Player Discussion Lias Andersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I'd argue that in his previous stops he's been consistently one of the best players and getting into high percentage areas, taking the more difficult assignments compared to his peers and generating chances in the offensive zone.

None of his previous stations have been the best league in the world.

It doesn't matter though. It's his to carve out.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Lias is really good in the PP but he's not getting PP time so far, so if you're going to do statistical comparisons then use 5v5 stats, preferably /60.

Reactions: belford222

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes they knew that Elias was gone in 2017 in 5th overall - so they decided to trade that 7th pick after good scouting by Arizona.

Derick Stepan
  • Draft: 2008 NYR, 2nd rd, 21st pk (51st overall)
2010-2011 season his first after two years of developing: 82 gp 21 goals, 24 assist 45 points.

Stepan is a really good 2nd pick so too many compare Lias to him since both are centers too, and some hope he can be a 50 point player like Stepan. But after Zucc was moved I decided to let them develop and don`t go into that trap to fell in love with players like my next girl friend.

• There are so many top 10 picks since 2000 who are not successful in NHL.

If Lias is not successful the rebuild will continue without him in a major top 6 role, and new centers will be drafted maybe already in 2019 since they more likely going to draft the best player with their 1st - it`s simple like that and the life go on as a Rangers fan. :)

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
None of his previous stations have been the best league in the world.

It doesn't matter though. It's his to carve out.

And when have we ever used that with any other prospect we have right now? Miller isn’t playing the best competition in the world. Nor is Kravtsov. Nor Shesterkin.

That’s exactly my point, we’re always moving the goal posts for Andersson.

If we want to go that route, fine. But that would need to be acknowledged with every prospect, not just the ones people want to pout about.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Lias was on a positive curve after the latest call up, then he got inexplicably scratched and now he's playing worse and getting ~7min TOI, that's awfully handled by Quinn.... Just send him back to Hartford again if he's getting handled like this.

Reactions: Rangers743

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lias was on a positive curve after the latest call up, then he got inexplicably scratched and now he's playing worse and getting ~7min TOI, that's awfully handled by Quinn.... Just send him back to Hartford again if he's getting handled like this.

Scratching Lias was ridiculous. He did not have a bad game since his last call up but Quinn used the "Someone has to sit because Howden is back" BS excuse. Meanwhile, Smith was still on the 4th line playing wing.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I agree but I don’t want Lias touching Hartford again this season. There are too many problems there this season, that can not be good for his development.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Pure stupidity to not give him meaningful icetime. By all accounts he had a crap game last night but this isn't about one game, it's a theme when it comes to Quinn-Lias.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Pure stupidity to not give him meaningful icetime. By all accounts he had a crap game last night but this isn't about one game, it's a theme when it comes to Quinn-Lias.
Yeah but you can use this same post, remove the words lias and insert buchnevich or DeAngelo and feel like you've read it before.

Quinn wants more, and until lias gives him more this is what he's gonna get.

I don't love the...yes he played like crap but what if he got more ice time! Argument.

Is he sulking? If so it'll be the what...3rd time already this year that he's sulked? That's a flaw as well.

Right now buchnevich and DeAngelo are playing the best hockey of their careers and getting the minutes to back it up.

It's not a coincidence.
We need a ton more from lias. Frankly we need a ton more from chytil too.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Scratching Lias was ridiculous. He did not have a bad game since his last call up but Quinn used the "Someone has to sit because Howden is back" BS excuse. Meanwhile, Smith was still on the 4th line playing wing.
Smith as a 4th line winger outplayed lias as a 4th line center...Smith had like 4 billion breakways and tons of takeaways and stuff...

Lias was....less poor, to start this recent callul. He had a few good games with lemieux and...was it vesey or buch or fasth can't remember ....but he wasn't the driver on his line.

Not at all Imho

Reactions: cheech70

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Lias seems to have lost his confidence. He will be back.
It's definitely possible. I do feel like he's been a lot less floaty this time around which is good. But I keep coming back to his balance. Seriously, I know there are ppl who have access to video. .feel free to watch his shifts when he has the puck on his stick. I'd wager anything that like 30 to 40 percent of the time the pcuk leaves his stick because his ass is on the ice after being out muscled or tripping over his own feet or what not.

His balance needs to be priority 1. The play can't keep dying on your stick because you can't stay on your feet.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah but you can use this same post, remove the words lias and insert buchnevich or DeAngelo and feel like you've read it before.

Quinn wants more, and until lias gives him more this is what he's gonna get.

I don't love the...yes he played like crap but what if he got more ice time! Argument.

Is he sulking? If so it'll be the what...3rd time already this year that he's sulked? That's a flaw as well.

Right now buchnevich and DeAngelo are playing the best hockey of their careers and getting the minutes to back it up.

It's not a coincidence.
We need a ton more from lias. Frankly we need a ton more from chytil too.

I'm saying he should have been kept on that kid line we ran because he was playing really well after his latest call up, then he was scratched for no apparent reason and then put on new lines and played worse and much less... Quinn is handling him awfully and needs to be called out for it. I never said he's sulking.

I don't Think Buchnevich and DeAngelo are playing better because of how Quinn has handled them this season, they're playing better because they're finally put in a position to succeed.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Smith as a 4th line winger outplayed lias as a 4th line center...Smith had like 4 billion breakways and tons of takeaways and stuff...

Lias was....less poor, to start this recent callul. He had a few good games with lemieux and...was it vesey or buch or fasth can't remember ....but he wasn't the driver on his line.

Not at all Imho
He wasn't "less poor", he was legit good for that stretch of games just Before his healthy scratch... engaged and generated tons of shots.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Lias is barely 20 and Centers typically take longer to develop. Some of y'all need to step off the ledge and lower your immediate expectations a little bit. Howden, on the flip side, is ahead of the curve playing that position so take some solace in that. Lias might never be what you think he should have been at 7th overall - but he might very well be when he gets a little older. The jury is still out.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He wasn't "less poor", he was legit good for that stretch of games just Before his healthy scratch... engaged and generated tons of shots.
In the 3 games period to his scratch he had...1 shot each game
In the game after he had...1 shot. Last night 0.

This is tons of shots?

He had 5 shots in the 3 games before that.. so less than 2 a game. Is that tons of shots?

I'd say he was certainly more engaged. I liked his battle level...but he didn't seem to me to be the one driving the play on his line...he felt like a player that could be upgraded...and frankly I feel like howden is an upgrade there.

Howden has 6 shots in his last 3 games...is that tons of shots too?

I feel like howden is such a better board player that he helps lemieux and buch more than lias who seems to be more of a go to the net and wait for the perfect chance.. right now that's all that lias is really contributing to his line.

I feel like once his board game comes around, then he'll earn more time with better players so he can keep the play going...

Also, I'm saying he possibly sulked, not you.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Lias is barely 20 and Centers typically take longer to develop. Some of y'all need to step off the ledge and lower your immediate expectations a little bit. Howden, on the flip side, is ahead of the curve playing that position so take some solace in that. Lias might never be what you think he should have been at 7th overall - but he might very well be when he gets a little older. The jury is still out.
You're absolutely 100% right. But that doesn't mean he can't be commented on with respect to his play and his areas that need to be improved on.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I know they’re hell bent at playing him at center but they should try to move him to wing and play with Zibanejad.

He hasn’t earned that sort of ice time, so it won’t happen but I’m still surprised they haven’t given it a shot at least once.

The way he’s playing now he’ll either continue to be scratched, or fed sub 8-9 min games where it’s tough to make a big impact. Will probably be a disappointing end to the season for him

He’s got a lot to work on in the summer. He’ll be provided the resources, hopefully he takes advantage

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
You're absolutely 100% right. But that doesn't mean he can't be commented on with respect to his play and his areas that need to be improved on.

I would never suggest that people shouldn't comment on him or his deficiencies - rather that people that have already labeled him a "bust" are doing so prematurely, and unfairly, IMHO.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Here's my 1 biggest overridibg thought on not just lias, but every single skating prospect.

You can not be an effective NHL player if you are slow AND terrible along the boards. You have to be good at at least 1. And preferably acceptable in the other.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He should not be in the nhl
He should have stayed in Sweden working on his strength
Or
He should be in the AHL working on his strength

Playing 20 minutes a night in all situations

Rangers have ruined his development significantly rushing him to the nhl

Reactions: leetch99

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
In the 3 games period to his scratch he had...1 shot each game
In the game after he had...1 shot. Last night 0.

This is tons of shots?

He had 5 shots in the 3 games before that.. so less than 2 a game. Is that tons of shots?

I'd say he was certainly more engaged. I liked his battle level...but he didn't seem to me to be the one driving the play on his line...he felt like a player that could be upgraded...and frankly I feel like howden is an upgrade there.,
Howden has 6 shots in his last 3 games...is that tons of shots too?

I feel like howden is such a better board player that he helps lemieux and buch more than lias who seems to be more of a go to the net and wait for the perfect chance.. right now that's all that lias is really contributing to his line.

I feel like once his board game comes around, then he'll earn more time with better players so he can keep the play going...

Also, I'm saying he possibly sulked, not you.

His 5v5 iCF/60 was just under 13 and he created 5 HD shot attempts in those 6 games. Why does he have to drive the line? He's a rookie.

Now sure why you even bring up Howden but he has 6 shot attempts in 4 games since he returned 2 of which are HDCF, he's been pretty good since he's return and i've never stated the opposite.

I don't agree with your take on Lias board play either, he's Always been a good player along the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad