Recalled/Assigned: Lightning re-call Andrei Vasilevskiy | Ben Bishop dealing with "minor nagging issue"

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Erik Erlendsson @erlendssonTBO
#TBLightning have recalled Andrei Vasilevskiy from #SyrCrunch this morning, I'm not aware of any injury situation for this move
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=746245

Bryan Burns @BBurnsNHL
Possible reasons for Vasilevskiy's return? #TBLightning had an open roster spot and Buffalo is only 2.5 hrs. by car from Syracuse.
Cooper has said he wants to get Vasy as much NHL playing time as possible. The upcoming nearby road trip seems like a good chance to do so.

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
19026j77dkokkgif.gif

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Wow. They really like this kid. He seems like the de facto backup, but splits time between the AHL and NHL.

Notice that Brie didn't deliver the news?

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Obviously I feel bad for Kristers. He had a hell of a streak going in 'Cuse and likely earned some NHL time as well. But the relief to my liver of not having Nabby as our backup option for a bit soothes my grief.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
This is great news. I'd much rather give the games Bishop isn't going to play to Vasi than Nabokov. Every bit of experience he can get is a plus for the future. He showed he can hold his own in the NHL and the organization is rewarding him. :handclap:

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think a Trade is happening. Why else do this? I mean unless there is a family emergency happening that we don't know about. (Wife or Girlfriend having kids. Etc etc.)

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I think a Trade is happening. Why else do this? I mean unless there is a family emergency happening that we don't know about. (Wife or Girlfriend having kids. Etc etc.)

Unless we're trading Bishop I don't see where a trade makes sense. Nabby has zero to negative value and Vasya needs to start the majority of games. Personally I think they lost all faith in Nabby and will try to limit his starts while giving Bishop appropriate rest.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Both teams will be on the road the next couple of games. Here's the schedule of both teams:

12/31 3PM SYR vs Rochester
12/31 6PM TBL at Buffalo

01/01 -

01/02 7PM TBL at Pittsburgh
01/02 7PM SYR at Albany

01/03 7PM SYR at Binghamton

01/04 7PM TBL at Ottawa

Last edited:

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Unless we're trading Bishop I don't see where a trade makes sense. Nabby has zero to negative value and Vasya needs to start the majority of games. Personally I think they lost all faith in Nabby and will try to limit his starts while giving Bishop appropriate rest.

Like I said, could be a personal reason. Perhaps Bishop just found out his good friend has cancer or something. So he asked the team to spend a couple of days with him. Just saying. That would make sense.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
We'd have to waive Nabby. No way can we trade him. He hasn't done anything to earn the faith from our organization and nothing points to him improving elsewhere.

This is to give us the best chance to win. The standings are too close to be losing games because old-man Nabby can't get off his back quickly.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Obviously I feel bad for Kristers. He had a hell of a streak going in 'Cuse and likely earned some NHL time as well. But the relief to my liver of not having Nabby as our backup option for a bit soothes my grief.

This is great for Kristers too. It's a way of getting him more AHL starts than he normally would have gotten. That's what this is about IMO. Getting both guys as many starts as possible.

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
This is great for Kristers too. It's a way of getting him more AHL starts than he normally would have gotten. That's what this is about IMO. Getting both guys as many starts as possible.

Oh, I agree. I just hope he'll get a chance in Tampa as well before the end of the season.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
This is interesting but in no way bad, I want to see more of Vasy. I do thin k that he will play the game against Buffalo (which I will miss because it starts at midnight here) but I also wouldn't have minded seeing him against Pittsburgh on Jan 2nd.

Notice that Brie didn't deliver the news?

Funny :p::laugh:. But since I only seem to bring bad news and this isn't that it's no surprise that it didn't come from me

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Coop and SFY don't trust Nabby anymore, the team doesn't have faith in Nabby, and I cry every time he's in net. With the division so close right now we need to start separating us from the pack. With Vasi picking up a few more games it will give Bishop some rest so we don't overplay him like we did last year.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is certainly a good thing. Just better not do what we did in that last Islanders game. Poor kid had to try and stop nearly 50 shots.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Coop and SFY don't trust Nabby anymore, the team doesn't have faith in Nabby, and I cry every time he's in net. With the division so close right now we need to start separating us from the pack. With Vasi picking up a few more games it will give Bishop some rest so we don't overplay him like we did last year.

It's as much about getting both Vasi and Gudlevskis starts, IMO. Vasi can handle the NHL--excellent! So now, tomorrow night, both he and Gudlevskis will get a start under their belt rather than one of them sitting on the bench.

Damifino

Dec 23, 2013
FL Keys
It's as much about getting both Vasi and Gudlevskis starts, IMO. Vasi can handle the NHL--excellent! So now, tomorrow night, both he and Gudlevskis will get a start under their belt rather than one of them sitting on the bench.

This - There is no benefit to the immediate fortunes of the team or the long-term development of the young goalies in starting Nabby again this year. I will guess the only time he sees the ice this year again is due to geography (or a blow-out).

The remaining back-to-backs are:
Jan 12/13 - Flyers/Bruins - Away/Away
Feb 7/8 - Kings/Ducks - Home/Home
Feb 21/22 - Coyotes/Avs - Away Away (Probably wont travel here)
March 30/31 - Canadians/Leafs - Away/Away (Interesting!)

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
If we plan on going far in the playoffs, and to keep bishop healthy we need to rest him more. So in that case Vasi needs to see more games up here, because Nabby is incompetent.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I don't want to disappoint anyone by not coming with at laest some bad to meh news today:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad