Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
These guys are young Filip and Lias .....I wonder if they spend too much time with the girls....not enough sleep.
Lias is out of whack ......nothing like when he first came up. Lets give him a reboot for next year I bet he succeeds and is at least as good as Howden.
Never seemed to hurt Jagr .

Reactions: cheech70

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Remember when everyone told me Lias was just tired when I was deeply concerned that he clearly could barely skate in his first traverse city tourney?

I see two years later the excuses are still there. We should be concerned.

Reactions: JHS

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Remember when everyone told me Lias was just tired when I was deeply concerned that he clearly could barely skate in his first traverse city tourney?

I see two years later the excuses are still there. We should be concerned.

You're still in the minority believing that he "could barely skate". His speed is average+. He's not "slow".

Future Considerations: "has good balance and generates healthy amounts of speed…a potential two-way guy in the Zetterberg mold"

Draft Analyst: " A shifty, elusive player with good acceleration who is quick on his feet and a has knack for making something out of nothing,"

Elite Prospects: "Offensively, Andersson stands out with impressive puck skills, a good shot and fine speed."

“He’s quick, fast, determined and skilled and can play all three positions up front. A Swiss (or Swedish) Army knife-type player who’s very adaptable and coaches will love.” – Craig Button, TSN Director of Scouting

“A late ’98 birthday, Andersson is an excellent two-way player who excels in every part of the rink. Can completely drive a line with the way be attacks the game. Not sure if he’ll ever have elite skill, but is such a valuable player.” – Jeff Marek, Sportsnet

“Work ethic and consistency elevate him above peers. Does it all. Natural leader.” – ISS (International Scouting Services)

I'll be concerned if he's with the 'Pack at age 23. I couldn't be less concerned with a guy who's barely 20.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Lias need better ToI to get anywhere next season or start to build self confidense which is all time low now.. And hopefully the player development department figure it out before the training camp later this year what to do with Lias, and what is the plan going forward.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Plenty of slow players have amazing NHL careers even now. Pavelski as brought up by @Machinehead , ror, stepan, etc.

But all those guys are very good board players.

I know Toby is bringing up lias' ahl game and his Sweden game and all of that may be true, I honestly don't know, all I know is he's noticeably bad along the boards. He spins and falls so often I've given up on being annoyed by it

Part of it could just be man strength. Hayes and vesey we're both atrocities along the boards and with their balance when they first came up, and both have gotten steadily better, with Hayes being a downright board monster.

I'm not saying lias' can't get better.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good board player elsewhere.

I'm just saying, right now in the nhl, he's a very poor board player and that needs to be one of the most important parts of his game that he focuses on going forward.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
You're still in the minority believing that he "could barely skate". His speed is average+. He's not "slow".

Future Considerations: "has good balance and generates healthy amounts of speed…a potential two-way guy in the Zetterberg mold"

Draft Analyst: " A shifty, elusive player with good acceleration who is quick on his feet and a has knack for making something out of nothing,"

Elite Prospects: "Offensively, Andersson stands out with impressive puck skills, a good shot and fine speed."

“He’s quick, fast, determined and skilled and can play all three positions up front. A Swiss (or Swedish) Army knife-type player who’s very adaptable and coaches will love.” – Craig Button, TSN Director of Scouting

“A late ’98 birthday, Andersson is an excellent two-way player who excels in every part of the rink. Can completely drive a line with the way be attacks the game. Not sure if he’ll ever have elite skill, but is such a valuable player.” – Jeff Marek, Sportsnet

“Work ethic and consistency elevate him above peers. Does it all. Natural leader.” – ISS (International Scouting Services)

I'll be concerned if he's with the 'Pack at age 23. I couldn't be less concerned with a guy who's barely 20.

Man if all these scouts thought this guy was fast I now have far less faith in the scouting that is out there. Lias is one of the worst skaters on the team. Plain and simple, he’s slow and has poor balance. I hope he learns how to improve this area of his game in the off season!

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I'm fine with his ice time. He's been outclassed at this level and having him get outclassed more is going to do what for him?

Such a good point! I’ve been saying this too with the idea that NHL coaches don’t just hand out ice time without the player earning it. Few comments drive me more insane than “move Lias up and have him play with better players.” It just completely smells of entitlement attitude and that’s absolutely the last thing any of us should want to encourage more of! How about, “Lias needs to earn more time by setting himself apart in the time he has.” In fact, he’s done the opposite of that and is completely invisible almost every game.

I asked several posts ago if anyone can name one thing Lias has noticeably improved on this year— I’ll take any aspect of his game. Not a single person has named anything so far.

I’m not rooting against this guy. I want him to succeed but we’ve got to hold him to a higher standard! I applaud Coach Quinn for doing just that!

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
They could as well let him play top 6 minutes at AHL in my opinion @Machinehead - it can be difficult and I guess Quinn expect him to carry that 4th line.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

If he could learn to attack the puck the way McDonagh played defence, with efficient angles, and deft anticipation no one would criticise his skating.

He just needs some time and the right coaching.

Reactions: UnSandvich and Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`fine @GeorgeKaplan I was too hard earlier last evening in a different topic and felt bad about it. (
That`s why I usually mention post news and get less into opinion discussions, because most are here contribute and love to talk about Rangers and it`s quite normal to have different views on some topics like player development and contract talks.

I still believe it`s best for Lias to play much as possible and get into well known positions and create offense - so I don`t mind to move Lias back to AHL in his age it`s good benefits in the future. 1 goal in 29 games this season tells me he is not ready for NHL - he is almost the opposite of "NHL ready" when he was drafted so @The S5 is on point concerning the scouting staff.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just another swing and a miss by our genius scouting staff.

Please tell me which player is significantly better than Lias who was picked right after him.

Mittelstadt is playing in the NHL but isn't exactly lighting it up. He would be on the 4th line had he been on our team
Vilardi is a worse skater than Lias
Rasmussen is not really proving to be better yet either
Necas in the AHL was on par with Lias, not better

You could argue Brannstrom is the only player picked in the same range who is proving to be a better player almost 2 years down the road. That's it. That's all. And let's not forget that Lias is outproducing the "offensive elite prospects" Kostin and Tolvanen in the AHL this season.

The 2017 draft was a very, very weak one. Lias isn't playing the way people had hoped, but we should stop pretending we passed on some surefire stars.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Please tell me which player is significantly better than Lias who was picked right after him.

Mittelstadt is playing in the NHL but isn't exactly lighting it up. He would be on the 4th line had he been on our team
Vilardi is a worse skater than Lias
Rasmussen is not really proving to be better yet either
Necas in the AHL was on par with Lias, not better

You could argue Brannstrom is the only player picked in the same range who is proving to be a better player almost 2 years down the road. That's it. That's all. And let's not forget that Lias is outproducing the "offensive elite prospects" Kostin and Tolvanen in the AHL this season.

The 2017 draft was a very, very weak one. Lias isn't playing the way people had hoped, but we should stop pretending we passed on some surefire stars.
I'm not really a person to dwell on what could have been but rather what is. Hence why all my thoughts are on lias' with very little on the other players taken around him.

I do think if lias' works on his balance, board play, and gains some confidence he will be a solid 3rd liner for this team. And I'll be happy with that because as I've stated a million times I think we crushed that trade with DeAngelo alone, whom I've had a mancrush on after seeing him play here a few times.

I honestly feel Ada has low end #1 rhd upside and he's not far off from hitting it.

He will never be Brian leetch, but I see no reason why he can't be a Matthieu schneider, and I'll take that every day of the week.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Unfortunately he’ll always be tied to the #7 pick expectations. I think if we want him to truly succeed, we and he needs to forget that. That’s Gortons fault, not Lias.

If his ceiling is a great leader possible captain who bosses a third line checking role than so be it. Let him develop into that. Starting to believe his absolute ceiling might be a lesser version of Chris Drury in his prime.

Center position has a lot of competition for next season especially with Ryan Strome playing well.

Zibanejad, Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Strome and Nieves. Do you sacrifice Chytil to the wing to fit Andersson in is a more important question for me.

Reactions: Trxjw

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm not really a person to dwell on what could have been but rather what is. Hence why all my thoughts are on lias' with very little on the other players taken around him.

I do think if lias' works on his balance, board play, and gains some confidence he will be a solid 3rd liner for this team. And I'll be happy with that because as I've stated a million times I think we crushed that trade with DeAngelo alone, whom I've had a mancrush on after seeing him play here a few times.

I honestly feel Ada has low end #1 rhd upside and he's not far off from hitting it.

He will never be Brian leetch, but I see no reason why he can't be a Matthieu schneider, and I'll take that every day of the week.

If ADA is our top line dman then Gorton has failed as a GM. On a cup team he shouldnt sniff the top pair.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Unfortunately he’ll always be tied to the #7 pick expectations. I think if we want him to truly succeed, we and he needs to forget that. That’s Gortons fault, not Lias.

If his ceiling is a great leader possible captain who bosses a third line checking role than so be it. Let him develop into that. Starting to believe his absolute ceiling might be a lesser version of Chris Drury in his prime.

Center position has a lot of competition for next season especially with Ryan Strome playing well.

Zibanejad, Andersson, Chytil, Howden, Strome and Nieves. Do you sacrifice Chytil to the wing to fit Andersson in is a more important question for me.

I think it's time to give Lias some time on the wing and see how it works. I personally dont think he is strong enough for center yet, and as everyone knows his skating needs a little bit if work. Put him on the wing where he doesnt have to come so low in his own end.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Plenty of slow players have amazing NHL careers even now. Pavelski as brought up by @Machinehead , ror, stepan, etc.

But all those guys are very good board players.

I know Toby is bringing up lias' ahl game and his Sweden game and all of that may be true, I honestly don't know, all I know is he's noticeably bad along the boards. He spins and falls so often I've given up on being annoyed by it

Part of it could just be man strength. Hayes and vesey we're both atrocities along the boards and with their balance when they first came up, and both have gotten steadily better, with Hayes being a downright board monster.

I'm not saying lias' can't get better.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good board player elsewhere.

I'm just saying, right now in the nhl, he's a very poor board player and that needs to be one of the most important parts of his game that he focuses on going forward.

Stepan wasn't an amazing board player in his first season with the Rangers and he was 21. He would get routinely out-muscled.

Reactions: belford222

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes maybe the 2017 draft was weak after the 5th pick @Amazing Kreiderman , but when did we hit with a player in a draft since Glen Sather was GM in a 10 years perspective? :)
I won`t defend the current scouting staff, and we have seen changes on it in the recent years, and I`m not sure the Rangers Franchise is all happy with their current staff.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

My post was more about the "Swing and miss" comment I quoted. I agree that there's room for improvement. I also feel it's way too early to judge a player who turned 20 just a few months ago. The 2017 draft was weak. That's possibly why Arizona was willing to trade a top-10 pick, unlike in 2016 or 2018.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes maybe the 2017 draft was weak after the 5th pick @Amazing Kreiderman , but when did we hit with a player in a draft since Glen Sather was GM in a 10 years perspective? :)
I won`t defend the current scouting staff, and we have seen changes on it in the recent years, and I`m not sure the Rangers Franchise is all happy with their current staff.

Kreider
Miller
Skjei
Stepan
Staal
Hagelin
Fast
Buchnevich
Weise
Del Zotto
Anisimov
Dubinsky
Callahan
Prucha
Tyutin
Moore
Lundqvist
Zidlicky

All these are drafted since 2000, since Sather took over as GM. Some became good players on other teams, but were still picked by our scouts. Players drafted outside the top-10 who play a couple hundred NHL games are a successful pick in my opinion. Not Kucherov-level steals, but good picks nonetheless

Reactions: UnSandvich and Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
19 years later hopefully we hit in this summer draft, but we need lottery luck to get an elite forward. :)
I say maybe, because we still don`t know @Amazing Kreiderman - both Chytil & Lias can still have some big roles on this team in the future and go past 60 pts. like Mika.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
19 years later hopefully we hit in this summer draft, but we need lottery luck to get an elite forward. :)
I say maybe, because we still don`t know @Amazing Kreiderman - both Chytil & Lias can still have some big roles on this team in the future and go past 60 pts. like Mika.

I'll say this though: Finding an elite forward outside the top-5 has nothing to do with scouting. If it did, every scout is useless for not recognizing what Kucherov turned into. It's luck. It's a lottery

Reactions: Ori and Mandar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany