Prospect Info: Lightning host 2015 Rookie Tournament at Germain Arena

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news....ss-News&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Tampa Bay Lightning will host a four-team rookie tournament at Germain Arena in Estero, Florida from Saturday, September 12 through Tuesday, September 15, the team announced today.

Participating in the six-game tournament will be the Lightning, the Nashville Predators, the Florida Panthers and the Washington Capitals.
It marks the first time the Lightning have hosted a rookie showcase, while the team’s prospects have previously participated in rookie tournaments hosted by the Predators in Nashville, Tennessee, the Panthers in Coral Springs, Florida and the Detroit Red Wings in Traverse City, Michigan.

Very Cool. Hopefully they stream it.

ClassicMach

Apr 14, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I've been to a couple of these things in Traverse City, and unless the team is really going to up the ante from there, I wouldn't expect any streaming.

But what you will get is pretty much free access to all of the prospects for quick chats and autographs, and a good portion of the staffs. Never did get to chat with Babcock up there, but that's to be expected.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I've been to a couple of these things in Traverse City, and unless the team is really going to up the ante from there, I wouldn't expect any streaming.

But what you will get is pretty much free access to all of the prospects for quick chats and autographs, and a good portion of the staffs. Never did get to chat with Babcock up there, but that's to be expected.

We've streamed development camp and training camp scrimmages before, so I'd say it's a possibility with the lightning. Other teams like the Oilers have also streamed their prospect tournament games before, so that's nothing new either.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
It's possible, but they didn't stream almost anything last year (that wasn't required). Not because they didn't want to, but because their focus has been on spending the money elsewhere.

Who knows, looking forward to it :)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Full 23-man roster for the Prospect Tournament

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=776466

FORWARDS
name|acquired|2014-15 club
CIRELLI, Anthony|’15 Draft (3rd Rd)|Oshawa (OHL)
DARCY, Cam|’14 Draft (7th Rd)|Cape Breton, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)
DiGIACINTO, Cristiano|’14 Draft (6th Rd)|Windsor (OHL)
ERNE, Adam|’13 Draft (2nd Rd)|Quebec (OMJHL)
HART, Brian|’12 Draft (2nd Rd)|Harvard (ECAC)
IKONEN, Henri|’13 Draft (6th Rd)|Syracuse (AHL)
IMAMA, Bokondji|’15 Draft (7th Rd)|Baie-Comeau, Saint John (QMJHL)
JOSEPH, Mathieu|’15 Draft (4th Rd)|Saint John (QMJHL)
PECA, Matthew|’11 Draft (7th Rd)|Quinnipiac (ECAC)/Syracuse (AHL)
POINT, Brayden|’14 Draft (3rd Rd)|Moose Jaw (WHL)/Syracuse (AHL)
STEPHENS, Mitchell|’15 Draft (2nd Rd)|Saginaw (OHL)
VERMIN, Joel|’13 Draft (7th Rd)|Syracuse (AHL)
YAN, Dennis|’15 Draft (3rd Rd)|Shawinigan (QMJHL)

DEFENSEMEN

BLUJUS, Dylan|’12 Draft (2nd Rd)|Syracuse (AHL)
DeANGELO, Anthony|‘14 Draft (1st Rd)|Sarnia, Sault St. Marie (OHL)
DOTCHIN, Jake|’12 Draft (6th Rd)|Syracuse (AHL)
KOEKKOEK, Slater|’12 Draft (1st Rd)|Syracuse (AHL)/Tampa Bay (NHL)
MASIN, Dominik|’14 Draft (2nd Rd)|Peterborough (OHL)
SPENCER, Matt|’15 Draft (2nd Rd)|Peterborough (OHL)
THOMAS, Ben|’14 Draft (4th Rd)|Calgary (WHL)
WALCOTT, Daniel|Trade from NYR|Blainville-Boisbriand (QMJHL)/Hartford (AHL)

GOALTENDERS
GUDLEVSKIS, Kristers|‘13 Draft (5th Rd)|Syracuse (AHL)
WILCOX, Adam|’11 Draft (6th Rd)|U. of Minnesota (WCHA)/Syracuse (AHL)

Last edited:

Yzlamic Preacher*

Our Defense and Goalies looks good, forwards are pretty decent too. IMO the D and G is our deep prospects.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
DeAngelo and Koekkoek first pairing. Stuck together at the hip during practice. Vermin / Peca / Ikonen and Erne / Stephens / Point are our top 6. Masin/ Blujus loojs like second pairing. Yan / Darcy / Hart third line by looks of it. Dotchin / Spencer looks like third pairing. Cant tell about fourth line.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Imama, Digiacinto, Joseph, Cirelli, Walcott on fourth line and alternating duties in and out of drills.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Heading down to Estero on Saturday and staying through Tuesday. This should be awesome tournament - very excited to see Erne / Stephens / Point on one line ... should be entertaining. Koekkoek and DeAngelo worked extremely well together during today's practice. Koekkoek is just a beast in this kind of setting and DeAngelo's smart, heads up, pin point passing should make for an excellent combo. The third and fourth lines are a bit of a concern. Hart is just big and slow - not impressed. I predict Darcy will not be sticking around long, he is labelled as a late bloomer but after watching him nothing about his game appears to me as next level candidate. Just meh at everything he does. And Yan will have to hope the other two can keep up. The fourth line of Ciarelli, Digicianto, and one of Imama/Joseph has all the pugilism you'd want out of a fourth line...but short on talent and experience. Hopefully our defensive depth full of high rounders can keep the puck out of the net so our top 6 can capitalize on some chances. Some good talent from other teams will be on display - Fiala, Crouse, & Vrana. Should be good.

One of the things that impresses me the most is that the Lightning are fielding a team of 22 out of 23 drafted players. I think the only one participating that wasn't drafted by TBL is Walcott if I'm not mistaken as he was acquired from NYR. While a team like Washington and Florida only have 13 drafted players out of their 23 man rosters.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Heading down to Estero on Saturday and staying through Tuesday. This should be awesome tournament - very excited to see Erne / Stephens / Point on one line ... should be entertaining. Koekkoek and DeAngelo worked extremely well together during today's practice. Koekkoek is just a beast in this kind of setting and DeAngelo's smart, heads up, pin point passing should make for an excellent combo. The third and fourth lines are a bit of a concern. Hart is just big and slow - not impressed. I predict Darcy will not be sticking around long, he is labelled as a late bloomer but after watching him nothing about his game appears to me as next level candidate. Just meh at everything he does. And Yan will have to hope the other two can keep up. The fourth line of Ciarelli, Digicianto, and one of Imama/Joseph has all the pugilism you'd want out of a fourth line...but short on talent and experience. Hopefully our defensive depth full of high rounders can keep the puck out of the net so our top 6 can capitalize on some chances. Some good talent from other teams will be on display - Fiala, Crouse, & Vrana. Should be good.

One of the things that impresses me the most is that the Lightning are fielding a team of 22 out of 23 drafted players. I think the only one participating that wasn't drafted by TBL is Walcott if I'm not mistaken as he was acquired from NYR. While a team like Washington and Florida only have 13 drafted players out of their 23 man rosters.

Gotta think Koekkoek will look like a man among boys out there.

DeAngelo will be interesting to watch. If I remember correctly, last year we had him really focusing on D. The same was true in the WJC, where he proved he can be an adequate defender when he really wants to be. I'm interested to see if he'll return with that mindset or if he'll showcase the flare that got him to this point. Anyone remember the televised SSM game last year where he simply took over? 5 points.

The goaltending situation is another thing we should keep our eye on, IMO. If I remember correctly, there were some REALLY glowing reports on Wilcox at the developmental camp. You have to think these guys are going to start trying to make a case for the backup job right here. (Not saying that Wilcox has a realistic shot at that, but it has to be in the back of his mind, and we haven't exactly been shy about giving the nod to guys who prove themselves in camp in recent years.)

I think Adam Erne might have a similar mindset. With the Eric Condra signing, it looks like all TB spots are full, but he strikes me as the type of kid who's going to try to make management second-guess that decision. Something close to a goal-per-game in last year's playoffs. Even in the CHL, that's crazy impressive for a physical forward.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Erne worked out with the main guys the last few days. Erne's comment: "He wants to do everything possible to prove he should play in the NHL, so it is a good start to work out with the big Boys"

It was a Joe Smith thread a few days ago.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Any word that he will really be here?

He wasn't here yesterday. Only Gudlevskis and Wilcox participated on the goalie side. I'm heading there again today for the morning practice so I'll update if I see him.

The other player that didn't skate was Ben Thomas (4th Rd Pick). He came out and skated a few laps and spoke with Stacy Roest (one of the assistant coaches - part of Zettler's coaching staff). Apparently Stacy was telling Thomas to move foot up and down and side to side. Then after a few minutes just told Thomas to put some ice on it. Didn't see Thomas again after that. We'll see if he suits up today for practice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He wasn't here yesterday. Only Gudlevskis and Wilcox participated on the goalie side. I'm heading there again today for the morning practice so I'll update if I see him.

The other player that didn't skate was Ben Thomas (4th Rd Pick). He came out and skated a few laps and spoke with Stacy Roest (one of the assistant coaches - part of Zettler's coaching staff). Apparently Stacy was telling Thomas to move foot up and down and side to side. Then after a few minutes just told Thomas to put some ice on it. Didn't see Thomas again after that. We'll see if he suits up today for practice.

Probably nothing too serious if he tested it on skates.

Roest, for anyone interested, is a former Red Wing in the mold of Tyler Johnson, but not nearly so successful. (He did crush the AHL a bit.) Sometimes when I look at the Lightning staff, it almost feels like Yzerman was keeping notes on former teammates.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Any word that he will really be here?

I don't know whatever happened with this, but I wouldn't expect him to be there now. His name was left off the roster list when it first came out in early August and Zettler has already spoke on how Gudlevskis and Wilcox will split playing time for this tournament.

Only thing I see on twitter is

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So psyched for this. Can't believe we're finally streaming it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Looks like Koekkoek is out tonight:

Bolt Prospects
‏@BoltProspects
Gudlevskis starting for #tblightning. #syrcrunch flavor to top line. No Koekkoek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad