LHD Olen Zellweger - San Diego Gulls, AHL (2021, 34th, ANA)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s special, beyond just compiling points. He’s clearly got that “it” factor in the way he plays that small guys need to make it at the pro level and as has been mentioned he’s not that tiny plus the way he skates with beautiful edges, agility and balance - I almost see his size as a benefit as he’s going to be really hard to hit or contain.

He’s a no doubter for me to be a modern, impact offensive play driving, breakout machine defender at the next level. I’d wager in 5 years we will be asking why he wasn’t a top 10 pick to be honest. He’s a real blue chip prospect IMO. Love the blueline the Ducks are building - skill, skating and energy for miles.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He’s special, beyond just compiling points. He’s clearly got that “it” factor in the way he plays that small guys need to make it at the pro level and as has been mentioned he’s not that tiny plus the way he skates with beautiful edges, agility and balance - I almost see his size as a benefit as he’s going to be really hard to hit or contain.

He’s a no doubter for me to be a modern, impact offensive play driving, breakout machine defender at the next level. I’d wager in 5 years we will be asking why he wasn’t a top 10 pick to be honest. He’s a real blue chip prospect IMO. Love the blueline the Ducks are building - skill, skating and energy for miles.

Yeah, someone rinsed me for suggesting he was a 1st round talent last year - WJC's will go to show just how good this kid is. Anaheim doesn't typically miss.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Ridiculous he wasn't a first rounder.
That’s the pandemic for you. I think it’s safe to say even those of who follow the WHL closely were surprised by his play in limited games last year.

The way he’s playing this year…if he was born a few days later he would firmly be in top-5 discussions for the 2022 draft. Does he have the track record to be selected for the WJC? We shall see.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean it’s always good to hedge the arrival time of a prospect to being an NHL regular…the jump is massive. Especially usually for undersized guys. But again if you look at a guy like Sam Girard - he became an NHL regular at age 19 as a very slight defenseman - he’s a beautiful skater, extremely shifty and cerebral - and he was brought into the fold by a team (Nashville) who knows exactly how to scout, develop and deploy defenseman and was surrounded by lots of good NHL defenders.

Owen is going to be in a very similar situation with another team who knows what they are doing with top tier defensive prospects, traditionally. So I wouldn’t put it past him to defy the development curve.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That’s the pandemic for you. I think it’s safe to say even those of who follow the WHL closely were surprised by his play in limited games last year.

The way he’s playing this year…if he was born a few days later he would firmly be in top-5 discussions for the 2022 draft. Does he have the track record to be selected for the WJC? We shall see.
And yet, if he were 6'2 and physical these teams would have been tripping over themselves to pick him in the top 32. It's just baffling to me that this league watched Zellweger and Nolan Allan play in the same league and at the same u18 tournament and decided Allan was the better player.

Zellweger was super young. He was super productive. And he was an exceptional skater. He checked every box except height. There were pretty much no other holes in his game or profile. I thought I was going crazy having this guy 13th overall while no credible source in the public sphere could even agree this kid was a consensus first rounder.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
And yet, if he were 6'2 and physical these teams would have been tripping over themselves to pick him in the top 32. It's just baffling to me that this league watched Zellweger and Nolan Allan play in the same league and at the same u18 tournament and decided Allan was the better player.

Zellweger was super young. He was super productive. And he was an exceptional skater. He checked every box except height. There were pretty much no other holes in his game or profile. I thought I was going crazy having this guy 13th overall while no credible source in the public sphere could even agree this kid was a consensus first rounder.

100%, that one is not going to age well for Chicago

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean it’s always good to hedge the arrival time of a prospect to being an NHL regular…the jump is massive. Especially usually for undersized guys. But again if you look at a guy like Sam Girard - he became an NHL regular at age 19 as a very slight defenseman - he’s a beautiful skater, extremely shifty and cerebral - and he was brought into the fold by a team (Nashville) who knows exactly how to scout, develop and deploy defenseman and was surrounded by lots of good NHL defenders.

Owen is going to be in a very similar situation with another team who knows what they are doing with top tier defensive prospects, traditionally. So I wouldn’t put it past him to defy the development curve.
He looked really good at all of our camps, i doubt we see him anytime soon tho, well take our time with him.... we have lindholm/folwer here already... and guys like Thrun and Zellweger should be allowed to develop and gain strength for as long as they need.

I wont lie tho... im pretty excited about his potential.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Lukas Cormier was like Sam Girard. Now Zellweger is like Girard. Neither of them is like Girard.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Ducks got an absolute steals with him and Sasha Pastujov.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He played really well tonight in Canadas scrimmage against the university all stars. He was paired with Sebrango whose a stay at home guy that can skate really well and they had really good chemistry. I think they probably played themselves onto the team tonight alone, and would be surprised now if they werent a pairing when the pretourney games start. Those 2 were head and shoulders above the rest of the dmen out there

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
If you watch the video above and count the number of hits thrown or even just the body contacts or boxing out in the slot you realize why he, most likely, won't go anywhere near the first round. The exact same problem was visible at the WJC18 as well. He's one of the younger players so he has that going for him but the red flags are there. Some upside is there but at this point he's a gamble and quite the project.

WHOOPS

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad