Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's actually simple reading comprehension.

yeahgood.jpg

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Also, I'd forgotten he played for HV71 pre-draft, and was only loaned to Frolunda. Makes a lot more sense now

He didn't want to play for Frölunda as a kid because he wanted to make it on his own, and not rely on his dad's legacy with Frölunda. Once he was drafted, he played a season with Frölunda and mid-season switched from 24 to 61 when Frölunda retired his dad's number. Lias was the last to wear his dad's number which was a nice gesture.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I’m curious if anyone else feels the same way that Gordie Clark and company for so long not having 1st and sometimes 2nd round draft picks always had to try and be more daring with their drafting and now that the organization has these great spots to pick at that the scouting staff overthinks their selections?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He didn't want to play for Frölunda as a kid because he wanted to make it on his own, and not rely on his dad's legacy with Frölunda. Once he was drafted, he played a season with Frölunda and mid-season switched from 24 to 61 when Frölunda retired his dad's number. Lias was the last to wear his dad's number which was a nice gesture.

Wheres he slot in with hv71? Figured youd have a better idea than most

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He could legitimately slot in as their 1C, ahead of Linus Froberg who isn't even that good. But if he's not the 1C, definitely slots in ahead of Joakim Andersson as the 2C. Should get a lot of PP time as well.

EDIT: Not that he would necessarily just step right into the 1C role. But he's probably the best center on their roster, at the moment.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I’m curious if anyone else feels the same way that Gordie Clark and company for so long not having 1st and sometimes 2nd round draft picks always had to try and be more daring with their drafting and now that the organization has these great spots to pick at that the scouting staff overthinks their selections?

Andersson was the first time in 5 years they had a 1st round pick, they likely wanted somebody who would surely be at least a 3rd/4th liner in NHL as opposed to complete bust. so far they have failed in their assessment of Lias and possibly Lias had some feet issues that he kept hidden from all or most NHL teams.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Apparently Rangers demanded a top line role on whatever team he would end up with. Frölunda couldnt accomodate those demands, HV could.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

With HV71, I feel the 1C position is up for grabs. Axel Holmström has been their 1st line center in recent weeks, with Joakim Andersson and Filip Sandberg slotting in behind him. Fröberg recently has been up and down the line-up. I feel Lias can have a bigger impact than any of these players if he gets back to full fitness. I expect him to start out as the 2C or 3C and work his way up in the coming weeks. Players need time to adjust to the team sometimes.

Lias will play with Alexander Bergström who came over from Traktor Chelyabinsk over the summer and played with Vitali Kravtsov last season

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
He could legitimately slot in as their 1C, ahead of Linus Froberg who isn't even that good. But if he's not the 1C, definitely slots in ahead of Joakim Andersson as the 2C. Should get a lot of PP time as well.

EDIT: Not that he would necessarily just step right into the 1C role. But he's probably the best center on their roster, at the moment.

Which speaks to how pathetically bad the Sweedish league is compared to the NHL if this clown can just show up and take a number one center spot.

Maybe Lias can trip over another chord when he’s introduced over there now... Bye Bye Lias— enjoy Sweden.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
You obviously missed the video where Detroit indicated they were picking him at number 9.

And look how that front office is doing identifying and developing talent over there in Detroit. The Rangers would have been extremely lucky if Detroit was stuck with this entitled guy.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I've always struggled with the idea that Lias wasn't a reach because Detroit also wanted him. Why does it suddenly make the pick correct, because another team also wants to take him that high? One other team wanting to step over a cliff with us does absolutely nothing to validate a pick, in my mind.

I eventually accepted that he wasn't as much of a reach as I first thought, based on how he had produced in his draft year. Not because the Red Wings said they wanted him two picks later.

If we hadn't taken Kakko at #2, but there was another team that also wouldn't of taken him, then that doesn't make it okay; it just means that there was another team that was wrong too.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Which speaks to how pathetically bad the Sweedish league is compared to the NHL if this clown can just show up and take a number one center spot.

Maybe Lias can trip over another chord when he’s introduced over there now... Bye Bye Lias— enjoy Sweden.

Well, the SHL is always considered to be on par/slightly better than the AHL. And Lias centered the top line in the AHL for Hartford. This shouldn't really be a surprise. HV71 doesn't have a clear-cut top line center so that spot is up for grabs to whoever wins it in practice.

I've always struggled with the idea that Lias wasn't a reach because Detroit also wanted him. Why does it suddenly make the pick correct, because another team also wants to take him that high? One other team wanting to step over a cliff with us does absolutely nothing to validate a pick, in my mind.

I eventually accepted that he wasn't as much of a reach as I first thought, based on how he had produced in his draft year. Not because the Red Wings said they wanted him two picks later.

If we hadn't taken Kakko at #2, but there was another team that also wouldn't of taken him, then that doesn't make it okay; it just means that there was another team that was wrong too.

My issue with the words "reach" and "steal" is that people automatically assume a reach is a bad thing and a steal is a good thing.

Chytil was a reach at 21, Scheifele was a reach at 7, Tkachuk was a reach at 4. Mittelstadt was a steal at 8, Wahlstrom was a steal at 12.

Lias, in hindsight, was a bad pick at 7 but on draft day, it's not as if there were clear-cut favorites we passed on. After Pettersson and Glass, there was a group of players all considered to be in the same tier, and Lias was part of that tier together with guys like Vilardi, Rasmussen, Tippett, Brännström and Nečas. If the reports are true that Detroit and LA were interested in Lias, it doesn't really change anything for me, except for the fact that he was considered by more than 1 scouting team to be worthy of a top-10 selection. And looking at the 2-3 seasons leading up to the 2017 NHL draft, there was enough to back up scouts thinking he had top-10 potential in a widely considered weak draft. His record-breaking season in SuperElit at age 17, being a contributor to a championship team in the SHL at age 18. It's not as if he was, as some maintain, not even good enough to be a 1st round pick on draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad