Let's Trade Zack Smith

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Karlsson doesn't get his head out of his ass and get ready to battle he might be on the trade block. Rumours in Ottawa he's not to motivated to play this year - who knows what is going on behind the scenes but it certainly looks like he isn't 100% ready to start the season. Maybe it's the flu, mabe it's Alfie, maybe it's ownership, but if this is the Erik Karlsson we got from now on, Ottawa will be a 10-15 NHL mid-team instead of a 3-6 top-NHL Team

I know he's coming off an injury and the Pens showed the league last year what his weaknesses were, but Karlsson is soft this year, he isn't getting in on guys and he isn't skating.

I'm not sure if I should hope he's just unmotivated or he is injured? Which would be better??

I don't think we'll see the real Erik Karlsson until October 23rd against Alfie, we'll see where his head is at in that game. If he's 100% committed to Ottawa or if he has lost his motivation to be in Ottawa.

Perhaps his heads not in it but I don't think its for the same reasons you do. It has nothing to do with Alfie IMHO. Maybe the young swede from a small town is just starting to realize what he is in North America....

Multi millionaire good looking 22 year old with fame and stardom out of almost no where. Plus his wife is back home in Sweden studying, no one to keep him in check perhaps? Just speculation but I know what its like when my GF leaves and im not a 22 or a millionaire... These guys aren't robots they are human too, the realization of the superstar life while trying to overcome what can be a career ending injury isn't the easiest thing to deal with mentally

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Karlsson doesn't get his head out of his ass and get ready to battle he might be on the trade block. Rumours in Ottawa he's not to motivated to play this year - who knows what is going on behind the scenes but it certainly looks like he isn't 100% ready to start the season. Maybe it's the flu, mabe it's Alfie, maybe it's ownership, but if this is the Erik Karlsson we got from now on, Ottawa will be a 10-15 NHL mid-team instead of a 3-6 top-NHL Team

I know he's coming off an injury and the Pens showed the league last year what his weaknesses were, but Karlsson is soft this year, he isn't getting in on guys and he isn't skating.

I'm not sure if I should hope he's just unmotivated or he is injured? Which would be better??

I don't think we'll see the real Erik Karlsson until October 23rd against Alfie, we'll see where his head is at in that game. If he's 100% committed to Ottawa or if he has lost his motivation to be in Ottawa.

I don't even know where to start.

He's been ass - those are the only facts in your rambling post.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

If karlsson can't get over alfie leaving, then he needs to grow up. He is being payed to play. He is not being payed to go into a deep depression because his butt buddy left.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't even know where to start.

He's been ass - those are the only facts in your rambling post.

It's not rambling at all. Maclean said he didn't look sharp in pre-season, now Galley, Simmer, York, basically anyone who has watched all 6 games is unanimous that Karlsson isn't playing well. Some say it's the injury, others motivation, we all have our ideas, but we all agree he has looked not good, or at least not up to any standard you want Karlsson to play at.

I'm still a fan, but to watch him and come to the conclusion that he is anything but underwhelming is foolish.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It's not rambling at all. Maclean said he didn't look sharp in pre-season, now Galley, Simmer, York, basically anyone who has watched all 6 games is unanimous that Karlsson isn't playing well. Some say it's the injury, others motivation, we all have our ideas, but we all agree he has looked not good, or at least not up to any standard you want Karlsson to play at.

I'm still a fan, but to watch him and come to the conclusion that he is anything but underwhelming is foolish.

I am more inclined to say its probably the injury and mental problems that are causing him to play bad. But if it is unmotivation, someone needs to beat the **** out of him and get him motivated. If it is actually unmotivation and it is because of everything that happened in the offseason, then i lost some respect for him as a player.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Unless Karlsson completely falls apart the next several seasons he's not going to be traded.

A team lives and dies with it's drafted stars.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
He's a fourth liner with little value what are we suppose to trade him for?

The guy had good enough production for a fourth liner too.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Off topic I know, but I think Karlsson will be fine. Mac is playing the @#$# out of him, with 30 minutes in Phoenix. As demonstrated last year in the playoffs, the coach has no difficulty cutting Karlsson's ice time if he thinks he is struggling. I watched him closely in the Coyotes game, and he is still our best puck moving defenceman by a significant margin. No, he doesn't have that same jump to his game that we have seen at times, but I think that will come back by the second half of the season.

They say it takes a full year to truly recover from that Achilles surgery, and he is still four months away from that...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Like I said, the only fact is that he's not playing well.

Everything else is panicked speculation.

If he was playing like crap and the team was playing well, I'd be more concerned.

As it is, everyone (except for maybe Turris and Ryan) has looked worse than they have in a long while.

I see that as a positive.

That first period against Phoenix was the best period they've played this year. Hopefully they continue to build on that tonight.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Lots of Pageau hate. You try playing with Kassian.

Looks good when Ryan is on his line double shifting.

Pageau will be fine but he needs bonafide 3rd line minutes without kassian...he is being wasted on the 4th line. might as well send him to bingo.

he Needs to fix up his draws a bit but the whole team needs to do that as well. Wingers are struggling at helping the centers and the D are slow reacting to pucks and leaving guys open. The struggles in the dot are a whole team effort. This should be #1 priority.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There are four or five guys on this team I would trade before Smith. The top three lines are playing fine it's the 4th line that needs to be changed. The Da Costa experiment is over & he'll be in Bingo soon & Pageau should be sent to Bingo too to get more seasoning. PM/BM should consider bringing up Zibaenajd & Grant to replace Pageau & Da Costa. Not only would they bring more size they could be better defensively, at faceoffs & add some offence to a team desperate to score more. If they benched Condra they could also bring up Hoffman & create a decent line. Hoffman - Grant - Zibanejad.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Like I said, the only fact is that he's not playing well.

Everything else is panicked speculation.

If he was playing like crap and the team was playing well, I'd be more concerned.

As it is, everyone (except for maybe Turris and Ryan) has looked worse than they have in a long while.

I see that as a positive.

That first period against Phoenix was the best period they've played this year. Hopefully they continue to build on that tonight.

This is my main point, if Karlsson isn't playing well we will not play well. If he continues like this all seaosn we are a #7-#8 playoff team, or non playoff team.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Smith isn't just there to be offensive, he adds a physical presence and an intimidation, the only other guys who bring that just as effectively, are Kassian and Neil and Kassian sucks. Until we have somebody who is just as effective, I wouldn't trade him, get Simmonds though, trade smith.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Smith isn't just there to be offensive, he adds a physical presence and an intimidation, the only other guys who bring that just as effectively, are Kassian and Neil and Kassian sucks. Until we have somebody who is just as effective, I wouldn't trade him, get Simmonds though, trade smith.

Smith was on ice for 1 shot for and 12 against last game.

12 AGAINST. No ****ing physical play should allow that to be overlooked. I'd give him 5-6 more games to get his **** together though.

To be honest, he isn't half as bad as a winger. I don't know why management put:

Greening-Smith-Neil line together. Greening is stupid, Smith is even stupider and Neil just hits. That line becomes defensive liability with little to no IQ.

Greening taken away from that line= 2 assists including overtime winner.

John Holmes*

Zach Smith is an awesome. When Ottawa finally plays a physical game this season we'll all be thankful he's here. He'll stand out when the going gets tough

Yeh, he'll be the one in the penalty box.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011

Pageau will be fine but he needs bonafide 3rd line minutes without kassian...he is being wasted on the 4th line. might as well send him to bingo.

he Needs to fix up his draws a bit but the whole team needs to do that as well. Wingers are struggling at helping the centers and the D are slow reacting to pucks and leaving guys open. The struggles in the dot are a whole team effort. This should be #1 priority.

lol, every thread man. You are such a Pageau apologist. The dude barely played in the AHL, its ok to admit he might need a bit more time.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Pageau's only goal this year was due to Kassian's forechecking. Just saying.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012

Absolutely no one in this league is afraid of zack smith.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Zach Smith intimidates nobody. I have no clue why anyone would think he does. He can drop the mitts, and play physical. But he is no different than countless other guys on every other team.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick

Pageau Hate??
Did anyone even mention Pageau in this thread?? I thought this was about Smith??

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
lol, every thread man. You are such a Pageau apologist. The dude barely played in the AHL, its ok to admit he might need a bit more time.

Sure. What exactly has he done so badly that requires him being sent down? Can you point out problems with his game? The only thing i've seen is is his faceoffs. Last year he was 48% on the draws in more games. Don't you think you are jumping the gun a little?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Back to this again? LOL!

Smith is one of our more important players on the team and I will continued to support him. Getting rid of him is just dumb for a numerous amount of reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad