Post-Game Talk: Lightning doesn't strike twice. Habs win

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Isn't that the whole point of leadership being an intangible. You cant quantify it in a number. This team could have prime Mark Messier leadership and they would still be terrible. Would you argue that the guy they named a leadership award after is a poor leader? Do you want the poster to look into an alternate timeline where the team without Josh Anderson is better or worse?
I agree with the idea of having players who could be a core in the leadership department, players like what was Messier for example. Anderson and Xhekaj are two I'm thinking of. Savard too. That why I don't want Anderson to be traded. Unless the return is really an improvement but I doubt it could happen. That's why I want we have PLD for his size, leadership, skills and chemistry with Anderson. Habs still have too much undersized players who doesn't go far in play-offs.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Great game by Montembeault (not the first time I've said that this year)!! Nice for Drouin to respond the way he did with a good goal and a strong game. I even saw Chris Wideman make a strong defensive play (which was obviously incredibly surprising so I had to double check that he's still #6). Rem Pitlick looked a bit lost at times though.

Oh well. Good win! Hope Anderson is ok.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
The point is Anderson’s leadership could be top notch but the net impact is clearly minuscule. It’s overstated. It’s boring. It’s a crutch.

My theory is that intangibles have a TINY effect. The Habs could’ve lost in the first round and that would’ve been that. They’re leadership didn’t win us those games but it might’ve helped I still the fight in players to claw more. But the clawing, the ability to get something from the clawing, and the ability to leverage that into success comes more from talent and skill than intangibles.

Carey Price took us to the Cup Finals and as soon as he faltered the team fell apart.
You have no idea what the impact is. Only the people in that room do. Leadership could be the difference between a young guy wilting in Montreal and leaving to become a good player elsewhere. Using winning as some measurable is ridiculous for leadership. Leadership shows up the most in the tough times.

Edit: I agree with the premise of the second paragraph but I think it was more than a tiny effect. If Price comes out in that interview after game 4 and says something other than "I believe in these guys ability to score" do you think they have any chance to come back in that series. They believed in Price but Price reciprocated that belief, whether it was true or not and the rest is history.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and Tyson

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
You have no idea what the impact is. Only the people in that room do. Leadership could be the difference between a young guy wilting in Montreal and leaving to become a good player elsewhere. Using winning as some measurable is ridiculous for leadership. Leadership shows up the most in the tough times.

Edit: I agree with the premise of the second paragraph but I think it was more than a tiny effect. If Price comes out in that interview after game 4 and says something other than "I believe in these guys ability to score" do you think they have any chance to come back in that series. They believed in Price but Price reciprocated that belief, whether it was true or not and the rest is history.
I’ve been following the NHL obsessively for over 25 years and if you put a gun to my head I wouldn’t be able to define intangibles.

“Leadership shows up in the most tough times”

I don’t think you have a good definition either.

I don’t think it doesn’t exist but whatever it is, it’s impact is TINY. How many 5+ game losing streaks did the Habs suffer with Gallagher, Weber, and/or Price in the lineup? Far too many. Were they bad leaders? Either yes or no and their leadership impact is next to irrelevant to results and performances.

I’m simply tired of hearing about leadership and intangibles when in reality people just want to say they like the vibes a player gives off. So just say that! Weber had good vibes, strong vibes, the type you naturally want to associate with. He’s a born leader type. They’re pleasant to be around, every lockerroom should have them. Anderson might have a similar vibe, or might not, but it’s really nothing worth talking about every god damn time his name is brought up.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Claims yes. Evidence of success? Hardly any. Unless you count Price and Weber’s success when carried by Sidney Crosby with Team Canada :sarcasm:

Weber's leadership skills:

1679506810816.png

:sarcasm:

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Harper couldn't fight and he couldn't shoot but his team mates loved him.
I was gifted an old book full of glorious colored photos of the NHL 1967-71 when I was a kid, one of the best pictures was of Terry, nose bloodied sweater covered and the Forum ice a wonderful mix of crimson and white! Man those old photographers new how to capture the greatest sport ever invented!!!!!

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I was gifted an old book full of glorious colored photos of the NHL 1967-71 when I was a kid, one of the best pictures was of Terry, nose bloodied sweater covered and the Forum ice a wonderful mix of crimson and white! Man those old photographers new how to capture the greatest sport ever invented!!!!!
Harper had a long reach stick. Nobody was able to control the puck 15 feet around him. He would just poke check the puck and then run for the lose puck in the corner. He lost all his fights but he kept fighting again and again. A good warrior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad