Recalled/Assigned: Lightning re-call Andrei Vasilevskiy | Ben Bishop dealing with "minor nagging issue"

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I'm feeling pretty confident that Vasi's development will go like this.

2014-2015 AHL Starter
2015-2016 NHL Backup
2016-2017 NHL Starter (Bishop Traded. Only if Vasi is excelling, if not he will continue as NHL Backup.)

This is the roadmap I think the Lightning are looking at the most. 2015-16 is the last year of Bishop's extension so that will be put up or shut up for him and the year Vasi really has his chance to show he's the second coming of the Bulin Wall.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Trade our superstar Stamkos, Trade our vezna goalie Bishop. JESUS! what is wrong with Tampa fans as of late. You'd think we were in last place or something. Whats next, The TKO line was a -1 last game BETTER TRADE THEM ALL!!!

Its like the sky is falling. :scared:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Trade our superstar Stamkos, Trade our vezna goalie Bishop. JESUS! what is wrong with Tampa fans as of late. You'd think we were in last place or something. Whats next, The TKO line was a -1 last game BETTER TRADE THEM ALL!!!

Fire sale? :sarcasm:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

When did Bishop win a Vezina?

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Another good point is how many games has Bishop stood on his head this year? (Maybe zero)

But how many games has our opponent's goalie stood on their head? (lots of games)

Bishop is very average so far. Not to say he can't get better. (and he likes to get hurt)

If you could get a bundle for him get it while you can. (not in his last year of his contract)

Most of you think we are not going to win the cup this year. why not try to win the cup with Vas.

I didn't say give him up for nothing. But in a dream world if you got a top top pairing offensive defenseman(even if we added) what a happy new year it would be.

Vas is a difference maker.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Another good point is how many games has Bishop stood on his head this year? (Maybe zero)

But how many games has our opponent's goalie stood on their head? (lots of games)

Bishop is very average so far. Not to say he can't get better. (and he likes to get hurt)

If you could get a bundle for him get it while you can. (not in his last year of his contract)

Most of you think we are not going to win the cup this year. why not try to win the cup with Vas.

I didn't say give him up for nothing. But in a dream world if you got a top top pairing offensive defenseman(even if we added) what a happy new year it would be.

Vas is a difference maker.

Lmao dude you have such a short memory.

2nd game against Ottawa, the Chicago game where we got dominated, the SJ game where we also got dominated, and the rematch vs Minnisota to name a few.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Trading Bishop returns the most to the organization.
Trading Gudlevskis relieves the logjam (but what happens when Bishop's contact ends?)

If we move Bishop, I think it would happen in the offseason, prior to the draft.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Lmao dude you have such a short memory.

2nd game against Ottawa, the Chicago game where we got dominated, the SJ game where we also got dominated, and the rematch vs Minnisota to name a few.

It's not a short memory. It's selective memory. Whatever fits his narrative.

I can't stand this thread anymore. Ridiculous.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Trading Bishop returns the most to the organization.
Trading Gudlevskis relieves the logjam (but what happens when Bishop's contact ends?)

If we move Bishop, I think it would happen in the offseason, prior to the draft.

That could potentially make sense. Bishop is 28 this season, and an extremely large butterfly goalie (aka the most injury prone of all on both fronts). But then we'd have to find a up good back and would be putting intense pressure on Vasya as a rookie/21 yr old starter. But it's probably smarter to wait one more year before moving him and be more patient with Vas.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That could potentially make sense. Bishop is 28 this season, and an extremely large butterfly goalie (aka the most injury prone of all on both fronts). But then we'd have to find a up good back and would be putting intense pressure on Vasya as a rookie/21 yr old starter. But it's probably smarter to wait one more year before moving him and be more patient with Vas.

We don't know that Vasy is better than Bishop right now. In fact, he's very likely not. We're still years away from this conversation.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I wasn't suggesting that he was right now, but in a year or 18 months...

Vasi is going to be good. He's probably not ready to lead us deep into the playoffs this year. BUT.. geez I don't know. This is a kid who really has never failed and is bubbling with confidence. Bishop is still the top dawg. Do we really go with Nabokov in the playoffs though? Seriously who has confidence in him coming into a big game?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Tretyak was 20 during Summit Series 72...

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
It's a bit early to start promoting Vasy to a starters role when he has played four NHL games. There's no point in throwing him to the fire when we have an actual proven starting goalie already. Let him come along slowly. Everyone could see the potential in Rask at the time and Boston didn't make him the full time starter before he was 24. Let him play this year in the AHL, backup in the NHL/starter in the AHL next year and then promote him to be the backup for '16-'17 season.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I guess the real question is, where does Gudlevskis fit into the equation? He's having a really good year in the AHL. Do you think in a year he could be an NHL back-up? He's a real wild card in the whole equation to me, cause the kid is damn good.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I guess the real question is, where does Gudlevskis fit into the equation? He's having a really good year in the AHL. Do you think in a year he could be an NHL back-up? He's a real wild card in the whole equation to me, cause the kid is damn good.

Trade value baby.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I'd rather him be the backup next year than Vasy. Let Vasy play 50 AHL games + a handful of NHL games next year. Then see where things stand the year after.

2016/2017 is the year where we'll want to see Vasy and Bishop a little more head to head. Until then, it's best for Vasy to keep him playing as many games as possible IMO.

I still wouldn't doubt seeing Bishop extended beyond this contract though. A lot of it depends on how we do in the playoffs in the next couple of years. If Bish gets us deep, he wins job security.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't see us trading Bishop. Not anytime soon. Goaltending was our biggest weakness for years. SY will tread this carefully. Even if it means having Bishop and Vasi on the roster for a while.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yzerman will do exactly the right move at exactly the right time. We may not realize it until after the fact, but that's his MO. Trust in the Yzerplan and let's not worry our feeble little minds with goaltending controversies. Papa Y will take care of it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd rather him be the backup next year than Vasy. Let Vasy play 50 AHL games + a handful of NHL games next year. Then see where things stand the year after.

2016/2017 is the year where we'll want to see Vasy and Bishop a little more head to head. Until then, it's best for Vasy to keep him playing as many games as possible IMO.

I still wouldn't doubt seeing Bishop extended beyond this contract though. A lot of it depends on how we do in the playoffs in the next couple of years. If Bish gets us deep, he wins job security.

I'd like us to call up Gudlevskis and give him another look at the NHL level. Vasilevskiy is starting to show that he's adjusted to the NA game and soon the AHL is no challenge for him. Gudlevskis still has consistency issues in the AHL, if he doesn't show he can be a solid backup in the NHL keep him in the A trying to get more consistent instead of Vasilevskiy.

If Vasilevskiy shows he needs NHL action only then let him be the backup and do a 50/32 split similar to what St. Louis does. It'll give Vasilevskiy a solid amount of starts and Bishops down to hopefully keep him healthy.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Dont see any reason to trade Bishop, maybe for rental at the end of contract bcause even good goalies dont have that much trade value.. What we would be getting in return could be early 2nd rounder or mid/late first at it's best. Rather have him play his contract to end and continue as backup if he wants to sign assuming Vasy continues to develop into starter. But if for some reason he doesnt develop to starter we would still have Bishop, really wouldnt want to see us end up with nothing if we trade Bishop next season. Think the pressure would be easier too for Vasy having Bishop playing for us until the end of his contract.

And yeah rather see Gudlevskis as backup bcause most likely the plan is to develop Vasy into steady starter. Gudlevskis got potential too and think the best solution would be to give him chance in NHL and Vasy getting all the games in AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad