Claimed off Waivers: Lightning claim Danick Martel

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Not sure on the TB depth and their waiver status, but he is a guy that Tampa can start in the NHL, see how he plays while other younger kids get a bit more seasoning in the AHL. And if he doesn't show anything, no biggie you waive him. But if he does play well, free asset.
Exactly plus erne hasn't shown any thing great yet plus paquette is injured every other week. Martel should fit right in with a relentless forecheck aka gourde 2.0

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Weird

Usually everyone has plenty of waiver material on their own

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Since it was not posted yet:

Certainly seems like they are going to give him a legit chance.

Pretty much what I said. This happens all the time in the NHL and NFL where you have waivers and "practice squads". You know you liked a guy in his draft year, he becomes available for free.... check him out and see what you think up close.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Maybe Tampa is hoping he's the next Marchessault and Gourde since they aren't gonns be able to pay Gourde if he repeats.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
It will be interesting as to where he plays. Did he play the penalty kill in Allentown? What about on defense? I see he was double digits plus in his last 2 minor league seasons in Allentown, and appears disciplined. I suspect 3rd of 4th line and plenty of PK minutes.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Quite a peculiar claim in my opinion as a flyers fan. Mattel has shown continuous improvement but still entered training camp as a long shot to make the Flyers. I would have pegged him even further down the Bolts depth chart.

Adam Erne should be the most disappointed person by this claim.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I swear thats what I was thinking. Was that a thinly veiled shot at Philly from BriseBois? Like that the new GM is throwing shots already.
Naw, I just think TB gives guys like him way more leash than other teams do. Just like some teams are still stuck in the "top 6" "bottom 6" mentality and others use talented players deep into the lineup.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Martel now has in tampa what we weren't sure he'd get in philly a legit shot at the nhl. He doesn't have draft pedigree to be put high in the lineup and isn't the defensive stalwart you think of in a traditional bottom 6 role but he has elite speed and an nhl shot. Interested to see if the lightning have an nhl player on thier hands. Best of luck

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
The guy is a hell of a ball hockey player too.
Fast, has good hands and a good shot.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Adam Erne should be the most disappointed person by this claim.

I don’t think so. Unless we go with eight defensemen to start the season again (which looks unlikely at this point) we’ve got three forward spots open: Kunitz’s, Callahan’s (until he returns), and the 14th forward (Conacher’s spot could also be open to competition but his ability to play center combined with Paquette’s injury history makes it less likely he gets replaced by either Erne or Martel.) Erne’s played well this preseason, has shown some of the offensive potential we’ve been wanting to see more of from him, and brings a physicality that we lack - if he keeps it up I think his spot is secure and Martel if he makes the team will fill one of the others.

NBflyerfan

Dec 30, 2014
Lines starting to take form at Flyers camp

"* The Tampa Bay Lightning claimed winger Danick Martel off waivers from the Flyers on Saturday. Under NHL rules, the Lightning are now obligated to keep Martel on their NHL roster to open the season. He must spend 30 days or appear in 10 NHL games -- whichever comes sooner -- before he is eligible to be re-waived and assigned to the AHL if he clears. The clock starts ticking on Oct 3."

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

"* The Tampa Bay Lightning claimed winger Danick Martel off waivers from the Flyers on Saturday. Under NHL rules, the Lightning are now obligated to keep Martel on their NHL roster to open the season. He must spend 30 days or appear in 10 NHL games -- whichever comes sooner -- before he is eligible to be re-waived and assigned to the AHL if he clears. The clock starts ticking on Oct 3."

Interesting. Assuming this is accurate it means that Martel definitely has one of the three open forward spots; Erne is in good shape to claim another. Barring unforeseen circumstances that would leave one roster spot for the rest of our prospects to battle over. And since it makes no sense to bring up a prospect to be our 14th forward, that likely means that unless someone can beat out Erne, Martel, or Paquette for a starting spot on our fourth line Andreoff will probably make the opening day roster as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Interesting. Assuming this is accurate it means that Martel definitely has one of the three open forward spots; Erne is in good shape to claim another. Barring unforeseen circumstances that would leave one roster spot for the rest of our prospects to battle over. And since it makes no sense to bring up a prospect to be our 14th forward, that likely means that unless someone can beat out Erne, Martel, or Paquette for a starting spot on our fourth line Andreoff will probably make the opening day roster as well.

I think it means one if not both Joseph and Volkov make the team. One of them, Paquette and either Erne or the other on the 4th line. Martel sits in the pressbox instead of either kid. Martel is also insurance because I see us sending Conacher down and if he gets claimed Martel takes that role as 13th forward/AHL call up.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think it means one if not both Joseph and Volkov make the team. One of them, Paquette and either Erne or the other on the 4th line. Martel sits in the pressbox instead of either kid. Martel is also insurance because I see us sending Conacher down and if he gets claimed Martel takes that role as 13th forward/AHL call up.

That’s pretty much my take as well. If Joseph and/or Volkov makes the team it will be as a starter - we’ll put Erne, Martel, and/or Andreoff in the press box if necessary but it makes no sense to bring up either of those two to sit when they could be playing big minutes in Syracuse. I wouldn’t mind seeing Joseph start on the fourth line; I’m torn on Volkov as I really want him on the team but I also want us to groom him for a more offensively oriented role next season when at least one and possibly more of our top nine will be gone.

As far as Conacher is concerned the only argument for keeping him is that his ability to play center gives us the option of keeping Johnson and Gourde where they are when Paquette inevitably goes down. That said he hasn’t been very impressive outside of small spurts and I’m all in favor of replacing him.

One possibility that hasn’t really been discussed is that of moving Johnson or Gourde to 3C (with the other at 2RW) and pushing Cirelli to 4C and Paquette to the press box. That would give us greater strength down the middle, provide more scoring from our fourth line, keep Paquette fresh for the playoffs, eliminate any need for Conacher, and open a spot in our top nine for Volkov. Maybe something like this:

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Gourde-Volkov
Erne-Cirelli-Joseph

With Martel rotating in on the fourth line so that by the time Callahan comes back we’ll know which wing is the odd man out; Paquette would be available in case of injury and could also be inserted on the wing if we want a more defensive fourth line.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

That's not correct.

The "must be on their NHL roster to open the season" might be. I'm not sure if preseason waiver dictates that. I don't think it does, but it might be a special clause.

But the 30 days thing is otherwise untrue. They can waive him at any point. They don't have to wait.
The only stipulation of "30 days" wrt to waivers is if the player clears then the team has 30 days on NHL roster (or 10 games) to send him up and down as they please without needing waivers.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's not correct.

The "must be on their NHL roster to open the season" might be. I'm not sure if preseason waiver dictates that. I don't think it does, but it might be a special clause.

But the 30 days thing is otherwise untrue. They can waive him at any point. They don't have to wait.
The only stipulation of "30 days" wrt to waivers is if the player clears then the team has 30 days on NHL roster (or 10 games) to send him up and down as they please without needing waivers.

Yeah. Kinda surprising a sanctioned media article like this could be so inaccurate.

Reactions: uncleben

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
That's not correct.

I'm pretty sure rewaivers is still a thing. If the intention isn't to put a player on your nhl team he isn't worth claiming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad