Let's turn the tables for a bit

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is no need to debate about who the Rangers should take with their first pick. No more Byram vs. Cozens, Turcotte vs. Zegras. But let's play the pretend game. We have used such terms as Godfather deals and "Make me trade him" before. What would it take for Gorton to actually trade the pick?

Let's be clear. I am not advocating this and am elated to take Kappo. Or If the Devils play a switcheroo, Hughes. Nor am I looking to trade out. But what do you believe would it take? Or do you believe there is just no way that Gorton pulls a trigger, no matter what?

And please, let's keep this realistic. We know that Edmonton is not trading McDavid.

Reactions: McRanger

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There seems to be no value in exploring trading this pick. The Rangers biggest deficiency is lack of elite players. This pick seems to provide the highest probability of getting one. Either 1A or 1B seem to be likely elite level.

I disagree. There is always value in exploring. You never know what may be out there. I think it is more of fans not wanting JG to explore trading this pick because we want them to pick 2nd overall and take Kakko. But believe me, if Gorton is presented with an offer he cannot refuse, we will not be picking 2nd. I don't think it happens but you absolutely have to do your due dilligence.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But believe me, if Gorton is presented with an offer he cannot refuse, we will not be picking 2nd. I don't think it happens but you absolutely have to do your due dilligence.
This is exactly right. Like you, I doubt (and very, very highly so) that this will occur. But I think that when rebuilding, all options need to be explored. If Gorton has not turned over all the stones, then he has not properly performed his duties to the franchise.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This is exactly right. Like you, I doubt (and very, very highly so) that this will occur. But I think that when rebuilding, all options need to be explored. If Gorton has not turned over all the stones, then he has not properly performed his duties to the franchise.
Yep. I think what makes it so tough is the lack of precedent for these kind of trades. Most of the top 5 picks that have ever been traded were the result of a trade condition earlier in the season where a team had the right to swap draft picks with another team. The only flat out trades I could find were during the Sedin's draft and when the Pen's traded up from #3 - #1 for Fleury.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Ok, but who?

Nothing I can think of sounds realistic.

There's two things at play here:

1. The Rangers are (and have been for decades) in desperate need of an elite talent they can build around. KK gives them that possibility.

Furthermore, the Rangers don't need quantity, even of good quality. They need a game-breaker.

Therefore, I would only entertain moving this pick if we are effectively guaranteed someone who is as good/better than KK.

Which brings me to my second point:

2. Any team I can think of who has that guy (also he needs to be relatively young to fit the developing core of this team), will not move him.

I think the closest realistic scenarios are ones that were being discussed in the other thread.

For example, would you trade the pick for Svechnikov? I don't think Carolina would do this.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
So the cost to move from 4 to 2 is Kaut and Makar? That is highly unrealistic.

While I do feel it would need to be an offer that would blow JG out of the water, that one is just too far out of the realm of possibility.

The difference between 2 and 4 is quite much and (potential) franchise players aren't cheap. NYR 2nd could be Winnigpeg 1st, if that equals it a bit. Or Ottawa first plus Makar for NYR first, because Winnipeg first for Kaut could easily be seen as a 'seperate' deal.

Anyway, that is the kind of offer that should be made to trade #2 overall. Kakko and Hughes are just too good.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think there is anything beyond what was taken 1st overall or should have been in the recent drafts which I'd trade the pick for and at that point those teams are not making the trade anyway.

Dahlin, Pettersson, Matthews, McDavid, etc where it's just not happening.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

1. The Rangers are (and have been for decades) in desperate need of an elite talent they can build around. KK gives them that possibility.

Furthermore, the Rangers don't need quantity, even of good quality. They need a game-breaker.

Therefore, I would only entertain moving this pick if we are effectively guaranteed someone who is as good/better than KK.

2. Any team I can think of who has that guy (also he needs to be relatively young to fit the developing core of this team), will not move him.

I think the closest realistic scenarios are ones that were being discussed in the other thread.

For example, would you trade the pick for Svechnikov? I don't think Carolina would do this.

Isn't Kakko projected to be even better than Svechnikov? If so, I don't do that trade either lol.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Brooksie quoted the idea of Edmonton offering Leon Draisaitl.

No one is debating that they need a game breaker and elite level talent. But if a Buffalo comes to a realization that they will not be competitive for another 3 years and offers Eichel, do you bite? Or maybe they decide that Kakko will be his equal, but at a lower price tag?

I did not make this post with the thought of the Rangers adding quantity. I made with the idea of adding quality. So my question is what would it look like? Or do you believe that it is simply not going to happen?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I’m not sure the Rangers do either.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Isn't Kakko projected to be even better than Svechnikov? If so, I don't do that trade either lol.

I'm not sure I do this as the Rangers, but let's say Carolina adds something. My point is, this is probably the most realistic realm of possibility. Also, Svechnikov had a very nice season. Projections are great, but Svechnikov is more of the sure thing at this point. It's just a matter of if he reaches his game-breaking potential.

Brooksie quoted the idea of Edmonton offering Leon Draisaitl.

No one is debating that they need a game breaker and elite level talent. But if a Buffalo comes to a realization that they will not be competitive for another 3 years and offers Eichel, do you bite? Or maybe they decide that Kakko will be his equal, but at a lower price tag?

I did not make this post with the thought of the Rangers adding quantity. I made with the idea of adding quality. So my question is what would it look like? Or do you believe that it is simply not going to happen?

Draisaitl I probably don't. Maybe it seems crazy, but I'd be far to fearful he is a product of McDavid. We need a guy who can score 40-50 on his own.

I was thinking about Eichel as one of the few players where there might exist some distant possibility. I stil don't think Buffalo does that. But, yes, I'd bite.

In regards to your last statement, I simply don't think it's going to happen. It's not logical for the Rangers or other teams. The guys that would need to be made available for this to happen (again, young, elite players) are very unlikely to be made available and anything less than that, the Rangers shouldn't entertain.

But I still find it fun to speculate ;)

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Brady Tkachuk and Ottawa first rounder.

Or Barkov and Ekblad for Skjei and the first.

In short: I don’t see a realistic situation in which case both parties would benefit.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I'm not sure I do this as the Rangers, but let's say Carolina adds something. My point is, this is probably the most realistic realm of possibility. Also, Svechnikov had a very nice season. Projections are great, but Svechnikov is more of the sure thing at this point. It's just a matter of if he reaches his game-breaking potential.

Draisaitl I probably don't. Maybe it seems crazy, but I'd be far to fearful he is a product of McDavid. We need a guy who can score 40-50 on his own.

I was thinking about Eichel as one of the few players where there might exist some distant possibility. I stil don't think Buffalo does that. But, yes, I'd bite.

In regards to your last statement, I simply don't think it's going to happen. It's not logical for the Rangers or other teams. The guys that would need to be made available for this to happen (again, young, elite players) are very unlikely to be made available and anything less than that, the Rangers shouldn't entertain.

But I still find it fun to speculate ;)

Isn't Draisaitl on a different line than McDavid? I thought he was their 2nd line center?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Sorry, but what is your reasoning behind Eichel. He is a 22 year old, 80 point center. I don't see how you pass that up for the potential of a KK.

It's close, don't get me wrong, yet

JE remaining 7 years 10M cap hit

KK 3 year entry level than maybe something like that. possible 11 years.

I think there is value in those 4 years that will go beyond the difference in position and risk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad