Let's Trade Zack Smith

Milan the God*

Seriously.

Everyone was on the hype train (including myself) in 2011. He looked like he could be a great third line centre - offensively, defensively and physically. In the 2011-12 season, he had 11 goals in his first 38 games. That was amazing production for his role as the third line centre. Everybody had high hopes for him.

The struggles started. He finished the year with only 14 goals - three in the final 44 games to end the year. He did not score in the seven game series against the Rangers, either. In fact, he missed a gimme.

Last season he once again disappointed, with only four goals in 48 games. He scored one goal in the ten playoff games.

The offense isn't there, clearly. The defense is alright, although he takes a ton of bad penalties.

He's become a momentum killer for Ottawa, and isn't putting up the offense to compensate for it. Every shot is right into the goalies chest.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
We need to add one guy who can fight the middleweights to replace Smith. Seriously, that's his thing at this point. Maybe a little bit his face-offs - but they're just average on a lousy face-off team.

I wish Greening would fight more, but he's a little too Mike Fisher. Only fights when he's mad, rather than when it's needed.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Who would be the most likely takers?

Edmonton has terrible centre depth, not sure how much I would like what we could get though

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
Would be my first choice to be moved in order to upgrade the bottom pair.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The Greening/Smith/Neil combo just needs to end.

In particular, Smith is bad here. He's so slow in the neutral zone and leaves no play for his wingers to gain the zone. Greening gets it on the open wing and takes about 1.5 seconds to decide what he's going to do. He either dumps it too late to the opposite corner for Neil to fore check or stops up at the half wall and turns back to either lose the puck or just put it onto the stick of someone who's totally covered.

Bad bad bad line. The top two lines are looking like they've found good chemistry and combinations but the bottom lines need to find a way to contribute more consistently on a shift to shift basis.

Smith is definitely a guy who should sit BUT again its tough because they need face off wins and a lefty to take draws. Murray needs to find a guy to replace him from outside or within the organization.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Would be my first choice to be moved in order to upgrade the bottom pair.

Any interest in picking up Clitsome? He and Methot are good buddies, but I haven't watched the Jets at all this year. I thought he was decent for a bottom pair though last year

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Good luck.

4 years, 1.8755M.

h3557E74E

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
It feels like piling on but I have to agree with the OP. I was a big Smith fan but he hasn't been getting it done for too long now. I'm just not certain we've got anyone in the pipeline who can bring what we'd like Smith to bring.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Funny how just like two months ago, I suggested moving Smith to Edmonton for Hemsky, and was met with a rousing round of boos.

And then when the rumor was going around (on the Oilers boards) that Hemsky-for-Smith might be a thing, everyone was negative about it.

Funny how 2 months can change things so drastically...

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I'm not against it at all but I'm betting MacStache would break down and weep. He freakin' loves the guy. He'd probably be begging BM to reconsider.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Funny how just like two months ago, I suggested moving Smith to Edmonton for Hemsky, and was met with a rousing round of boos.

And then when the rumor was going around (on the Oilers boards) that Hemsky-for-Smith might be a thing, everyone was negative about it.

Funny how 2 months can change things so drastically...

I like Hemsky, but I don't see where he'd fit on this team.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I hate Z. Smith, I'd trade him asap.

BUT!!!!!!!!

He can actually win draws, Only he and Spezza can win draws.. We kind of need him at least for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad