Rumor: Lies & Deception Thread | Adam Larsson signs with Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Why would Larsson leave behind a team with the best player in the world and another top-5 player, who are entering their contending window, to go to an expansion team for the same $$? My guess is that Lars trusts Francis’ plan and has no faith in Holland. Holland should be fired asap.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I have to say this again to somebody, Hall gone?
200.gif

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Larrsson’s agent played us. Pretty much just presented our offer to Seatle.

Uh ... that's an agent's job. You guys take this crap too seriously.

Seattle has no state income tax. That means Larsson earns $400k more/year and $1.6 million more over 4 years in Seattle.

There's your difference maker, $1.6 million is a fair deal of money even for a rich person.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
How do you lose a negotiation if the player decides he doesn't want to be here? You'd have said Holland lost the negotiation if he signed Larsson for more than he was worth too.

screenshot_2014-03-11-09-16-56-1.png

Exchange 'our society' with 'certain posters on HFOil'

No he wont. If there's one thing about that poster, he'll stick by said player regardless of how bad he plays or stupid the contract

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Losing larsson is a big blow, we have no one in system to replace what he brings other than samorukov, I see Holland over paying and giving up more draft picks for a player he over values to under perform in larsson spot

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Yup it is lazy to blame the city. Lots of teams of all types have free agent troubles. The Oilers have done okay before. The team has McDrai.

Exactly, such a poor excuse.

Larsson is the kind of player who wants to win. He just left a team with McDavid and Draisatl to go to an expansion team for the same money. :laugh:

Red flags all around.

Go get Dougie Hamilton 7 x $8.5

Reactions: Little Fury

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why would Larsson leave behind a team with the best player in the world and another top-5 player, who are entering their contending window, to go to an expansion team for the same $$? My guess is that Lars trusts Francis’ plan and has no faith in Holland. Holland should be fired asap.

It's not the same money.

$4 million in Seattle is $400k more per year because they have no state income tax, same as Florida.

$441k more a year is $1.7+ million more post tax in earnings for the contract, that's a lot of money.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's not even close

The out list is actually quite close, maybe even worse assuming Barrie moves on as well. Lagesson is a similar loss to Eberle. Neal similar loss to Pouliot. Chiasson similar to Hendrick (not in play style but where they slot in a lineup and years likely left to play), Jones similar to Pitlick (not play style or position but current view of potential), Haas similar to Lander (decent centre without any offensive finish at all), then the rest that year was loose change similar to much of this years with Barrie, Smith and Koskinen being the potential swings to there being more going out than that year.

Still lots of time for the "in" list to grow though and that was my intent was to show the bar for outs that year wasn't the issue when compared to this year as much as the ins. If the outs grow by losing Barrie and Smith as well, then it's even more for Holland to make up to be better than that offseason.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We should talk about analytics again. For a small market team with near zero free agent attractiveness to not have a extremely well funded analytics dept to Atleast try to unearth some hidden gems for us is an abject failure of management.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
3C is as important as anything imo
Not going to disagree but realistically those are now the three biggest holes along with 3C.

We cant roll into next season with Bear and Bouchard as our top 4 RD in all likelihood. So I expect Holland to pitch a bigger name RD.

Goalie I wouldnt be surprised if he chases Grubauer after going after Markstrom last offseason.

North

Jun 25, 2009
To be honest that team doesnt look great in my opinion.

Now that I look at it that is ugly but they are probably going to pick up some pieces through FA and through deals they made to pick certain players.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How do you lose a negotiation if the player decides he doesn't want to be here? You'd have said Holland lost the negotiation if he signed Larsson for more than he was worth too.

screenshot_2014-03-11-09-16-56-1.png

Exchange 'our society' with 'certain posters on HFOil'
I guess things just happen then. There's no precursor to what eventually occurs. No possible way to convince that person to make a different decision in hindsight. All God's plan, amirite?

For the record, I would've been fine paying more to keep Larsson. I've stated frequently that he should've been the top priority to re-sign this summer.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Yeah and there's a good chance he won't even be a good back up by year 2.

But you were absolutely clear that it was a fact that Smith was done when he signed his one year deal last year.

It’s ok to admit you’re just at the “throwing darts at a dartboard” stage of your player analysis.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Blaming the city is stupid af, I mentioned that before too.
Holland has to take a bit of the blame, he runs this team and couldn't deliver on something he said he would do.

He did say he was not confident 100% it will happen, but "not not confident" it will happen. Definitely his responsibility to get it done, but the Player was UFA, and exercised his right. But I do agree with your earlier post though, if he was going do it, might as well try max out the deal. And agreed, blaming the city is foolish, but if people are going to use that as an excuse, then that means the fans take a bit a responsibility too. You have to admit, this is not an easy place for a Player to play in, we have some of the most outspoken, knowledgeable and passionate fanbase, some players can handle the spotlight and everything that comes with it. Our fanbase scrutinizes every little detail about a player because we care so much to have the right players on this team. Imagine everyone in the city doing that to you, and all your flaws and telling you how you are not good enough compared to the player you were traded for 4 years straight. You wouldn't be tired of it?

Edit: A fresh start is pretty attractive if you think about it.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's not the same money.

$4 million in Seattle is $400k more per year because they have no state income tax, same as Florida.

$441k more a year is $1.7+ million more post tax in earnings for the contract, that's a lot of money.
With a new team like Seattle, I'm surprised he didn't ask for 5M avv

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012

Also probably because
- he doesn't want to live in Edmonton anymore
-have no income taxes
- be part of a brand new team (once in career opportunity)

I don't blame him lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad