Pre-Game Talk: Lightning at Rangers - 11/17/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
Cally accepted less money and 6 years the way he plays was questionable. Its hard to say if he did the right thing or not but who could complain about playing with Stamkos. Cally plays so hard all the time but doesnt have another level in the playoffs.

Boyle despite saying the most important thing to him was an elevated role and more playing time in important situations is playing the same role in TB. He got a fair contract but I think he is being a little disingenuous trying to now lay the majority of the blame on the Rangers.

Stralman is the one I always wanted to stay and still am not sure why they didn't pursue harder. I guess it was a decision on whether to sign him or be able to make an offer to Staal after this season.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Cally accepted less money and 6 years the way he plays was questionable. Its hard to say if he did the right thing or not but who could complain about playing with Stamkos. Cally plays so hard all the time but doesnt have another level in the playoffs.

Boyle despite saying the most important thing to him was an elevated role and more playing time in important situations is playing the same role in TB. He got a fair contract but I think he is being a little disingenuous trying to now lay the majority of the blame on the Rangers.

Stralman is the one I always wanted to stay and still am not sure why they didn't pursue harder. I guess it was a decision on whether to sign him or be able to make an offer to Staal after this season.

The Rangers gave Tanner Glass 1.5M per for 3 years and wouldn't give Boyle 2M per for 3 years. Thats ridiculous and almost squarely on them.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
The Rangers gave Tanner Glass 1.5M per for 3 years and wouldn't give Boyle 2M per for 3 years. Thats ridiculous and almost squarely on them.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Boyle isn't getting much more in Tampa regarding a role AFAIK, so the blame lies with Sather/AV. Much easier to blame them for Boyle than it is for Stralman.

AHB*

I know it's impossible to know the truth of what went down with negotiations, but the things Boyle and Stralman hint at in that article are kind of disturbing if true.

That article is extremely concerning if that's how things really went down. If we didn't want to re-sign them, that's fine (as much as I disagree with it) but not doing it in a respectful manner is disgusting and leaves a bad taste in players mouths.

These are people and they want to be treated right. They gave a lot to this team and at the very least should have been contacted and thanked for their contribution and told we were going in a different direction.

That's poor management and could pose issues with FA's in the future. Word of mouth is a huge thing in the NHL.

I sure hope they do some sort of video tonight.

AHB*

Eddie was/is regarded higher than Callahan will, or was though...

I agree, but he was using that as an example that there can be extenuating circumstances where the player is held in higher regard than the team.

If Lundqvist was cut loose, I'd have quite a problem with that.

I was also extremely bothered by how Leetch was handled when he was traded. It's something I'll never forgive Sather for.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Oh dude same. If Hank was cut loose I'd be depressed and hate Sather. And Leetch being dealt was awful.

I see the point I just think the circumstance is just a bit different, I guess.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Let's not forget, Boyle's wife is from an area that is close to Tampa. That played a huge role in him signing there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

There was certainly talk prior to July 1st about Boyle wanting a bigger role, so who's to say he was going to take $2M to skate on the 4th line in NY and kill penalties? Seems like AV was up front with him about that and Boyle went looking for options. Plus, I'm sure his wife being from the area played a pretty big role in him calling to inquire about Tampa Bay with Callahan.

Everyone likes to think we picked Glass over Boyle, but I don't think that's based in reality.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
In addition, there's the fact that there's no state income tax in Florida, artificially lowering players' cap hits.

Do people actually think Boyle, Callahan, and Stralman all took less than they were worth to play together?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
rip discussion not regarding former Rangers.

This would be another good test the team win. Tampa has the best healthy roster in the East imo. They have to get up for these games. I fully expect some fireworks between old friends.

MSL will get at least one. lgr

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
@AGrossRecord: Duke working on third line with Hayes and Hagelin. Stempniak with DMoore and Glass.”

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I like Stemp on the 4th line and Duclair on the 3rd line.

Now get rid of Glass and put Fast there and I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad