News Article: Lightning and Leafs try to Circumvent Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Yep, had to be their first rounder. No way the Leafs do this for anything else. Damn this would have been nice...why does the league always take a stand when it's the Leafs getting involved. F!

Aside from a 4th round pick surrendered to Frogren; when has the league taken a stand directly against the Leafs in other situations?

You said they "always take a stand"; at least back up your statements.

leafspring*

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426385

There is this thing about elevating interest in the league and the game that goes with speculating anything involving the leafs. Daley sending a memo regarding cap circumvention is most likely not as a result of a whisper of a trade to that effect.The whisper of the memo is the likely cause of the NewYorkPost article coming out by this rumour mongering twit reporter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So wait...

Why would they close the door on this? If you ask me it is smart tactics and a well executed game plan from both sides.

If I'm the leafs I say.. "Look, us.. Along with the rangers and Habs practically pay the bottom feeders like TB and FLA already. The fact that you won't let this process is utterly embarrassing and realistically the NHL would be shooting itself in the foot the day TB goes bankrupt."

And the leafs say "told you so."

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Aside from a 4th round pick surrendered to Frogren; when has the league taken a stand directly against the Leafs in other situations?

You said they "always take a stand"; at least back up your statements.

I thought they took a pick away from us for the Sedin "tampering", but I was wrong. You caught me, well done.

leafspring*

All this over a stinkin Larry Brooks fabrication with no substance lol. Larry Brooks is a weasil. the mayor ford video idea is something this clown could contrive. seeya i'm done here.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Nonis hasn't spoken to T-BAY about vinny so this is all B.S. The fact that Lecavalier has a NMC seems to be a pretty important ingredient in this whole scenario that is being neglected to be mentioned.

Do you even understand how the deal would have happened? Lecavalier comes to Toronto with an asset. The money remaining on his contract is $45M, so the Leafs buyout for $30M. Lightning immediately turn around and re-signs Lecavalier - example 6 years for $25M. So Lecavalier ends up with an extra $10M ($30M + 25M = $55M,) and his cap hit goes from 7.7M to (example) 4.2M

Bottom line, in exchange for being a Leaf on paper for a couple days, Lecavalier gets an extra $10M over the remainder of his career. Oh yeah, and his cap hit is a lot lower, making it easier for the team he obviously loves playing for to improve.

But as you say...

Lecavalier coming out and saying he will waive his NMC would be as likely as finding a snowball in hell.

Great point. Well thought out.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
He would have been talking to Lightning management not Lecavalier.

Yeah but it's against the rules to name another player who's under contract as a GM. That's why every time Burke was asked about Luongo he would reply with; "I'm not going to comment on another teams player who's under contract" If i understand that correctly, I highly doubt Nonis came right out and said we havn't talked about vinny.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
All this over a stinkin Larry Brooks fabrication with no substance lol. Larry Brooks is a weasil. the mayor ford video idea is something this clown could contrive. seeya i'm done here.

Given that the rumor of the Leafs-Lightning deal has been around for at least a week or so without any previous connection to Brooks, I don't think the deal was a Brooks's fabrication. Instead, I suspect he simply bought into the rumor. In fact, while there may have been no discussions between the Leafs and Lightning on this matter, it may have been the existence of the rumor that prompted the NHL to state their opinion on such a deal.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yeah but it's against the rules to name another player who's under contract as a GM. That's why every time Burke was asked about Luongo he would reply with; "I'm not going to comment on another teams player who's under contract" If i understand that correctly, I highly doubt Nonis came right out and said we havn't talked about vinny.

I believe you're allowed to say that you haven't talked about a player.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'm not convinced that Lightning were ever going to give up an anything that would make spending 30 million dollars seem reasonable to acquire.

It wouldn't affect the cap and Bell and Rogers can easily afford it so who cares?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The New York Post isn't exactly a paragon of journalistic integrity so anything they publish has to be taken with a big grain of salt.

The Korean*

Bettman will nix this trade, a la David Stern.

Hockey reason.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
God what is Nonis doing... Letang would be great but the Bernier deal was stupid and now Lecavalier? Why? What is the purpose? He isn't a 1C, he's a 2C at best with great leadership qualities.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
So they can't do this, but if TB still wants Vinny, then how much are they okay paying him? If they trade us Vinny for a 7th, then we trade them Vinny for their first, but we retain 50% of Vinny's deal, obviously that's worse for us 'cause it's basically spending elite UFA money on the pick for his ELC and RFA years (his salary plus 3.5ish in cap hit for the next 7 years).

Would this be circumvention and would you do it? It's certainly worse for the Leafs than the first deal, but getting that high a pick for no talent would be hard to turn down.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It wouldn't affect the cap and Bell and Rogers can easily afford it so who cares?

What you are acquiring has to be worth spending that kind of money, even when you have lots of money, most don't like throwing it away. If its it's the #3 pick overall, then sure, but I don't think TB would move it. If I owned the team, I wouldn't spend $30 million to acquire marginal assets while helping a division rival with their roster problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad