Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign L Chris Kunitz (1 year, $2M AAV)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Needed a RW not a left. Seem a bit overloaded on that side especially if Point is the 3C, Palat, Namestnikov, Killorn, Kunitz, Paquette means no Erne unless he moves to the right.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This reeks of Cooper.

Yzerman: "The league is getting younger and faster."

Cooper: "Hmmm... Get me older and slower. #Genius."

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
This reeks of Cooper.

Yzerman: "The league is getting younger and faster."

Cooper: "Hmmm... Get me older and slower. #Genius."

Hardly. Yzerman loves Kunitz, picked him over MSL in 2014 for Team Canada. I still remember his glowing endorsement.

I'm actually surprised to see you so against such a non-consequential move. If anything, it'll push some of those guys who are "too comfortable" like Brown or Paquette out of the lineup. At least Kunitz has some offense to his game. Brown hasn't been bringing speed or sandpaper going on two years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hardly. Yzerman loves Kunitz, picked him over MSL in 2014 for Team Canada. I still remember his glowing endorsement.

I'm actually surprised to see you so against such a non-consequential move. If anything, it'll push some of those guys who are "too comfortable" like Brown or Paquette out of the lineup. At least Kunitz has some offense to his game.

We all know the circumstances around that. Yzerman wanted MSL, was out-voted. Kunitz was there to play with Crosby. And hey, if we'd just signed Kunitz in 2013, I wouldn't have much problem with it.

Again, it's money spent that doesn't address a need. I guess maybe we can hope for a trade that makes sense. Otherwise, we're heading into this season with a team that might be worse than the one that didn't make the playoffs last year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We all know the circumstances around that. Yzerman wanted MSL, was out-voted. Kunitz was there to play with Crosby. And hey, if we'd just signed Kunitz in 2013, I wouldn't have much problem with it.

Again, it's money spent that doesn't address a need. I guess maybe we can hope for a trade that makes sense. Otherwise, we're heading into this season with a team that might be worse than the one that didn't make the playoffs last year.

Eh the one thing I can see is that he's not signing long term deals, Kucherov/Point raises in 2 years and the 2019 UFA class is insane, that's when you want to use your $$$. The only thing is that we have to make do for the next 2 years.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Jagr is available. :sarcasm:

If we plan on trading a few players than sure, we are getting a bit stacked at forward.

For a 3rd/4th line guy we could do worse, he'll pot 10-15, hit and make us a bit harder to play against. Weren't people complaining we were too easy to play last year?

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013

I'm aware. I'm just saying we know Yzerman is a big fan of his.

Any needs that should be addressed weren't going to be addressed via free agency. We all knew this. This is a move that does make us a tiny bit better, if only because it knocks JT or Cedric out of the lineup. Not a need, but it doesn't hurt.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If we plan on trading a few players than sure, we are getting a bit stacked at forward.

For a 3rd/4th line guy we could do worse, he'll pot 10-15, hit and make us a bit harder to play against. Weren't people complaining we were too easy to play last year?

He had 11 goals in the season + playoffs combined... this was on the 1st/2nd/3rd lines with Malkin and Crosby.. unless you glue him to Kucherov I wouldn't bet on over 10 goals.

Harder to play against? in what way, he's a liability out there now a days with his footspeed. His #1 center Malkin was a +18 and Crosby was a +17 last year and Kunitz ended up even, when seperated from a guy who drives possession he was absymal for on ice goal differential, at least Morrow was known for decent defensive game, Kunitz is one-dimensional and he sucks at that also.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Eh the one thing I can see is that he's not signing long term deals, Kucherov/Point raises in 2 years and the 2019 UFA class is insane, that's when you want to use your $$$. The only thing is that we have to make do for the next 2 years.

Yeah, I didn't want to give out long term deals either. But we've spent $5m on players that are unlikely to help any of our glaring needs from last year.

I guess if Kunitz was the only guy who'd answer the phone for Yzerman, I get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad