Prospect Info: Lightning host 2015 Rookie Tournament at Germain Arena

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Lightning wins!!!

Can get use to hearing that all season long.

Klutch86

Dec 27, 2014
Thought Masin was pretty bad tonight. Don't like Hart or Darcy.
Impressed with Brayden Point every time I watch him. Liked the DiGI-Cirelli-Joseph line, Stephens & Yan

Pretty excited to see Zettler work with Deangelo

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wilcox doesn't seem to have the pure athleticism of Guds, but he's focused or something. Makes tough saves look easy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thought Masin was pretty bad tonight. Don't like Hart or Darcy.
Impressed with Brayden Point every time I watch him. Liked the DiGI-Cirelli-Joseph line, Stephens , Yan

Point was the main standout, for me. He's like Jo Drouin's dipsy-doodle mixed with Tyler Johnson's drive to the net.

I thought Adam Erne had a quietly good night.

Peca too, although his quiet plays generated offense.

Anthony DeAngelo scared me a little bit. We all knew his D needs work, but he looked like Stamkos trying to play D.

Walcott was a mixed bag.

Overall though, it's hard not to be impressed by the group. Even a lot of the kids nobody but us know about got to show a little flash. Joseph, first and foremost. The Preds were a bit overwhelmed by the skill we had. Pretty impressive considering I think DeAngelo was the only first rounder on the team.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Very impressive showing by the kids. Stephens and Joseph as two on the youngers guys on this team (both 18 years old from this 2015 draft) made great first impressions. It was really great to see Stephens hands this game since his skill level seemed like the only thing in question on his scouting report.

The biggest thing I can take away from a game like this is just seeing how a lot of these young guys can easily fit into the big club down the road after some years of solid development. Credit to Yzerman and scouts once again. There's a good pipeline in place.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Scoring:

1 Point - Assists: Blujus, Erne
2 Stephens (PP) - Assists: Point, DeAngelo
3 Joseph - Assists: Cirelli, DiGiacinto
4 Stephens - Unassisted
5 Darcy - Assists: Yan, Hart

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/gudlevskis-shines-in-5-1-win-in-prospects-tournament/2245347
"I thought he (Gudlevskis) was outstanding," said AHL Syracuse coach Rob Zettler. "He gave us a chance to come back with his play."

The Lightning was sloppy in the early going, "scrambly" as Zettler put it, outshot 15-7, falling behind 1-0 on a power play goal. But Gudlevskis kept Tampa Bay in the game in the first period with 14 saves, including several high-quality ones. He split the game with Adam Wilcox, who was sharp, too, with 18 saves.

"Wilcox was quietly good," Zettler said. "The difference was Gudy was good visibly because we had so many shots against. Wilcox was good because he was really poised and calm."
Center Brayden Point, who had two points, tied the game midway through the first period on a rocket wrist shot on a 2-on-1 with Mitchell Stephens.

"He's obviously gifted offensively, you saw that on his goal," Zettler said. "A hell of a shot."
...Mathieu Joseph, a fourth round pick, capped off his active all-around game with a goal of his own later in the second. He was always hustling, using his speed, creating chances. "I like this mentality of having a fast team, I think that's more my strong suit," he said.
Joe Smith's thoughts:
Gudlevskis obviously stepped up, starting his month-long audition for the backup goalie spot with a strong performance. He squared everything up, made some acrobatic saves, including one with his toe on a re-direction in front, and another with his mask.

Wilcox was sharp, too, though didn't have to make as many highlight-reel saves as Tampa Bay played better in front of him.

I liked the line of Ikonen-Peca-Vermin, which will likely end up in Syracuse together. Adam Erne, coming off his shoulder injury, looked pretty good, picking up two assists. His line with Mitchell Stephens (two goals) and Brayden Point (two points) will be fun to watch.

Cristiano Digiancinto was his scrappy self, throwing his body around. Mathieu Joseph was one of Tampa Bay's best players, extremely active and fast, creating a few chances and getting rewarded with a goal (knocking in a loose puck).

Defenseman Dominik Masin, in his first game since February (due to an upper body and wrist injuries) looked a little tentative at first, but will likely have to ease his way in. Tony DeAngelo, the first round pick in 2014, got beat badly on one rush (which didn't lead to a goal), but showed his offensive instincts, especially on the power play, and nearly scored a goal in the second on a rush.

Daniel Walcott and Matthew Spencer were probably the best defensemen for Tampa Bay tonight. Not a bad start overall.
http://www.boltprospects.com/conten...tourney?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
“I think our line did very well tonight,” Joseph said. “We’re three young players in the organization and we worked hard and we play simple and we keep possession of the puck and played our style and I think it went well.”
The Lightning were led defensively by Dotchin and fellow AHL second-year player Blujus. Both players are now in a leadership role for the Lightning in this, their third rookie tournament. Dotchin, who made strong play after strong play all evening, wore an alternate captain’s A for the game, along with Syracuse teammate Henri Ikonen.

“Last year was a big learning step for me,” Dotchin said. “Just being able to learn from guys like Mike Angelidis and JP Cote, Joey Mormina, the list goes on. There’s a lot of guys I got the privilege to learn from last year and [learn] how to act like a pro, so I tried to bring it tonight and I think it worked out.”
The 3rd captain for the bolts was Vermin.

BP also has a breakdown for each Bolt that played so definitely check out their review.

Game Photos

Last edited:

Yzlamic Preacher*

We have a whole new crop of under the radar prospects.

I'm considering buying the AHL package now. That was pretty fun.

Buy hockeystreams, gives you AHL, NHL, OHL, WHL, QMJHL, and some euro games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Any highlights? or videos?

how'd my boy DeAngelo look?

IMO, not a good showing by DeAngelo at all.

Gudlevksis, on the other hand, probably impressed Cooper tonight. Another game like that and he might put himself into a real race with Emery at camp.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Any highlights? or videos?

how'd my boy DeAngelo look?

Outstanding one minute and totally stupid another. This kid is gonna get it worse than Sustr and Carle some nights and be ad revered as Vic and Anton another night. I remember him dominating the PP then taking a bad penalty a few minutes later.

Saw nothing past beginning of the 2nd. I passed out from this horrific flu I picked up overnight and woke up on and off

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Outstanding one minute and totally stupid another. This kid is gonna get it worse than Sustr and Carle some nights and be ad revered as Vic and Anton another night. I remember him dominating the PP then taking a bad penalty a few minutes later.

Saw nothing past beginning of the 2nd. I passed out from this horrific flu I picked up overnight and woke up on and off

He also had a very Carle-like turnover right in front of Wilcox. And there were at least two pinches where he just stuck around down by the net and left the covering forward hanging.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I'm going to miss tonights game since I have to get up early but I'm looking forward to looking in this thread tomorrow to see how it went. I'll also be here for the game on tuesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad