News Article: Lightning and Leafs try to Circumvent Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Thunder:laugh::laugh::laugh:The league totally screwed the Leafs when they closed that loophole. It's possible we were the only team they closed that on

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I'm not convinced that Lightning were ever going to give up an anything that would make spending 30 million dollars seem reasonable to acquire.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Pure speculation.

Tampa would know they can't resign him and would be half crazy to trade a top 3 pick this year.

Did you hear the leafs almost got Edmonton's pick but MacT wanted Franson and not Gunner, phew, so close!

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not convinced that Lightning were ever going to give up an anything that would make spending 30 million dollars seem reasonable to acquire.

But as fans, money they spend means nothing. I wouldn't mind getting him and play him for a year. Buy him out next summer. I think we're well below the cap next year.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
But as fans, money they spend means nothing. I wouldn't mind getting him and play him for a year. Buy him out next summer. I think we're well below the cap next year.

That was not an option.

The idea here was to trade for him, buy him out, and then he'd sign back in Tampa for a more reasonable cap hit. We'd get a solid pick or prospect in return for dishing out $30-some million and burning one of our buy-outs.

Tampa has no intention of letting go Lecavalier. They have made that much clear, time and time again. This deal only worked (guess it doesn't work, given that the league is frowning on it) because it involved Lecavalier signing back in Tampa after being bought out. He was not going to play here under any circumstances.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
What if Vinny actually played a year and then the Leafs bought him out?

I know he isn't the answer by any means, but he would be a good replacement for a year even with the intention of buying him out next year.

I'm not sure what that does for a player, but I would assume it would be like any 1 year deal and then deciding not to come back.

The Leafs are still able to buy out players next year and it not count against the cap, so its always a possibility.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Tampa would know they can't resign him and would be half crazy to trade a top 3 pick this year.

Did you hear the leafs almost got Edmonton's pick but MacT wanted Franson and not Gunner, phew, so close!

Heh probably not so close then. I can't see Nonis being interested in any way shape or form in trading Franson for futures.

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie
Whoever wrote that article has no clue about the value of top draft picks. Does anyone here actually believe Tampa was going to give us one of Mackinnon, Drouin, or Jones with nothing, but cash headed the other way?

I know Tampa's ownership is cheap, but they aren't dumb enough to give up a potential franchise talent to save a little over 2M a year for 14 years. That would be a historically bad trade and would never occur in the real world.

What is even more insane is that in the poll 1800+ people or 51% would not want the 3rd overall pick with just cash headed the other way. It is just money not cap space and MLSE has plenty. I'd be fine with 200M going to Tampa if we could have the 3rd overall pick, no negatives from a cap standpoint and it isn't my money.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

Still some fun to speculate whether Bell/Rogers would sign off on spending $30M of their bottom line dollars for the Leafs to get the 3rd overall pick.....

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie
Still some fun to speculate whether Bell/Rogers would sign off on spending $30M of their bottom line dollars for the Leafs to get the 3rd overall pick.....

Speculate???!!! Of course they would, Philly just paid similar money and got nothing in return, you honestly think the richest franchise in the NHL wouldn't spend 30M to get one of Mackinnon, Drouin or Jones? It wouldn't even be a discussion it would be a forgone conclusion they would do it, but I dont think there is even a .00001% chance Tampa was dangling the 3rd overall pick for any team willing to buyout a player for them.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
But as fans, money they spend means nothing.

The people making the decisions aren't looking at it from the just fans perspective. Spending $30M to acquire a nominal asset makes no sense.

I wouldn't mind getting him and play him for a year. Buy him out next summer. I think we're well below the cap next year.

That would $33M for 1 year of Lecavalier, provided he would even waive his NTC.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Whoever wrote that article has no clue about the value of top draft picks. Does anyone here actually believe Tampa was going to give us one of Mackinnon, Drouin, or Jones with nothing, but cash headed the other way?

How much do you think the 3rd overall is worth?

$30m?

$50m?

$100m?

$150m?

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
yeah agree with those saying that MLSE would fork over 30+ mil for a high draft pick..they would do it in a heartbeat

really we have all the money in the world but there really isnt much to do with it to get an advantage over other teams other than hiring some expensive high profile people in the organizaion

this one chance comes along with the compliance buyouts and i really think it's important that we stomp on it

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
45 million for a 3rd overall... Teams like the Lightning which dont even turn a profit make that trade in their sleep.

The Leafs generate 100 million in profit a year.

Anybody willing to question MLSE's purse strings under the unholy alliance is crazy.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
My guess is that it would've been a first in 2014, no way they sell a top 3 pick to us just to save some cash on Lecavalier. Would've been awesome though.

Edit: Any way we could trade for Lecavalier, use him for a year then buy him out? Then have him re-sign with the Lightning? Is there a way for us to only semi-circumvent this ridiculous rule. Or should we just drop it altogether?

jRmfsQh.jpg

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
45 million for a 3rd overall... Teams like the Lightning which dont even turn a profit make that trade in their sleep.

The Leafs generate 100 million in profit a year.

Anybody willing to question MLSE's purse strings under the unholy alliance is crazy.

Where the hell did you get your avi?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No way Leafs would spend that type of money for just a Pick.

bruyns

Jan 18, 2011
Barrie
How much do you think the 3rd overall is worth?

$30m?

$50m?

$100m?

$150m?

Depends on the market and the player available that year, certain teams would be willing to spend much more than others obviously. With that type of question do you think that MLSE wouldn't view the 3rd pick this year as worth $30M :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad