News Article: Lightning and Leafs try to Circumvent Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I was always against Toronto trading for Lecavalier just so they could buy him out and have Tampa Bay re-sign him at a less expensive contract, no matter what the Leafs could have got in return. If that was true why would they pay all that money, however they don't want to play Tyler Bozak what he wants to still play for them. Plus the fact that next season Toronto and Tampa Bay are in the same division, that's even more reason why it never made sense for Toronto do that. So I was happy the NHL found out about this before it went any farther and since Tampa is now going to buyout Lecavalier themselves, it makes sense they pay him off considering he signed his current contract with them.

leafspring*

Do you even understand how the deal would have happened? Lecavalier comes to Toronto with an asset. The money remaining on his contract is $45M, so the Leafs buyout for $30M. Lightning immediately turn around and re-signs Lecavalier - example 6 years for $25M. So Lecavalier ends up with an extra $10M ($30M + 25M = $55M,) and his cap hit goes from 7.7M to (example) 4.2M

Bottom line, in exchange for being a Leaf on paper for a couple days, Lecavalier gets an extra $10M over the remainder of his career. Oh yeah, and his cap hit is a lot lower, making it easier for the team he obviously loves playing for to improve.

But as you say...

Great point. Well thought out.

Do you know what a NMC is? It means Lecavalier is in control of providing "permission" to even make a trade. See how that works now.Catchin on there bro?

leafspring*

Vinny will most likely sign in california this time. LA or the ducks i'm thinkin.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Leafs would have only done that deal if it was for the 3rd over all pic. To be honest, 30mill?! How could the T-Bay owner not go for that? Sorry, some guys on here don't think too straight, when an owner has to fork out money each year because the franchise is loosing money and someone offers to basically pay out one of your bad contratcs for 30mill you run down the hall and tell your GM to send the 3rd over all pic and get it done. After that head out to the nearest steak house and get the biggest steak and start sucking back DP all night that he saved you 30mill.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
Vinny will most likely sign in california this time. LA or the ducks i'm thinkin.

LA made the Bernier trade to help the cap stress and Ryan is being shopped to alleviate their cap issues too. So, I just can't see that happening unless Vinnie signs for cheap (3m or less)

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
I was always against Toronto trading for Lecavalier just so they could buy him out and have Tampa Bay re-sign him at a less expensive contract, no matter what the Leafs could have got in return. If that was true why would they pay all that money, however they don't want to play Tyler Bozak what he wants to still play for them. Plus the fact that next season Toronto and Tampa Bay are in the same division, that's even more reason why it never made sense for Toronto do that. So I was happy the NHL found out about this before it went any farther and since Tampa is now going to buyout Lecavalier themselves, it makes sense they pay him off considering he signed his current contract with them.

You honestly wouldn't have supported this if it got the Leafs the 3rd pick in the draft?

What's wrong with you? MLSE can give away as much money as they want for all that I'm concerned. Who cares? It's not your money and it wouldn't have affected the Leafs cap.

I'd take Drouin for 30 mil of Rogers and Bell's money any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad