Let's turn the tables for a bit

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Isn't Draisaitl on a different line than McDavid? I thought he was their 2nd line center?

Sometimes he is, sometimes he isn't. But from what I understand, they played together around 50% of the time this year.

Still, even besides them playing together, if Drai were to come here, he would be the #1 guy for other teams to focus on. Either way, he is benefiting greatly from having McDavid, whether it's playing with him or taking the tough matchups.

Reactions: haveandare

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
It's close, don't get me wrong, yet

JE remaining 7 years 10M cap hit

KK 3 year entry level than maybe something like that. possible 11 years.

I think there is value in those 4 years that will go beyond the difference in position and risk

Not to be condescending, but it seems a little absurd to value 3 years of beneficial cap hits over the guarantee of a bona fide #1 center.

KK is not a sure thing. He's close to it, but it's premature to pen him in for 80 points in this league. Eichel is already there and only a few years older than KK.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
The problem with Eichel is the contract. An elite talent on an ELC is just solid gold.

If I was going to be enticed to move the pick, I'd want someone like Peterrson. Connor McDavid would be nice too.

KK is very exciting. And I'm 99.9% sure he is the guy we are ending up with. But I think it's short-sighted to just assume he is going to be a 40-40 player in the NHL.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
KK is very exciting. And I'm 99.9% sure he is the guy we are ending up with. But I think it's short-sighted to just assume he is going to be a 40-40 player in the NHL.

I'd risk that he comes in even a little lesser than Eichel for the reward of the extra years.

McDavid, who has franchise if not generational ceilings, sure I'm making that deal.

Matthew I not sure generational but franchise ceiling, I'd go there too even if his contract terms are shorter.

Eichel, I'd put a little behind those two, even with production levels last seaosn favoring Eichel, Matthews missed games.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I'd risk that he comes in even a little lesser than Eichel for the reward of the extra years.

McDavid, who has franchise if not generational ceilings, sure I'm making that deal.

Matthew I not sure generational but franchise ceiling, I'd go there too even if his contract terms are shorter.

Eichel, I'd put a little behind those two, even with production levels last seaosn favoring Eichel, Matthews missed games.

But the risk isn't that he comes in 'a little' lesser, it's that he comes in significantly lesser.

What is the high-end we are looking at with KK, assuming everything goes according to plan, 40-40?

Eichel is already an 80 point player. I just don't see how you don't take a sure bet, over something that is not sure. Moreover, it is unlikely we have seen the best from Eichel.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

You're right that we can't assume he'll be that player, but the odds are very high that he will be a franchise talent. I'm willing to take that risk over trying to deal the pick for adequate value.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
But the risk isn't that he comes in 'a little' lesser, it's that he comes in significantly lesser.

What is the high-end we are looking at with KK, assuming everything goes according to plan, 40-40?

Eichel is already an 80 point player. I just don't see how you don't take a sure bet, over something that is not sure. Moreover, it is unlikely we have seen the best from Eichel.

I am not against your point, as I said it's close, I just don't see the Rangers with Eichel as a contender next year, the year after, by then two more years are gone off his deal. and that could still turn to three four years, etc

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I’m not sure there is a deal to be had. Getting a game breaker on an ELC is quite literally a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I struggle to think of a scenario.

Trading out from top two means increased risk on ceilings.

Trading for someone who is in the same talent range, means you're either acquiring an established player who has proven their abilities (and thus will be coming in at a higher price point), or you're acquiring a guy who has some question marks.

One of the big reasons players like Hughes/Kakko are coveted is because of the talent/cost crossover.

Forget what they might be in their primes, you're potentially getting some very good production at a lower price point than if you paid a veteran player.

For example, let's say Kakko scores 20 goals and 40 points next season, 25/50 the next year, and 25/60 the year after.

For a very reasonable contract, you just netted 70 goals and 150 points over a three year span. Even the next contract isn't as likely to match the cost of having to go out and bid for talent at that level. Alternatively, that next contract brings with it the possibility of costing you more over the short-term, but providing a significant discount over a longer period of time.

So in addition to talent, there's the ROI to consider. Generally speaking, those young elite talents provide a significant cost savings compared to older, but similar production.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm with your. For Svechnikov or a Zadina, I would not. For a Draisatil though? That is a horse of a different color that would need to be contemplated.
Drai has too many question marks imo. I’d be very upset if they moved this pick for him

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if the pick is going to be KK, and with his upside and universal acceptance as a top 1 or 2 player in this draft, there is no way we do anything other than draft, develop and profit from the player that is KAAPO KAKKO

this is a very highly skilled guy. very. hes young, cheap and represents the rebuild personified.

his upside is barkov with some kovalev and jagr mixed in

welcome to broadway buddy.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Maybe in a situation where the other team is under an imminent cap crunch and needs the cheap elc, like Toronto or Winnipeg.

I would accept no less than Marner or Matthews but realistically it would be like a mix of players like Nylander, Kapanen, Dermott, Lilegrin, Sandin, their 1st.

Winnipeg. Laine? Connor? +Vesalainen?

But then the Rangers are shelling out 10+ mil and handing away an elite young talent for cheap and extends the other teams cup window for several years.

The excitement of drafting and developing a homegrown elite talent pretty much makes the 2nd overall untouchable.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You would also have to consider that if Kakko turns into someone truly historic, we will have been the team who traded him/that pick.

It's not worth the risk.

The gods shone upon us... I'm fine with whoever we draft.

Sorry I know this wasn't the point of this thread

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
If the Devils surprised and took Kakko, and we were on the clock when Vancouver called wanting to unite the Hughes brothers, I'd take Pettersson and the 10th overall for Hughes and Winnipeg's 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: danktopshelf

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
If the Devils surprised and took Kakko, and we were on the clock when Vancouver called wanting to unite the Hughes brothers, I'd take Pettersson and the 10th overall for Hughes and Winnipeg's 1st.

I’m not trading Winnipeg’s first. If Vancouver wanted him that bad, they can pony up for it.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I just don't see a match for the rangers...either we would want too much or the other teams would laugh at the offer... .I guess that's kinda the same thing... Either way I just don't see a match anywhere

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Untouchable.

Aside from like you mentioned, a McDavid player...aka a young franchise player, I dont want to part with Kakko(hughes).

Reactions: Ori

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
I wonder if the NHL is turning into the NFL where a QB on a rookie contract who can compete (Wentz/Goff) is the gold standard for winning a Super Bowl, other than Brady who takes less money to win because he has a super model wealthy wife and doesn't need the money.

Doesn't seem to translate to the NHL however. No matter how good a young prospect is it still seems to take a few years to actually be highly effective. The problem is when you have to start paying market rate - seems like a small window ie Winnipeg before you have to break up the gang, like the Blackhawks did. The Bruins are incredibly lucky because there great top line has 3 guys all tremendously underpaid for varying reasons. Managing this issue is a really big deal to succeed in the league now. I would hold on the young high end talent at all costs (no pun intented).

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Boesser, Woo, 'nucks 1st (#10?) for #2 + promising young player, but not elite prospect
I suspect 'nucks would be more tempted if its Hughes and join the brothers

If they wont move Boesser,
either forget it,
or maybe plug in Horvat* or Virtanen (bigger, RHS) instead and drop the NYR add

not saying i choose this option (esp w/o Boesser,) just playing along

*would be funny to have Horvat, who was picked using NJD's pick traded by (now NYI) Lou

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I would trade the 2 pick for like

McDavid
MacKinnon
Barkov
Dahlin

There are some other player I’d consider it for but it doesn’t really matter because those teams wouldn’t do it.

I wouldn’t trade Kakko (or Hughes) for anything that is realistic.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I wonder if the NHL is turning into the NFL where a QB on a rookie contract who can compete (Wentz/Goff) is the gold standard for winning a Super Bowl, other than Brady who takes less money to win because he has a super model wealthy wife and doesn't need the money.

Doesn't seem to translate to the NHL however. No matter how good a young prospect is it still seems to take a few years to actually be highly effective. The problem is when you have to start paying market rate - seems like a small window ie Winnipeg before you have to break up the gang, like the Blackhawks did. The Bruins are incredibly lucky because there great top line has 3 guys all tremendously underpaid for varying reasons. Managing this issue is a really big deal to succeed in the league now. I would hold on the young high end talent at all costs (no pun intented).

It is really impossible to compare leagues due to the way contracts work. For example, baseball doesn't have a salary cap. Football doesn't have fully guaranteed contracts. NBA has all of these strange max contract, rules, etc....

But even if you ignore all of those facts, the NHL is really unique in that it is truly a team sport. While one player can have an enormous impact, he still only plays, at best, around 30% of the game. It is a sport where it is really one of the hardest for an individual player to carry a team. I mean, just look at the Oilers, two absolute studs in McDavid and Draisaitl and didn't make the playoffs.

I think that's why you see not only enormous parity, but quite a few blueprints as to how to build a successful team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad