Lets talk KFC

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
For years now ive been saying this. Theres something different about the chicken now.

In the 80s and 90s KFC chicken was moist, juicy and tender. That perfect amount of salt and pepper plus grease. Sure their fry game inproved, but did that signal the end?

Ive found myself at Mary Browns more n more over KFC...and even its not much better. I just want the 80s back along with McDonald's nuggets when they were good too, and the pack of honey was just as big as the other sauces. Plus they handed them out like candy instead of charging you extra

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Meh ... McDonalds nuggets used to be mystery chicken. At least now it’s titty chicken. Definitely agree about their weak sauce game.

Sep 19, 2008
There was a recent point in my life (as recently as about 2 months ago) when I would go to KFC about once or twice every 2 months to get their 8 piece of fried chicken for 8 dollars and use part of that as dinner, pulling the chicken into a rice to make a bowl. Now, all 8 pieces weren't consumed in one day (that's dangerous) but over the span of 3 to 4 days this chicken was pulled and put in rice bowls to eat for lunch.

KFC is not as bad as everyone say it is. And I used to be frightened of KFC because it was "Not healthy".

Sadly, as a result of my new healthy eatin' initiative, I can no longer set foot in KFC no matter how intense the temptation is.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
There was a recent point in my life (as recently as about 2 months ago) when I would go to KFC about once or twice every 2 months to get their 8 piece of fried chicken for 8 dollars and use part of that as dinner, pulling the chicken into a rice to make a bowl. Now, all 8 pieces weren't consumed in one day (that's dangerous) but over the span of 3 to 4 days this chicken was pulled and put in rice bowls to eat for lunch.

KFC is not as bad as everyone say it is. And I used to be frightened of KFC because it was "Not healthy".

Sadly, as a result of my new healthy eatin' initiative, I can no longer set foot in KFC no matter how intense the temptation is.

This doesn't mean shit coming from you.

member 157595

Bojangles, Zaxby's, Popeye's (particularly the REAL Popeye's that you can get in Louisiana) are all far better than KFC. Actually, Chik-Fil-A too based on their waffle fries alone.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Dinner for 4, for 1.

Sad.

CRM 114

Mar 17, 2018
Bojangles, Zaxby's, Popeye's (particularly the REAL Popeye's that you can get in Louisiana) are all far better than KFC. Actually, Chik-Fil-A too based on their waffle fries alone.
Popeye's is some of the worst fast food I have ever eaten. As for KFC, I haven't had it for 5ish years. I have a local grocer who makes Fried Chicken in their hot case and I get coupons every once in a while for a bucket. I'll do that and be good on fried chicken for awhile.

member 157595

Popeye's is some of the worst fast food I have ever eaten. As for KFC, I haven't had it for 5ish years. I have a local grocer who makes Fried Chicken in their hot case and I get coupons every once in a while for a bucket. I'll do that and be good on fried chicken for awhile.

Have you ever had the real Popeye's though? I live in MA and it's not very good up here but it rocks in Louisiana.

Unrelated, but if you know how to make fried chicken yourself it will beat Popeye's or KFC easily.

Sep 19, 2008
Have you ever had the real Popeye's though? I live in MA and it's not very good up here but it rocks in Louisiana.

Unrelated, but if you know how to make fried chicken yourself it will beat Popeye's or KFC easily.

popeyes is good

so is PUBLIX

Sep 19, 2008
Making fried chicken at home is a PITA. Fried chicken cutlets, that's a different story. That's fun.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Real talk but most fast food chains have gone to crap compared to years ago.

Swiss Chalet use to be one of the best big chain meals you could get and today it’s barely edible.

The only thing that remains from the KFC of pld is the smell. And it’s fooled me a couple of times I go re-trying it. But ya, it was once good and hasn’t been for many years.

member 157595

popeyes is good

so is PUBLIX

Publix subs are freaking terrific. Used to have them all the time when I lived in FL.

Making fried chicken at home is a PITA. Fried chicken cutlets, that's a different story. That's fun.

Do you have a really big and deep cast-iron skillet and/or deep fryer (I prefer the former)? Do you have an oil thermometer? Do you have brine and coating recipes? Do you have a setup to filter and recycle the used oil?

If the answer to any of the questions is no, you're probably not ready to fry chicken at home (not saying you specifically, I'm speaking rhetorically).

member 157595

Most people probably have no use for a deep fryer at home. The most efficient way is just to use a skillet.

I kind of agree. My extraordinarily biased opinion as a cast iron junkie is that a deep fryer simply wastes space in your kitchen (I have a small house and a baby; there's no room for wasted space here), while a deep cast iron skillet is affordable, durable and insanely versatile. I'm a weak, pathetic loser of a man and even I can handle them properly.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I kind of agree. My extraordinarily biased opinion as a cast iron junkie is that a deep fryer simply wastes space in your kitchen (I have a small house and a baby; there's no room for wasted space here), while a deep cast iron skillet is affordable, durable and insanely versatile. I'm a weak, pathetic loser of a man and even I can handle them properly.

Actually just ordered my first cast iron yesterday. Never used one. tired of buying copper pans every year though as that shit wears out.

member 157595

Actually just ordered my first cast iron yesterday. Never used one. tired of buying copper pans every year though as that **** wears out.

Dude you're a high roller I'm way too cheap to buy copper. I only have one copper pan and I baby the shit out of that damn thing. :laugh:

I've used cast iron for years. They don't cost much and if you know what you're doing you can beat those f***ers to hell and back and they keep going to work for you. They're also easy to clean if you know how.

Cast iron is exactly the opposite of copper. Copper is an extraordinarily conductive and malleable metal that transfers heat crazy fast but doesn't hold heat; cast iron is brittle, porous and doesn't conduct well but once you spend the time heating that sucker up it holds its heat no matter what you throw on there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad