Prospect Info: Liam Ohgren LW, 19th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Called up today. Wasn't expecting that

weird...he wasn't exactly tearing up the AHL. Maybe this was part of a promise to Ohgren, and even more so, a signal to Yurov that immediate, or near immediate NHL TOI is in the cards should he decide to sign with the Wild.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Called up today. Wasn't expecting that

I'm not surprised. With the Wild officially eliminated from the post season, why not give him a game or two to see how far off he is? I still think its likely he plays the majority of next season in Iowa and will probably be the 1st call-up option if the Wild need a forward.

EDIT: Forgot about Firstov. I think he will get a few call-ups next season as well. Curious as to why he isn't getting called-up as well?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Love this move , these kids need a taste so they know where they’re at. Excellent decision. In a dreadful season having gotten to see Khus , Wally and Liam will be the highlights along with Rossi and Fabs

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Wabit

May 23, 2016
weird...he wasn't exactly tearing up the AHL. Maybe this was part of a promise to Ohgren, and even more so, a signal to Yurov that immediate, or near immediate NHL TOI is in the cards should he decide to sign with the Wild.

They have been running an 11 FWD, 7D lineup the last couple of games. So a FWD callup was needed. The choices to me were either Ohgren or Milne.

I do think they've learned from Boldy that they need to get the higher end prospects a taste of the NHL sooner rather than later.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
They have been running an 11 FWD, 7D lineup the last couple of games. So a FWD callup was needed. The choices to me were either Ohgren or Milne.

I do think they've learned from Boldy that they need to get the higher end prospects a taste of the NHL sooner rather than later.

What about Firstov?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Nice, excited to see him in action, perfect opportunity to get a taste of the league and an idea of things that will need to be focused on this summer.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don't see this as a promise but rather what all the fans wanted - more time/auditions for the youngsters to see what they can offer and give them a taste for a team out of the playoffs. Ohgren did play in a men's league in the last 2 seasons as well so it also easier to try him out sooner than another 20yr kid straight from the juniors.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I do think Milne or Walker should next in line. Milne because he's doing so well and Walker because it'll be the last chance before letting him go eventually. Maybe even Bankier to get a taste.

I think Walker is a known quantity as a callup at this point for MN. If MN was sitting in a Playoff spot I think he gets the nod over the kids that could use a look. No Playoffs means MN can look ahead to the future a little bit and others can get a look.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not surprised. With the Wild officially eliminated from the post season, why not give him a game or two to see how far off he is? I still think its likely he plays the majority of next season in Iowa and will probably be the 1st call-up option if the Wild need a forward.

EDIT: Forgot about Firstov. I think he will get a few call-ups next season as well. Curious as to why he isn't getting called-up as well?
I think Firstov might be less of a favored son than Ohgren. Also, there are bound to be grumbles as is when more deserving players like Hunt, Milne, Bankier, and Walker are ignored for guys who have done next to nothing in the AHL.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think Firstov might be less of a favored son than Ohgren. Also, there are bound to be grumbles as is when more deserving players like Hunt, Milne, Bankier, and Walker are ignored for guys who have done next to nothing in the AHL.

I wouldn't include Hunt. MN is already carrying too many d-men.

You can make an argument for some of the FWDs, but none of them have really excelled this year in the AHL.
-Walker has had chances, so I think that makes him more of a back burner compared to the others.
-Marat K is taking Bankier's possible spot.
-Firstov doesn't deserve any preferential treatment after 2 years in the KHL and not the AHL (guessing management perspective)
-Milne has bee injured half the season and isn't a recent high draft pick. He's my personal choice to get a callup.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Preseason I guess?

Odd phrasing for sure.

Someone on Twitter even asked him what he meant by that and his response was "it means what it says", so either me and that other guy are just dumb, or Russo is really goin through it today

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Who cares about the vets in Iowa? That team is a disaster. Ohgren was a 1st round pick who had a terrific season in the SHL. I like giving him a look now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad