Claimed off Waivers: Lightning claim Danick Martel

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
That's wrong. Order of priority is last regular season's standings. PHI doesn't get any preferential treatment.
I'm pretty sure there's a rule that if a team that claims a player from waivers, decides to waive the said player again within a certain time after being claimed (30 days), the team that previously waived him gets first dibs

Reactions: ChuckWoods

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I'm pretty sure there's a rule that if a team that claims a player from waivers, decides to waive the said player again within a certain time after being claimed (30 days), the team that previously waived him gets first dibs

There is no such rule in the CBA.

Reactions: Kipper933

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He can certainly be Nhler, just needs to be put in position to succeed. Kinda similar to Jordan Weal when he was back with Kings.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
There is no such rule in the CBA.

I'm pretty sure Deadpool8812 is right unless they changed the rules. See DiDomenico last year.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I'm pretty sure Deadpool8812 is right unless they changed the rules. See DiDomenico last year.

Sens were the only team to place a claim on him once TB waived him again 8 days after claiming him, which like i said means that the Sens are now able to send him to the minors directly

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't be shocked if we waive him again either way. It'd be pretty weird to give him a for-certain spot on our roster when it seems we have a lot of guys vying for a couple of empty slots.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
How do you propose you get him "down there"?
I mean sometimes a team claims a player and waives them a few days later and no one (including the original team he was taken from) claims him the 2nd time around. It’s definitelty a possibility here and then TB is free to send him to their ahl affiliate

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
IMO this is a move we made simply because we could. LW is one of our deepest positions and everyone knows we aren’t short of speedy midgets on the team; with Kunitz gone and Callahan injured we do have two spots on the bottom line available to start the season but Erne looks to be claiming one of them and we’ve no shortage of players in the organization who could adequately fill the other. So Martel doesn’t really fill a need for us.

But Dotchin’s waiver frees up a roster spot, and with neither Cernak nor Foote playing at a level that would force us to keep them up we’re likely to stick to the plan of starting them in Syracuse and bringing one or both of them up for some experience later in the season or as injuries occur. At the same time it makes no sense to promote a forward from Syracuse for the purpose of having him sit in the press box as our 14th forward, nor do we ideally want one of our prospects with legitimate offensive potential to be playing a handful of grinding minutes on an NHL fourth line rather than substantial minutes on an AHL scoring line.

So Martel is just us taking a flyer on somebody who at worst can push the other guys in camp and (if we keep him) temporarily fill either a fourth line or a press box spot without requiring us to use one of our existing prospects in that role. If he becomes more than that then so much the better.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I mean sometimes a team claims a player and waives them a few days later and the original team and no one else claims the guy. It’s definitelty a possibility here
It's a possibility. But teams don't make waiver claims with the idea of bolstering their minor league teams. It's like NFL teams signing guys off other team's practice squads and bringing them in, only to cut them a couple days later.

The point of claiming him (which does cost $... not a lot but there is a claim fee) is to bring a guy in that maybe you were high on when he was drafted and you want to get a good look at him. You are hoping he makes the team. You aren't hoping he isn't good enough but that he will help your AHL team, because you can't count on him ever playing on your AHL team.

The post I was responding to was starting with the premise that TB was going to be filling some NHL roster spots with rookies from their AHL team, thus they claimed this guy to replace those guys in the AHL. If that was their goal there are other ways to do that.

Reactions: CrypTic

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Tampa is really good at identifying good undersized players. Also good Quebecois players. Clearly they'd still take shots like that with Brisebois in charge.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
IMO this is a move we made simply because we could. LW is one of our deepest positions and everyone knows we aren’t short of speedy midgets on the team; with Kunitz gone and Callahan injured we do have two spots on the bottom line available to start the season but Erne looks to be claiming one of them and we’ve no shortage of players in the organization who could adequately fill the other. So Martel doesn’t really fill a need for us.

But Dotchin’s waiver frees up a roster spot, and with neither Cernak nor Foote playing at a level that would force us to keep them up we’re likely to stick to the plan of starting them in Syracuse and bringing one or both of them up for some experience later in the season or as injuries occur. At the same time it makes no sense to promote a forward from Syracuse for the purpose of having him sit in the press box as our 14th forward, nor do we ideally want one of our prospects with legitimate offensive potential to be playing a handful of grinding minutes on an NHL fourth line rather than substantial minutes on an AHL scoring line.

So Martel is just us taking a flyer on somebody who at worst can push the other guys in camp and (if we keep him) temporarily fill either a fourth line or a press box spot without requiring us to use one of our existing prospects in that role. If he becomes more than that then so much the better.

Cernak looked pretty good last night.

I don't think this means we have a roster spot ready and waiting for a guy who's played only 4 NHL games, and hasn't really outproduced our own guys at the AHL level. I agree that this is a flyer, but I think it winds up with us waiving him by the end of camp, unless he legitimately wins a spot.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Makes sense to me. The organization doesn't like calling up young players for extended periods of time if they have to send them back. When Callahan comes back, a guy like Volkov is going to have to be sent back down. On the other hand, a fringe NHL/AHL guy is easy to forget about.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
GMJB has a knack for finding talent aka marchy and gourde..I have 100% faith in his eye for talent that may be over looked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
GMJB has a knack for finding talent aka marchy and gourde..I have a 100% faith in his eye for talent that may be over looked.
Not sure on the TB depth and their waiver status, but he is a guy that Tampa can start in the NHL, see how he plays while other younger kids get a bit more seasoning in the AHL. And if he doesn't show anything, no biggie you waive him. But if he does play well, free asset.

Reactions: AndreRoy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad