GDT: LIGHTNING @ EYE OF THE STORM

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Aho doesn't seem to be mentally up to game speed yet. He's usually one step ahead of the play and anticipating really well. Right now he's at best with the play or a little behind which leads to some sloppyness or losing pick battles he wouldn't need to have.

I'd give him 5 more games to read things better then the points will pour in. He may also get easier matchups some nights if the Haula line continues its solid play.

Reactions: bleedgreen

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
See I thought it was a great album.

514T9a42ilL_150x150.jpg

Well... THEY ARE MADE OF THESE. AND EVERYBODY IS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING.

AND NO, THAT FIRST WORD ISN’T A TYPO.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They’re working the triangles, they always exist on the pp. If you take one away another opens up if you’re working the passing lanes. It’s good when teams start overplaying lanes on you, and you’ve got a pp that isn’t dependent on one person.
Yeah, I get that, but so far the biggest thing (imo) that has opened things up is that quick, cross ice pass between svechnikov and TT. It makes the pkers have to move a longer distance to cover, thus making even bigger lanes. Teams will strive to take that away, and in theory, that should open up other lanes, but I want to see how the Canes handle that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah, I get that, but so far the biggest thing (imo) that has opened things up is that quick, cross ice pass between svechnikov and TT. It makes the pkers have to move a longer distance to cover, thus making even bigger lanes. Teams will strive to take that away, and in theory, that should open up other lanes, but I want to see how the Canes handle that.
I give TT some crap, but I have faith that he loves nothing more than a geometry problem unfolding before him that gives him an opportunity to throw saucer passes in fun and exciting angles that give coaches grey hair and often actually work. He’ll figure it out.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
I think it was somebody in the main boards who called Aho lazy after one of these games. Something about him quitting after getting his paycheck. Everybody here knows Sebastian is anything but lazy and most likely will have even better season despite being currently highest paid Finn in the NHL.

I think RBA tried the Crosby approach with Sebastian, giving him Nino and a plug (McGinn) and loading the second unit of Staal/Svech/TT. Since it didn't work he quickly reacted and united Nino/Aho/TT in even strength. I have no doubt he will start scoring now that he's again united with Teuvo. And despite not being in the scoresheet he has looked good and had breakaways, goalposts etc.

You know your team is doing good when the biggest problem is that Sebastian Aho is not scoring.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
And is it a good omen or somekind, that while the team has so many Finns. Little info that Finns won their first Icehockey world of championship in 1995! Can't be a coinsidence. We're going long with the Canes! :)
What about 1989?

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Because we're done with this thread now, I want to grace all of you with my favorite mashup with Seven Nation Army:

YEAH BOYEEEE!

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
practical Germanic to Finnish

Schadenfreude = vahingonilo [pure joy of someone's misfortune]
? = myotahapea [co-shame for something particularly embarrassing you witnessed]
Underhill = maenalainen
Underground = maanalainen
Sabres fan = menneen talven lumia
Habs fan = herkkusieni
Bruins fan = vihollinen; vanha vainooja; perivihollinen [fut.]
Meadow = aho
Sharp = terava
Mrazek = maalivahti
Tampa = Tampere
win gaem = voittakaa se peli vittu saatana perkele

@MrazeksVengeance what are these in your barbaric tongue?

[too late for #3 I see]

A NOTE.

DON’T THINK I DIDN’T NOTICE THAT YOU HAVE SAID BARBARIC.

I JUST TOOK IT AS A COMPLIMENT.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We are 3-0-0 on the season against Tampa, Washington, and Montreal and I'm finding it amusing that some are finding ways to moan about their play.

Well yeah we shouldn't be surprised that those teams shut down and frustrated our top lines. I mean 2 of the 3 are only on the short list of bonafide cup contenders both having won their division last year. The fact that we still won them all and did do by exploiting our forward depth and flexing our defensive muscles is a great omen for this season. If we get into a playoff series against these teams we'll need to win like we did last week.

If anything, this is showing the league that, hey we really are that good. Better realize it soon.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We are 3-0-0 on the season against Tampa, Washington, and Montreal and I'm finding it amusing that some are finding ways to moan about their play.
But man! Our RW tiebreaker is a round 0! If it gets tight in points with any of these teams in the end, it means they have won games too, and likely on the regular which means their RW is better! This is the worst result we might've got!

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
This just reminds me of the 05-06 team. Early that season they were the first team ever to win four consecutive games that they trailed by two goals. That wasn't seen as a negative and nothing thats happened thus far should be either.

LET’S ENJOY OURSELVES, BUT WE SHOULD REMAIN PATIENT. ROAD AHEAD IS LONG AND ARDUOUS.

Last edited:

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Complete Hockey News in Facebook is keeping tabs on some additional stats. Pesce is currently leading the league in blocked shots. Aho is tied for the lead in takeaways with Getzlaf. Haula and Svech doing fine in goals and assists respectively.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Slavin adapting to fatherhood, increased responsibility with Hurricanes
RALEIGH, N.C. --

Someday, Jaccob and Kylie will share with Emersyn the exciting story of her birth. The Slavins had been on the adoption waiting list for about a year when Emersyn was born on April 12, the day after Slavin and the Hurricanes played Game 1 of the Eastern Conference First Round against the Washington Capitals at Capital One Arena in Washington.
That was Carolina's first postseason game since 2009, and the first of Slavin's NHL career in his fourth season. Slavin played 25:00 in a 4-2 loss in Game 1, but he had no time to dwell on it.
With an assist from Hurricanes center Jordan Staal, who loaned him some hours he owned on a private jet, Slavin flew back to North Carolina and was at the hospital the following day when Emersyn was born. Slavin also took Carolina owner Tom Dundon up on his offer to use his private jet during the playoffs to help him spend more time with Emersyn without missing any games.
"I did a lot of traveling back and forth in between Washington and where she was born: in DC, where she was born, back to DC, back to home," Slavin said. "She was born during an exciting time. I remember my wife saying, 'Out of all the years the Canes make it back to the playoffs, it has to be this year right when our daughter is being born.'"
Slavin adapting to fatherhood, increased responsibility with Hurricanes

Reactions: Tryamw

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Joel Edmundson

I admit to having him pegged as a serviceable #4/#5 who could fill that role but ideally was pushed down the depth chart. Through three games, I think I underestimated him. What I like most about his play is that he has the same type of ‘leaning forward on his toes’ style as Slavin and Pesce in that his natural tendency is to step up and engage the puck whenever possible That will occasionally get you beat, but in today’s NHL I think taking away time and space is critical. And though he will not likely morph into a scoring defenseman, he is capable receiving and moving the puck. Edmundson very much makes the Hurricanes at least 5 1/2 players deep in terms of top 4 defenseman. That provides depth in case of an injury or a player slumping a bit. It should also go a long way toward balancing ice time to keep players fresh.
Raving about the Carolina Hurricanes’ blue line | Canes & Coffee

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Special teams a plus

If Brind’Amour had a boondoggle in his first year as a head coach, it was the power play. It had its moments -- some good, some very bad.
But Brind’Amour might have found a unit that can click: Hamilton, Haula, Teuvo Teravainen, Andrei Svechnikov and Ryan Dzingel. It produced two power-play goals against Tampa Bay, Haula punching in the rebound of a Hamilton shot and then Hamilton — named the game’s first star — ripping one from just inside the blue line. Haula also scored against the Caps off a Teravainen pass.
The Canes’ other power-play unit has Gardiner, Sebastian Aho, Nino Niederreiter, Jordan Staal and Martin Necas. It hasn’t been as threatening. For now, it’s the second unit.
“We feel we have two equal groups,” Brind’Amour said. “We’ll definitely need both groups going, I know, and we’ll probably tinker as we go along. But it’s nice to see it working right now.”

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports...canes-now/article235875672.html#storylink=cpy

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Game is on again on NHL network.

Maybe we win again? I’ll watch and let you know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad