Post-Game Talk: Lightning 3 @ Canucks 2 OT | BoJesus tried to save us but OT wins again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
During the OT tonight, I leaned over to my buddy and mentioned "This is great! Maybe WD is learning, and not putting out the Twins and Edler!"....

Habits die hard..

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Virtanen skated well, but he still made a bunch of bonehead plays in the offensive zone (passes to no one, bad angle shots, etc.) that killed the flow of play. I'm not entirely convinced it's because he's afraid to make mistakes, I just don't think the kid has figured it out yet. That said, he deserved to play more in the third, especially with Prust wasting his knees out there every other shift. Jake needs to develop his instincts, and the only way to do that will be to play a lot in offensive situations.

It's weird that the team seems set on keeping him up because it's pretty obvious Willie doesn't really like playing him all that much. I'd understand it more if he was being spoonfed prime minutes a la Vey last year, but the way he's been deployed it's actually just confusing why management thinks he should stay.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Also, holy moly is Bo Horvat good.

Like, really good.

Like, completely undressing Victor Hedman really good.

He showed flashes of an extra gear last season, but now he seems to be putting it all together. At least for longer stretches. The way he's been playing the past month or so it's no surprise he's gone white hot after being snakebitten pretty much all year.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Virtanen skated well, but he still made a bunch of bonehead plays in the offensive zone (passes to no one, bad angle shots, etc.) that killed the flow of play. I'm not entirely convinced it's because he's afraid to make mistakes, I just don't think the kid has figured it out yet. That said, he deserved to play more in the third, especially with Prust wasting his knees out there every other shift. Jake needs to develop his instincts, and the only way to do that will be to play a lot in offensive situations.

It's weird that the team seems set on keeping him up because it's pretty obvious Willie doesn't really like playing him all that much. I'd understand it more if he was being spoonfed prime minutes a la Vey last year, but the way he's been deployed it's actually just confusing why management thinks he should stay.

I was at the game and I could honestly say outside of horvat and maaaaaaybe kucherov, Virtanen was the most exciting player on the ice. He played very well and that one pass to nobody was a bobbled puck that got knocked away from him, he played with some real confidence tonight

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Besides two great shifts, Twins took the night off, a bit. Burr seemed to put in the effort, but the chemistry was just not there. Not even close. I would have put JV on the wing for a few shifts, especially in the latter parts of the first period.

Higgy...wow. I have never said a bad word about him, but he is just mailing it in, sadly.
I actually bet someone around me a beer if he properly finished off a check tonight. Guess who won...

I also noticed he was the first person to make it to the bench (far to often) first on his line.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I was at the game and I could honestly say outside of horvat and maaaaaaybe kucherov, Virtanen was the most exciting player on the ice. He played very well and that one pass to nobody was a bobbled puck that got knocked away from him, he played with some real confidence tonight

Agreed. Kudos to JV. If he gets the proper amount of ice time, he is going to be just fine here. Proud of the kid tonight. Great response.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Also, holy moly is Bo Horvat good.

Like, really good.

Like, completely undressing Victor Hedman really good.

He showed flashes of an extra gear last season, but now he seems to be putting it all together. At least for longer stretches. The way he's been playing the past month or so it's no surprise he's gone white hot after being snakebitten pretty much all year.

Yep. I'll be shocked if he doesn't pop in at least another 12 goals before the year is done.

By the way, holy crappers does T-Bay have a few tall defenceman! Massive height! Hedman: 6'6", Coburn: 6'5", Sustr: 6'7".

Now thats a wall Jon Snow should be worried about...;)

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Virtanen showed a few glimpses of his future dominant self. That power forward drive wide around the dman to the net. God damn.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
THtrGvH.png

R82EOen.png

9Tmm5By.png

ftmW3AD.png

1. 2016-01-09 - 001 - Mark Donnelly USA Anthem
  2. 2016-01-09 - 002 - Mark Donnelly CDN Anthem
  3. 2016-01-09 - 003 - Virtanen Hit
  4. 2016-01-09 - 004 - Markstrom save on Filpulla
  5. 2016-01-09 - 005 - Great Virtanen Shift
  6. 2016-01-09 - 006 - Virtanen Compilation
  7. 2016-01-09 - 007 - Bart's magic pass
  8. 2016-01-09 - 008 - Horvat dekes Hedman passes to Bae for the goal
  9. 2016-01-09 - 009 - Good Virtanen shift
  10. 2016-01-09 - 010 - When did Dank get so fast
  11. 2016-01-09 - 011 - Bo Breakaway
  12. 2016-01-09 - 012 - Hutton to Bo
  13. 2016-01-09 - 013 - OT

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Again, as I haven't read this thread yet, sorry if this has been mentioned:

Massive kudos to WD and the Nucks for starting Jake Virtanen on the opening face off.

I hope everyone reading this understands the significance of this...

And it paid off.

The 'GOAT' headline writer from the Province will be addressed...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
- Virtanen statement game. Pretty impressive if I may say.
- BoBae keeps on rolling
- Burr and Higgins are most definitely not with the program which is why Dorsett gets so many minutes. Tough position to be in if you don't support the coach and everyone else is.
- Bolts tested Marky Mark's glove hand the entire game and couldn't beat it.
- Vey was a good NHL player tonight
- How did Bart get to be good? I don't believe.
- Just don't trust WD. Gassed the Sedins in OT for the loss.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Vey: hmmm... I'm not a big Vey fan, but he showed a few moments, and has lately. Perhaps he is realizing just how hard he might have to work to stay with the big club. He still has a lot of hard work ahead of him - and I hope he realizes that.

There might be something here...and I hope he realizes it too.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Massive kudos to WD and the Nucks for starting Jake Virtanen on the opening face off.

And it paid off.

I agree. The kid needed support and a jolt and they gave it to him. He responded accordingly.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Wow Bo looked amazing in this game
Sven should totally be waived guys :sarcasm:

Glad JV had a nice game..hopefully he is able to string together a few nice games

Poor Markstrom lol

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Hutton has more of an "all over the ice" feel to him, it's a bit different than Tanev- hate to say it but a player that sort of plays that way is D Keith.

Obviously not even possible to compare the two players but I do see a bit of that roving style that Keith has in Hutton.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
- Virtanen statement game. Pretty impressive if I may say.
- BoBae keeps on rolling
- Burr and Higgins are most definitely not with the program which is why Dorsett gets so many minutes. Tough position to be in if you don't support the coach and everyone else is.
- Bolts tested Marky Mark's glove hand the entire game and couldn't beat it.
- Vey was a good NHL player tonight
- How did Bart get to be good? I don't believe.
- Just don't trust WD. Gassed the Sedins in OT for the loss.

-Boom. Again worth mentioning, massive confidence boost to one of our future top 6. Probably one of the few times I absolutely praise WD and management this year. Unfortunately, WD seemed soon to forget.

- Marky Marks' glove hand is ... just fine.

We joked about it during the game, and all the scouts know this.

Guess what; he has been close to stellar, and if that is his kryptonite, I'll take my chances with this future Superstar.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I agree. The kid needed support and a jolt and they gave it to him. He responded accordingly.

I really feel this might be his turning point, and management played this perfectly.

I'd put money on this; that we will be talking about this twenty years from now.

Note to self: interest collection might be a problem...;)

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
As I laid in bed, almost asleep, I realized why Dorsett finally showed up tonight.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Who did we just trade for? ..That although left shooting, plays right wing?

Boom.

See what happens Dorsey, when you coast after signing a contract?

We will find a way to say...Buh bye.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

And it paid off.

agreed. prob my favourite thing wd's done here.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
In general a sloppy game between two sloppy teams. Horvat playing well. Baertschi playing around the net which is the thing he wouldn't do in Calgary on any consistent basis. When the inevitable dry spell occurs he needs to resist the urge to go back to his comfortable perimeter game. Dorsett was okay but all that ice time? Yikes. Bartkowski had a decent game but still lost a lot of board battles and sent the puck up the middle a couple of times. Willie still can't run a bench. Even Simpson pointed it out...tv timeout and the Sedin line is the 4th line sent out. Thought cracknell had a tough game. Prust is invisible when the opposition has no one to play staged fight with him. Virtanen can play a north south game and hit, but when he's not on the rush or first guy on the forecheck he contributes very little. I want more Ovechkin and less Torres if you know what I mean.

How many years in a row is this that the backup plays demonstrably better than the starter? With Miller essentially healthy, at a minimum Markstrom needs to be sharing the net. You have to dump Miller in the offseason.

I guess beyond Horvat, some sweet passing from The twins and nice play from Hutton (maybe his best game of the year) I didn't see a lot to get excited about. I saw the same 0.500 pt% team that has played the first 41 games. Failed to take advantage of a team on the road and on a back to back.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

I didn't see much of boneheads plays, actually I only counted one.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
actually come to think about it, not to discount willie because i think that very well could have been a boss former junior coach move by him, but would anyone be surprised if it comes out that before the game henrik pulled willie aside and said "kid's having a rough time. why don't you let him start the game with us?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad