Calgary
12-13
Grant - 54.8 (Only 31 FO tho)
Smith - 51.8
JGP - 48.8 ( 82 FO)
Zibby - 46.4
JOB- 45.7

Stats dont lie in this case, sorry :P

Bad Memory, but the year before he was better stats-wise. And none of those other guys are putting up those numbers this year

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I like Hemsky, but I don't see where he'd fit on this team.

It would take a lot more than that to get Smith. At least 3 pieces coming back maybe 1 young roster player, a very high prospect plus a 1st or 2nd pick for Smith. Our players are much too valuable to just give away for scraps.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Trade this guy bench that guy, how about you just let the team play some games at home and get in a rhythm. Who do you suggest takes faceoffs for this team as a lefty? You know that's important right. They are also fairly soft/small upfront, Smith isn't going anywhere.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It would take a lot more than that to get Smith. At least 3 pieces coming back maybe 1 young roster player, a very high prospect plus a 1st or 2nd pick for Smith. Our players are much too valuable to just give away for scraps.

... are you forgetting the ":sarcasm:"?

I can't tell here.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Bad Memory, but the year before he was better stats-wise. And none of those other guys are putting up those numbers this year

Da Costa and Pageau are at 30%...Thats whats killing us...

Smith is lower then before but hes still 2nd on our team.

Turris at 44 :(

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto

Plus their ice girls. Actually Carolina's Ice girls in a 3 way trade.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is what I have been saying, and has baffled me considering MaClean's "best player's will play" comment regarding Zib.

It is clear that was not the case from the start, as Smith has been worse than all the current centers on the team, as well as Zib, since the beginning of training camp.

I would rather have JOB out there at this point.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Paulrus just said Smith was one of the more important players last night in the W over Phoenix. Say what you will the guy clearly is liked by the coaching staff and guys like that usually stick.

Plus its 6 games in. Everyone needs to chill a little more.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Smith has the talent hes shown that in the past but imo he might need a change of scenery or at least a change in role. Penalties have killed his usefulness. Saying that i'd call job or grant up and see if they can fill his role well smith is scratched. It's still early though and maybe all he needs is more time to get his game together.

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Guys like Smith and Greening have huge worth in the playoffs.

They are also 3, 4 line physical guys.

It's too early to be shipping somebody out, pretty weak really...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I still like Smith as a 3rd or 4th liner just not with Neil and Greening. It's a terrible line and needs to stop.

Greening-Pageau-Condra seemed to have some chemistry last year, why not try that again?

Without calling up Zibby I'd try this :

Michalek - Spezza - Conacher
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Greening - Pageau - Condra
Smith - Da Costa - Neil

Smith takes the draws and then plays wing.

I would also like to see what it would look like flipping Smith and Greening. Balances the lines a little more in terms of talent and toughness. Smith still takes the draws.

I like Hemsky, but I don't see where he'd fit on this team.

Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky

or

MacArthur (Greening?)-Turris-Hemsky

or

Greening/Conacher - Zibanejad - Hemsky

He'd be injured within 15 games anyways.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Chill the **** out.

It's an 82 game season, we havent even had a home game. We dont need to do anything to the top 6 forwards. Especially screw it up with adding a Hemsky. I cant believe this guys name comes up every two weeks.

I admit I want more from Smith but lets see where he is at in 30-40 games before we ship him out.

Lets just go with what we got for now. I cant believe the panic.

"OMGodzz sit kASSIAN, trade Smith......errr Gryba..." We're complaining about our 13 forward enforcer, 4th line center, and our 7/8 dman.

This is a good team.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky

or

MacArthur (Greening?)-Turris-Hemsky

or

Greening/Conacher - Zibanejad - Hemsky

He'd be injured within 15 games anyways.

I would never want Hemsky and Spezza on the same line. Two guys that need the puck on their sticks to be successful and can be prone to holding onto it for far too long. It would never work. A guy like Conacher or Greening will be far more effective on his line.

Hemsky is no bottom 6 player and why would we put him with Turris when Ryan and him have something great going?

And finally, why bother with Hemsky and

kohlmanator

Nov 18, 2008
Ottawa
Smith is our only left handed centre. Trading him will do more damage than good to a team that already struggles on the draw.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I was huge on this guy, as other were, but I too feel like he has run his course here in Ottawa. I think he could best serve this franchise now by being an asset in a trade.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Not a fan of trading him.
We have a lot of marshmallows on this team and Smith is one of the few that can ge nasty, take those little slashes post-scrum and win some faceoffs. His offence is never going to be amazing but 30ish points isn't unreasonable. Smith fills a role here and I'd be leery of letting him go at the moment.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
This is what I have been saying, and has baffled me considering MaClean's "best player's will play" comment regarding Zib.

It is clear that was not the case from the start, as Smith has been worse than all the current centers on the team, as well as Zib, since the beginning of training camp.

I would rather have JOB out there at this point.

Not sure what people expect from Smith given what his role is and over the first six games being switched from wing to center every second game.

Of the Smith-Greening-Neil trio Neil is the black hole IMO.

While Neil does bring his physicality, making any kind of play with the puck is not a pretty thing to watch.

Smith is being asked to play third line minutes with one winger.

Reason, some people's pick for the Calder Cup (Pageau) isn't cutting it even on the fourth line.

Bring Zibby back and play Smith as the shutdown center and the bottom two lines will show a marked improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->