Let's turn the tables for a bit

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
There seems to be no value in exploring trading this pick.

It's a thought exercise. There is great value in thinking even if you know you're thinking of the impossible. We got some of the greatest stories of all time bc people dream up impossible situations.

You shouldn't post in threads like these if you're only capable of trying to convince everyone not to play along

The reason to trade this is imo to get

one already established elite player or

a mixture of picks plus a prospect (or mix of prospects). One prospect must be considered to be on the same level that say tarasenko was on when he was coming to the league.

Essentially you need near guaranteed all star talent and you'd need it to be able to join the team now. Then you need some extra to justify losing out on the multitude of years that you hypothetically should have Kakko for.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Ottawa first, Kaut and Makar for NYR 1st and 2nd.
I see what u did here. Lmfao. I am left LAUGHING at Colorado right now. They laughed at Rangers fans proposals for Ottawa's 1st. They felt very secure in their skin with possibly 2 lottery chances. Lo and behold, they made the PO's, only to make a quick exit and NO 1 or 2OA. They didn't want Hayes and some made fun of how he was just having a lucky season and someone mentioned his brother. We got the last laugh.
Enjoy getting swept by Calgary and keep Makar and Gibbons for all I care.

Reactions: DutchNYR

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If the Devils surprised and took Kakko, and we were on the clock when Vancouver called wanting to unite the Hughes brothers, I'd take Pettersson and the 10th overall for Hughes and Winnipeg's 1st.
Thats a nice thought (dare I say, even a possibility "if" the Devils take Kaako........)
But, even though that seems somewhat fair, J would want MORE. We don't NEED to make that trade. How badly do they wanna play Mommy and Daddy? Make them pay.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The Rangers have never had a #2 pick. Can u imagine the uproar if he were traded for ANYONE other than McDavid or Eichel+?
I read much of this thread, everything has been covered. Sorry, i have nothing to offer.

Reactions: haveandare

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The McDavid thing is a non starter. He is a true generational talent. Kakko is not.

If McDavid was asking out, which he isn't yet, it would take something like #2 + Kravtsov + Skjei + 1st for them to be able to save face for their fans and around the league. And as awesome as it would be to have McDavid in NY thats pretty much cleans us out. Thats like what the Flyers gave up for Lindros

Reactions: haveandare

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers have never had a #2 pick. Can u imagine the uproar if he were traded for ANYONE other than McDavid or Eichel+?
I read much of this thread, everything has been covered. Sorry, i have nothing to offer.

But it’s just that, I do not think it’s totally and utterly impossible that Gorton would get that kind of offers.

These teams are right up against the cap often. Like Winnipeg with Laine. Like Calgary with Tkachuk and so forth. What is wrong in Buffalo? Berglund gave up his career to get out. Housley was fired again. Eichel?

I talked with a friend the other day who is very knowledgeable and a good talent evaluator. Asked him about Kakko, he said that he is amazing in the Liiga. But that after Puljujärvi struggling so much, he is a little gun with Kakko being a bit of an awkward skater.

I am not saying that Gorton should execute even a trade like that. But my point is just, Kakko isn’t Matthews. There will be serious consideration between Kakko and other kids mentioned in the 3-6 range too. If Winnipeg calls you and offers Laine or Buffalo calls you and offers up Eichel I don’t think it’s an easy decision for Gorts.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Untouchable.

Aside from like you mentioned, a McDavid player...aka a young franchise player, I dont want to part with Kakko(hughes).

Yes this - u don`t trade 18 years elite with 23 years old, that like 5 years with hockey. Maybe only player I would in a distant scenario is Jack hughes, because he is center and only 17 years old with dynamic skills with a huge upside in some years into his development.

I`m not fond of this topic by the way, because guys will mention their old favourite NHL player who are not very good at scouting, or how to measure value at all. 17-18 years elite players is big no, no in exchange of 22-25 years elite and I dont care about stats, because no scout in this world know how many points Kakko will get in his first NHL season, or his exact development pattern in the next 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larrybiv

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thats like what the Flyers gave up for Lindros
True. Will say that one can make an argument that were it not for the injuries, it was just a matter of time until Lindros hoisted the Cup over his head. People remember the damaged version, but Lindros was a true generational talent. He was awesome. He took over games by himself. Would take a healthy Lindros over a Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, etc.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
True. Will say that one can make an argument that were it not for the injuries, it was just a matter of time until Lindros hoisted the Cup over his head. People remember the damaged version, but Lindros was a true generational talent. He was awesome. He took over games by himself. Would take a healthy Lindros over a Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, etc.

I don't know who had more on an impact on the Rangers that is never talked about, Guy Lafleur for going home to Quebec (and getting the Zubov pick) or Larry Bertuzzi for ruling in favor of Philly over the Rangers. That trade was way too much and Colorado kind of won a Cup from it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That trade was way too much and Colorado kind of won a Cup from it.
Devil's advocate time. The trade was for a legit generational talent. I would put a healthy Lindros as the next best player in recent memory, once you subtract Gretzky & Maryo. It actually may not be close to the next one.

Injuries destroyed him. I believe that while Colorado benefited and definitely won the Cup, if Stevens does not destroy him, inevitably Lindros lifts the Cup over his head.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The McDavid thing is a non starter. He is a true generational talent. Kakko is not.
I know, but that's really the only way i trade that pick (which i know would be a non starter for oilers). Kakko is a potential franchise player, and we will have him right at the age of 18, something we have never had since i've been a Ranger fan, there is nothing i'm trading him for unless it's some unrealistic return.

I'm still trying to make sure this isn't some sick dream and wake up and find out we moved down to the 8th spot in the draft :laugh:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Devil's advocate time. The trade was for a legit generational talent. I would put a healthy Lindros as the next best player in recent memory, once you subtract Gretzky & Maryo. It actually may not be close to the next one.

Injuries destroyed him. I believe that while Colorado benefited and definitely won the Cup, if Stevens does not destroy him, inevitably Lindros lifts the Cup over his head.

Forsberg was just a slight level below Lindros. Both has very similar careers stats wise and also with injuries.

There's a clutch factor too. Rangers had guys like Kovalev and Zubov who stepped it up in the playoffs. As we've seen time and again with stars, no guarantee Lindros does.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Forsberg was just a slight level below Lindros. Both has very similar careers stats wise and also with injuries.

There's a clutch factor too. Rangers had guys like Kovalev and Zubov who stepped it up in the playoffs. As we've seen time and again with stars, no guarantee Lindros does.
Interesting debate, Lindros vs. Forsberg. You are spot on regarding injuries. That said, all things being equal, I would take a healthy Lindros over a healthy Forsberg.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm still trying to make sure this isn't some sick dream and wake up and find out we moved down to the 8th spot in the draft :laugh:
Given the history of this franchise, let's not even go there.

The fact that we are discussing Kakko and not hoping that Boldy drops to us is a minor miracle in itself.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If McDavid was asking out, which he isn't yet, it would take something like #2 + Kravtsov + Skjei + 1st for them to be able to save face for their fans and around the league. And as awesome as it would be to have McDavid in NY thats pretty much cleans us out. Thats like what the Flyers gave up for Lindros

The salary cap has completely changed the dynamic of trades. Having top, young players is necessary to win now. We will never see another Lindros type deal again IMO.

No matter what McDavid returned, it would be underwhelming for the fans. I don't see any team offering up the type of package you proposed if McDavid decided he wanted out.

I think it would end up being something more like #2OA + 1st rounder 2020 + young prospect/NHL player.

It's obviously not what McDavid is worth, but they won't get what he is worth, especially if he demanded a trade, which is the only way he'd be moved in the first place.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
How about we just take Hughes or Kakko and call it a day? K? K.

Because it's fun to mess around?

Logic dictates that the team will end up keeping the pick, and I haven't seen the OP or anyone else arguing to the contrary, but it's still fun to have the discussion, especially since we have a long off-season ahead of us.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I wonder if the NHL is turning into the NFL where a QB on a rookie contract who can compete (Wentz/Goff) is the gold standard for winning a Super Bowl, other than Brady who takes less money to win because he has a super model wealthy wife and doesn't need the money.

Doesn't seem to translate to the NHL however. No matter how good a young prospect is it still seems to take a few years to actually be highly effective. The problem is when you have to start paying market rate - seems like a small window ie Winnipeg before you have to break up the gang, like the Blackhawks did. The Bruins are incredibly lucky because there great top line has 3 guys all tremendously underpaid for varying reasons. Managing this issue is a really big deal to succeed in the league now. I would hold on the young high end talent at all costs (no pun intented).

It was less of an issue under the old NHL, even for teams with a self-imposed cap, when being an RFA meant you still weren't being handed top contracts. If we were still under the old system, there is no way McDavid gets a $100M deal @ 20 years old. That would have been a deal he gets at 26/27.

And speaking of the old NHL, it was better as a fan when you didn't need to study accounting to follow your team. The only numbers you had to worry about was the players stats.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Because it's fun to mess around?

Logic dictates that the team will end up keeping the pick, and I haven't seen the OP or anyone else arguing to the contrary, but it's still fun to have the discussion, especially since we have a long off-season ahead of us.

It's not really fun at all, just a giant waste of time and I truly don't understand why it has to be discussed.

Each to their own though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->