV)

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Not thrilled with this but I'm fine with Kunitz, just one year deal and will provide us some depth, if he can get some scoring done on the third line then it's an improvement over Brown or Paquette.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I wouldn't even mind the signing if we all didn't JUST KNOW we're going to have a rookie sitting in the pressbox, watching Kunitz contribute little to nothing. I don't mind spending money on him, especially if we weren't a realistic destination for some of the guys I'd rather have (Markov, Marleau). Doesn't hurt to spend the money somewhere. I just feel like my head's going to explode when Adam Erne's serving popcorn for the sake of this contract.

My fear as well. We'll just have to see what happens when the skates hit the ice.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wouldn't even mind the signing if we all didn't JUST KNOW we're going to have a rookie sitting in the pressbox, watching Kunitz contribute little to nothing. I don't mind spending money on him, especially if we weren't a realistic destination for some of the guys I'd rather have (Markov, Marleau). Doesn't hurt to spend the money somewhere. I just feel like my head's going to explode when Adam Erne's serving popcorn for the sake of this contract.

Erne is waiver exempt, he won't be in the pressbox unless it's just a game or two, he'll be in Syracuse on the top line if he's not playing for the lightning.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Pens fan point of view:

Kunitz is still a serviceable bottom 6 player that knows how to come up big in big games. Not only did he score the game winner against Ottawa to send the Pens to the Final, he played a huge part in the Cup winning goal along with scoring 6 points in the Final.

He'll frustrate you some nights, but most players do. It's not his fault he was asked to play a position in Pittsburgh (top 6) a lot of nights that he just isn't able to play anymore. That was mostly because of injuries and we had no other/better options.

Used correctly, this will be a guy you will be glad is on your team. Good luck to him going forward.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Pens fan point of view:

Kunitz is still a serviceable bottom 6 player that knows how to come up big in big games. Not only did he score the game winner against Ottawa to send the Pens to the Final, he played a huge part in the Cup winning goal along with scoring 6 points in the Final.

He'll frustrate you some nights, but most players do. It's not his fault he was asked to play a position in Pittsburgh (top 6) a lot of nights that he just isn't able to play anymore. That was mostly because of injuries and we had no other/better options.

Used correctly, this will be a guy you will be glad is on your team. Good luck to him going forward.
I always hated him but he's always struck me as a guy you love to have on your team but hate when your team plays against him. He's going to be 38 soon though. Don't know how much he has left in the tank.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I always hated him but he's always struck me as a guy you love to have on your team but hate when your team plays against him. He's going to be 38 soon though. Don't know how much he has left in the tank.

Being 38 will be an issue, but it won't affect things like his leadership ability, how good he is in the locker room and, most importantly, his hockey IQ. The guy knows how to win, it's hard to simply stumble your way into having your name on the Cup four different times.

He got more money than I thought he would for sure, but he's not going to hurt your team if he's used correctly.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He was looking for a house for his family so they could get settled in and the kids could be in school, I believe.

I love Chris Kunitz the guy. Seems like a great human being and I wish him the best. He is not a top 6 option anymore and you will be frustrated with him if the coach puts him up there. He is a fine 4th liner at this point, but if you want offense out of your third line.... don't put him there either.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
He was looking for a house for his family so they could get settled in and the kids could be in school, I believe.

I love Chris Kunitz the guy. Seems like a great human being and I wish him the best. He is not a top 6 option anymore and you will be frustrated with him if the coach puts him up there. He is a fine 4th liner at this point, but if you want offense out of your third line.... don't put him there either.

Hopefully Coop won't. He did staple Brendan Morrow to the 4th line in our SCF season.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I'm actually starting to get excited about this acquisition. The interviews Kunitz has been giving have been really positive. He actually seems eager to play for the Lightning, thinks we're a true top contender for the SC and wants to win another ring with us. :D

Even if he's mostly 4th line, he can move up or back down the lines if needed due to injuries. We could use some grit and edge since Boyle left in addition to a whole willingness to work hard attitude that some of our more complacent forwards could definitely benefit from adopting. If he can help us have a few less of those "ah, this game isn't important at this time of the year, we can always catch up" slacking off in the first half of the season, he'll be more than worth the money.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I liked his interview. He sounds like a good guy and still sounds motivated to win. I just question how much he still has in the tank. Hopefully he can provide some depth scoring we have been needing.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Since it's just a year I don't see how pepole can be upset about this deal, as I said Before, if he can provide some scoring from the third line he is an upgrade over players like Brown or Paquette.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Kunitz as a 4th line option is great. A Kunitz, Dumont, Paquette fourth line should be effective and can play shutdown role and take defensive faceoffs from both sides of the ice. The player that this affects the most is Brown which I don't expect back again. It also affects Condra but I think it's clear that he is the Syracuse captain and a bottom line NHL call-up. We have not re-signed McGinn nor Bournival and they were both qualified RFAs. Erne could very well be a top line option and take McGinn's spot on the Syracuse top line with Peca and Condra. This signing won't affect the youth at all as it is a short term contract. Erne could use one more year in the AHL to round out his game in a top line, all situations role and be the lead PF on his line.

With the forward depth we have, should not see Kunitz in a top 6 role at all. Great signing here in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad