News Article: Lightning and Leafs try to Circumvent Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
ummmm.........no. You think the leafs had 80 million in revenue LOL? How could a team valued at a billion dollars have 80 mil in revenue when the cap itself excluding staff payrolls was 67 mil. For the last 82 game season the leafs profited around 80 mil.
MLSE revenue is over $200 million/ year, but I can't see them spending that much on hockey. I am pretty sure they'll be focusing on bringing their unproductive assets such as the TFC and Raptors to TML-levels.

It would make more sense to spend $45 million dollar extra on the Raptors, because of the potential upside. That team was always hopeless and if they performed like the Heats, they'd be extremely profitable. The same goes for TFC.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
MLSE revenue is over $200 million/ year, but I can't see them spending that much on hockey. I am pretty sure they'll be focusing on bringing their unproductive assets such as the TFC and Raptors to TML-levels.

It would make more sense to spend $45 million dollar extra on the Raptors, because of the potential upside. That team was always hopeless and if they performed like the Heats, they'd be extremely profitable. The same goes for TFC.

I'm not arguing if they would or wouldnt, just correcting a post saying that their revenue was only 100mil.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Good on Nonis. Principles should never interfere with a GM's intentions to acquire assets for his hockey club.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
This story regardless of whether anything ends up happening or not is a good sign for the Leafs as far as the new ownership is concerned. Just the fact that MLSE is willing to spend money to acquire assets is a huge step in the right direction.

This never would have been a remote possibility when the tightwads from the Teachers Pension Fund owned the team.

After years of hating MLSE I'm slowly and cautiously warming to the new Bell/Rogers ownership.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm guessing any transactions that result in Lecavalier being acquired, bought out, and re-signed by the Lightning will be called Cap Circumvention.

Same way they changed the rules to punish the Devils for Kovalchuk.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
What if Vinny actually played a year and then the Leafs bought him out?

I know he isn't the answer by any means, but he would be a good replacement for a year even with the intention of buying him out next year.

I'm not sure what that does for a player, but I would assume it would be like any 1 year deal and then deciding not to come back.

The Leafs are still able to buy out players next year and it not count against the cap, so its always a possibility.

Have a feeling that anything that involves an agreement in advance to amnesty would be considered circumvention - even if there were a one year wait. Then again a team is allowed to re-sign a year after amnestying, so maybe it would be allowed the way you suggest.

Still wondering if NHL will allow straight cash-for-asset type transactions that don't involve any re-signing, such as:

DiPietro + Asset <------> bag of pucks

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This story regardless of whether anything ends up happening or not is a good sign for the Leafs as far as the new ownership is concerned. Just the fact that MLSE is willing to spend money to acquire assets is a huge step in the right direction.

This never would have been a remote possibility when the tightwads from the Teachers Pension Fund owned the team.

After years of hating MLSE I'm slowly and cautiously warming to the new Bell/Rogers ownership.

The Leafs have always thrown money around. Not sure what you're complaining about. If anything, they were foolish with their cash.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
assuming the penalty for going ahead of this would be the same or similar to NJ (1st of their choice)
I still do this trade if its 3rd overall

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
technically the lightning can still trade him to Toronto, and Leafs could then buyout him out right after. but lecavalier has to seek employment elsewhere after the buyout. can't sign with the lightning or leafs.

it all depends on how desperate the owner wants to get rid of the financial burden and does he want the player to come back next year...

if the owner wants him back, then no buyout happens. my gut feeling is that they part ways and this deal goes through and lecavalier signs in Montreal.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
This is a good sign because it signals an end of "Good guy Burke" and ushers in a new era where Nonis is more creative with the Leafs' financial muscle.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
The Leafs have always thrown money around. Not sure what you're complaining about. If anything, they were foolish with their cash.

Please. They always gave the illusion that they would throw their money around, but they never really did. When did the Leafs ever make a huge splash in free agency? Maybe once when they signed Joseph. That's it. Guys like Corson and Roberts and Mogilny and Allison and an over the hill Lindros were attempts to make it look like they were willing to spend money, but they never were willing to go out and get the top free agents even before there was a salary cap. There were too many Reichels and Renbergs and Hoglunds and not enough true quality. I remember when Rob Blake was a UFA before he went to Colorado and the Leafs were linked big time to getting Lindros before he was over the hill watching an interview with Bill Watters who was then part of the management team and he admitted that it wouldn't happen because it would cost too much money.

My hope is that with Bell and Rogers that will be changing.

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
It must've been. What else would have they offered?

they said today on TSN 1050 that it could of been a second rounder.. but i believe there is no way the leafs do it for only a second. I mean they could of probably flipped MacA at the deadline for a second.

Why go pay 30 million now ?

had to of been their 3rd overall involved

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
they said today on TSN 1050 that it could of been a second rounder.. but i believe there is no way the leafs do it for only a second. I mean they could of probably flipped MacA at the deadline for a second.

Why go pay 30 million now ?

had to of been their 3rd overall involved

Well you're not paying 30M now. You're increasing your payroll by ~3% (or less) for the next 14 years.

James Duthie

Kadri is 3 Hunna
May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is a good sign because it signals an end of "Good guy Burke" and ushers in a new era where Nonis is more creative with the Leafs' financial muscle.

Yeah but you have to give Brian Burke credit for giving Nonis this cap space and not being a idiot like the Flyers GM and blowing it on long term contracts. It's good to know that Brian Burke and Dave Nonis didn't play into that long term deals. The Flyers are just crazy with their money and Vancouver lol, nuff said. All these teams that did those contracts totally regret it, and for a team like Toronto, I don't get why they couldn't do this, they have the money to do so and If it means getting back a draft pick or a prospect, heck I'd do it anyday. The NHL is just butthurt.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
$30m for a second rounder is so moronic that anyone suggesting it should be fired on the spot.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
i think the lightning and leafs should be stripped of their first round draft picks this year as a result.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Yep, had to be their first rounder. No way the Leafs do this for anything else. Damn this would have been nice...why does the league always take a stand when it's the Leafs getting involved. F!

leafspring*

Nonis hasn't spoken to T-BAY about vinny so this is all B.S. The fact that Lecavalier has a NMC seems to be a pretty important ingredient in this whole scenario that is being neglected to be mentioned.

Lecavalier coming out and saying he will waive his NMC would be as likely as finding a snowball in hell.

Some other hack tries topping that by linking Letang to the Leafs as a favoured destination. Yeah ok then if you want to believe that too. This is all absolutely un-substanciated speculation. That'd be called B.S for short .

Gardiner/Riely will be sufficient offensive d-men at a very nice cap hit for years thanks.

You all just suck it up like sheep lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad