Confirmed with Link: Lightning sign L Chris Kunitz (1 year, $2M AAV)

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not a fan of him. He has been clutch depth scorer for the Pens. Game 7 vs the Sens comes to mind.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kunitz is what 38? Crap he is even older than me. I know people from the northern states like to settle down and retire in Florida down the road, but this is ridiculous. Not sure what Kunitz will bring without having Crosby attached to his hip. Maybe this is Tampa's Brendan Morrow 2.0? Heck that team did pretty well, right?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Kunitz is what 38? Crap he is even older than me. I know people from the northern states like to settle down and retire in Florida down the road, but this is ridiculous. Not sure what Kunitz will bring without having Crosby attached to his hip. Maybe this is Tampa's Brendan Morrow 2.0? Heck that team did pretty well, right?

Kunitz is not a bad option but I just felt today we let other guys slip away waiting on shattenkirk to sign here

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kunitz is not a bad option but I just felt today we let other guys slip away waiting on shattenkirk to sign here

Shattenkirk used other teams as leverage so he could sign with the Rangers. Knew from day one he was going to go there. He is from the area so its a homecoming.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Shattenkirk never wanted be here. That's exactly why the Girardi rumors came up a few days back

Plan B. That's Girardi's nickname now;

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Ugh, hopefully I'll only have to watch Kunitz and his stupid **** eating grin in a Bolts uni for one year. Over-the-hill pest...

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
If this were the only signing I wouldn't mind since it's basically a nothing contract but under the circumstances it just makes a bad day even worse.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
At the very least he will bring an edge to the team. Thats always been an issue. Everyone always seems to play so soft. Nobody fears anyone on our roster. Now i'm not saying that Kunitz or Girardi is going strike fear into anyone (far from it) but they do bring a more physical game and they are both veterans. I guess I just like to look at the glass as half full but i'm really not that disappointed with both signings.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
This signing reminds me a lot of Brandon Morrow. Rather unimportant long term, but even though he wasn't useful, he did have a role to play in the bottom lines. Sometimes having a vet down there with all the kids we are expected to ice might help. Or he will suck, and will be waived by spring. Its one year deal so it doesnt really matter longterm.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The Ducks made a big mistake trading Kunitz back in the day. That top line with him, McDonald and Selanne was amazing for us.

Here's a video I put together, though it was prior to his PPG year (shortened season).

Best of luck to him in Tampa.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The Ducks made a big mistake trading Kunitz back in the day. That top line with him, McDonald and Selanne was amazing for us.

Here's a video I put together, though it was prior to his PPG year (shortened season).

Best of luck to him in Tampa.

This actually gets me pumped up about him

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This signing reminds me a lot of Brandon Morrow. Rather unimportant long term, but even though he wasn't useful, he did have a role to play in the bottom lines. Sometimes having a vet down there with all the kids we are expected to ice might help. Or he will suck, and will be waived by spring. Its one year deal so it doesnt really matter longterm.

Brendan Morrow playoff statline for our 2015 SCF year
24GP 0g 0a 0p 22pim

Similar to Kunitz, he came to us at 37 years old with a sub-par 25~ point season from St.Louis and fell off a cliff, I'd expect the same thing from Kunitz this year.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He had 11 goals in the season + playoffs combined... this was on the 1st/2nd/3rd lines with Malkin and Crosby.. unless you glue him to Kucherov I wouldn't bet on over 10 goals.

Harder to play against? in what way, he's a liability out there now a days with his footspeed. His #1 center Malkin was a +18 and Crosby was a +17 last year and Kunitz ended up even, when seperated from a guy who drives possession he was absymal for on ice goal differential, at least Morrow was known for decent defensive game, Kunitz is one-dimensional and he sucks at that also.

Spot on

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't even mind the signing if we all didn't JUST KNOW we're going to have a rookie sitting in the pressbox, watching Kunitz contribute little to nothing. I don't mind spending money on him, especially if we weren't a realistic destination for some of the guys I'd rather have (Markov, Marleau). Doesn't hurt to spend the money somewhere. I just feel like my head's going to explode when Adam Erne's serving popcorn for the sake of this contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad